Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ECB meddlers

+8
RB
The Red Rooster
offdrive4
Missing Leg
Badges
Grizzers
Jackers
KeninWestWickham
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

ECB meddlers Empty ECB meddlers

Post by KeninWestWickham Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:47 am

I urge all Surrey followers to read an article on ESPNcricinfo.com by David Hopps - ‘One of the great county rivalries, stripped of all that’s good about the game’. It relates how the ECB undermine the Twenty20 with their appalling scheduling.
Here’s a couple of pars from the article:
Surrey, the richest and most successful county club in the land, have long lobbied courageously on behalf of the pro game in England and have suffered for it. Messages - perhaps unofficial, but messages nonetheless - have been relayed in the recent past from the ECB to Surrey suggesting certain executives should be removed or silenced.

KeninWestWickham

Back to top Go down

ECB meddlers Empty Re: ECB meddlers

Post by Jackers Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:26 am

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/surrey-vs-yorkshire-one-of-the-great-county-rivalries-stripped-of-all-that-s-good-about-the-game-1323204

"In football, the club game holds sway but it has negotiated a reasonable truce with England, especially when it really matters. In England, international cricket still dominates and too often it shows scant regard for the world in which it belongs, burning resources, destroying habitats and risking sending the game into irrevocable decline. Planet ECB is consumed by greed"

Any county cricket lover who has read this and still gets pleasure from the exploits of the England team and those playing in it - Anderson, Pope, YJB and all - really doesn't get it. Candy floss fix or nourishing food that will sustain? Your choice.
Jackers
Jackers

Chinaman and KeninWestWickham like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzers Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:11 am

''Messages - perhaps unofficial but messages nonetheless - have been relayed in the recent past from the ECB to Surrey suggesting certain executives should be removed or silenced.''

If true, this is utterly shameful.

As is the silence of far too many County CEO's, presumably on the basis of fear or ambivalence.

Surrey are to be congratulated on being one of the very few Counties with the spine to stand up to the ECB.

Grizzers

dougieginn, Chinaman, Pink Panther and KeninWestWickham like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:45 pm

Joe Root (Yorkshire debut 2010) has played only once against Surrey at The Oval if my memory is correct.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Missing Leg Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:23 pm

Grizzers wrote:''As is the silence of far too many County CEO's, presumably on the basis of fear or ambivalence.

I'd add 'stupidity' to the fear and ambivalence options. Derby, Durham, Glos, Leics, Northants, Somerset and Worcs all voted in favour of the city franchise/hundred three times in three votes, even though they all knew they wouldn't host any matches.

Missing Leg

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzers Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:36 pm

That’s fair comment. The only possible mitigating factor at Somerset, were the firm assurances, reportedly repeatedly given by a certain C Graves, that games in the 💯 tournament, would indeed be played at Taunton. In the complete absence of any contractual commitment however, Somerset’s stupidity was believing it.

Grizzers

Back to top Go down

Post by offdrive4 Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:39 pm

Surrey have been better than other counties in opposing the hundred, but still sold the pass when they did not vote against creating franchises. They should be ashamed of that failure to support county cricket.

offdrive4

Jackers, Chinaman and VicNorth like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Red Rooster Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:14 am

It should be noted that as a Journalist, David Hopps would not publish this either digitally or in print unless this story was corroborated by two seperate sources.

This bodes ill for the chances of Richard Thompson getting the post of chair of the ECB Especially with so many on the selection panel having a vested financial interest in the continuation of The Hundred.

See comments from David Lloyd pre-sacking by SKY and post sacking about THe Hundred,  to see how English media pundits do not bite the hand that feeds them.

The Red Rooster

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:13 am

Badges wrote:Joe Root (Yorkshire debut 2010) has played only once against Surrey at The Oval if my memory is correct.

May be correct, 2018 I believe.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:40 am

I mean, it was where Virdi bowled him with an absolute beauty

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:25 pm

I recently wrote to both Steve Elworthy and Richard Thompson about seating "arrangements" for members.After going to The Oval since 1966 i think i'm entitled to ask why i can't sit where i like for T20 games,when there are hundreds/thousands of empty seats at every game.I can no longer get into the seats i've occupied without any problems since T20 started some 20 years ago for example.

I got a nice,hand written letter back from Mr Elworthy but nothing (so far) from Mr Thompson.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:40 pm

To be fair to Thompson, who is for me the more trustworthy of the two,  I don't think it's the role of the Chairman to get involved in logistical issues about who gets to sit where in the ground. Gould always handled such matters: the Big Dick dealt with the big picture.

But you're right about the issue. I suspect it will be even more noticeable this evening (given the short notice) that the members' areas are pretty full, while there will be more gaps in the public areas than there currently are in the Government.
Jackers
Jackers

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:51 pm

10,000 empty seats tonight but members can't use them.We stayed home.Apart from any other consideration is it sensible to herd people together while covid is still rife? My Wife and i (and our friends) caught in on a recent trip to Amsterdam.

Badges

Jackers, guildfordbat and Cee Gee like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:10 am

Jamie Smith picked up in the Hundred which means we’re now down to zero - ZERO - keepers.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by cricketman Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:58 am

Who have we got left?

cricketman

Back to top Go down

Post by KeninWestWickham Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:11 pm

The Red Rooster wrote:It should be noted that as a Journalist, David Hopps would not publish this either digitally or in print unless this story was corroborated by two seperate sources.

This bodes ill for the chances of Richard Thompson getting the post of chair of the ECB Especially with so many on the selection panel having a vested financial interest in the continuation of The Hundred.

See comments from David Lloyd pre-sacking by SKY and post sacking about THe Hundred,  to see how English media pundits do not bite the hand that feeds them.

I wouldn’t want Thommo anywhere near the ECB. How about ‘Honest’ Sepp Blatter?

KeninWestWickham

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:56 am

RB wrote:Jamie Smith picked up in the Hundred which means we’re now down to zero - ZERO - keepers.

What about your hero - Rory Burns?

Badges

Cee Gee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:58 am

Josh Blake of Sutton CC could also feature.I'll be seeing him today v Sunbury who should include Virdi in their ranks,and possibly Reifer.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:02 am

Just seen-Reifer but not Virdi.Hopefully Virdi will be on his way to Yorkshire and will get a game.

Badges

dougieginn and KeninWestWickham like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:42 pm

RB wrote:
Badges wrote:Joe Root (Yorkshire debut 2010) has played only once against Surrey at The Oval if my memory is correct.

May be correct, 2018 I believe.

Sam Curran got him out at least once. He got an England call shortly afterwards.

VicNorth

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:09 am

Badges wrote:
RB wrote:Jamie Smith picked up in the Hundred which means we’re now down to zero - ZERO - keepers.

What about your hero - Rory Burns?

Is he not in the Oval Invincibles, Badges?

RB

Pink Panther likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:07 pm

Badges wrote:Just seen-Reifer but not Virdi.Hopefully Virdi will be on his way to Yorkshire and will get a game.

Virdi on loan to Somerset! I hope he shows Surrey what they’ve been missing.

Cee Gee

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:35 pm

For one game! Ridiculous!

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:39 am

Crawley and Lees available for their counties. Doesn't make sense...

Alex!

Chinaman and RB like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:02 am

It wouldn't do!

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down