Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dom Bess again

+8
Coatesy
kjb
offdrive4
Chinaman
RB
Alex!
adelaide
dougieginn
12 posters

Go down

Dom Bess again Empty Dom Bess again

Post by dougieginn Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:19 am

I see he has been picked to play in 2nd Test, with 14 wickets @ over 40 runs per wicket. What do the see in him 36 wickets in 14 Tests withheld on fifer. Not obviously a match winner, but they still keep picking him! Virdi has 20 @ just over 20 runs, despite bowling on two roads against Leics doesn’t get a look in. Hard to understand the Silverwood’s thinking.

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Dom Bess again Empty Re: Dom Bess again

Post by adelaide Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:54 am

I think they are worried at the length of the tail already, without bringing Virdi into the mix. If the all rounders were available I don't think Bess would get close to getting in ahead of Leach, not that Leach is that shabby with the bat.

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:58 am

Merely a backup for a Leach who I suspect was always going to play on Thursday

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:06 pm

I like Bess more than most, but agree with the comments about Virdi above.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:33 pm

Could be a very long tail starting at 7 depending on who is in the final 11. Whatever, I hope they'll make a better effort than that awful Sunday performance. N Z really look a much better balanced organised unit than England's ever changing bits and bobs side. Best bowler out of course in Robinson.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:38 pm

Looking at the news, it looks like another naughty boy who posted bad tweets 100 years or so ago is being looked into. Lets see who maybe pulled from the squad next. They've opened up a can of worms here and need to put a lid on it quickly.

Chinaman

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by offdrive4 Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:43 pm

Dougie, please do not encourage England to pick Virdi, I would much rather see him play for Surrey. Best keep quiet.

This board is a much pleasanter place with the trolls missing!

offdrive4

Jackers and Badges like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kjb Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:07 pm

This board is a much pleasanter place with the trolls missing!

I couldn't agree more

kjb

Badges likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:11 pm

Most people could look back on their youth and find things that they did or said that they now regret.

dougieginn

Chinaman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:52 pm

Absolutely agree. I doubt hardly anyone is that squeaky clean to criticise others for things they did years ago.
I've just seen, Daily Mail again, that Anderson, Butler and Morgan have had old tweets made public, where "unnamed others" have
deleted their social media accounts. I really wonder why well known people bother with social media at all. It just invites trouble.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Coatesy Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:54 am

be interesting to see what the ECB do, now that it has come out that Anderson has tweeted offensive stuff in the past. Rightly or wrongly, they have kind of backed themselves into a difficult corner

The 3 players mentioned are all important to the England set up. Anderson is about to become the most capped player, Morgan is the ODI captain and about to go into a World T20 campaign, and Buttler is a player in all formats.

Going back to the original comment about why has Bess been picked, I would imagine its to do with the balance of the side. I wasnt aware that Robinson could 'bat a bit', so if you replace him with Stone or Leach, either 1 of them or Wood, Anderson or Broad will have to bat at 8 (not sure Overton will be picked, again because of previous social media problems)

Wouldnt surprise me if Stone comes in for Wood, and Bess for Robinson

Coatesy

Back to top Go down

Post by paultpm Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:24 am

I believe Overton’s ban stemmed from alleged comments he made on the pitch as opposed to any social media issues.
paultpm
paultpm

Back to top Go down

Post by Vauxhall Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:48 pm

Chinaman wrote:Absolutely agree. I doubt hardly anyone is that squeaky clean to criticise others for things they did years ago.
I've just seen, Daily Mail again, that Anderson, Butler and Morgan have had old tweets made public, where "unnamed others" have
deleted their social media accounts. I really wonder why well known people bother with social media at all. It just invites trouble.

That’s easily the worst. Claiming Butler saying “very well played sir” is taking the piss out of Indians is pure desperation.

An absolute joke that they’ve banned Robinson. But that’s what happens when the woke crew is around.

Vauxhall

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:57 pm

I'm not a fan of many of the individuals who have represented England over the past 15 years or so. I call them the "Billy Big Bollocks Club": sadly I think that the central contracting system has brought out the worst. Contrast with New Zealand, a much more humble and likeable bunch of blokes.  

But the ECB created such a system. Hanging those whose behaviour is a reflection of it out to dry reminds me of the way they encouraged Durham to over-reach themselves to become an international venue and then punished them when, largely as a result, they fell into financial difficulties. Not only does the ECB reap what it sows, but it does not hesitate to pull the rug away rather than accept its share of the blame.

Robinson is a different kettle of fish: unlike the likes of Anderson, Morgan, Buttler etc he was unsullied by the whole England set-up until recently, his offending texts were sent when he was just 18. Prince Harry used to dress as a Nazi in those days, but you won't hear a word said against him by the woke brigade who were calling for Robinson's head on a platter. Instead they celebrate how mature and enlightened he has become.

It's a funny old world.
Jackers
Jackers

Vauxhall likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:38 pm

Is that all Butler said? Blimey the nutters are really coming out of the asylum now.
My dear old Mum used to say "the devil makes work for idle hands". How true. This woke  brigade or whatever they call themselves might try and do something useful in society.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Vauxhall Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:56 pm

Chinaman wrote:Is that all Butler said? Blimey the nutters are really coming out of the asylum now.
My dear old Mum used to say "the devil makes work for idle hands". How true. This woke  brigade or whatever they call themselves might try and do something useful in society.

Yep. When the demand for racism outstrips the supply, you know the woke brigade are running out of ideas.

“Screenshots have also been shared of a message by Buttler in which he says "I always reply sir no1 else like me like you like me' and, separately, Morgan includes Buttler in a message which says, "Sir you're my favourite batsman"

Vauxhall

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:17 am

And Root says that they are going "to stand together in unity" again this morning. Bad idea. I hope that there isn't yet another well timed "revelation" .

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:38 pm

kjb wrote:This board is a much pleasanter place with the trolls missing!

I couldn't agree more

Definitely although I would prefer more about Surrey cricket and less about covid.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum