Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guardian article on the campaign to stop the HPR trashing county cricket

+2
Badges
SimonH
6 posters

Go down

Guardian article on the campaign to stop the HPR trashing county cricket Empty Guardian article on the campaign to stop the HPR trashing county cricket

Post by SimonH Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:07 pm

Good article

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/aug/24/lancashires-awkward-squad-ready-to-battle-for-county-crickets-future

Need to delay this as long as possible until Thommo is ECB Chair, and then he can start sorting the whole mess out.

SimonH

Pink Panther likes this post

Back to top Go down

Guardian article on the campaign to stop the HPR trashing county cricket Empty Re: Guardian article on the campaign to stop the HPR trashing county cricket

Post by Badges Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:31 pm

Don't hold your breath.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Guardian article on the campaign to stop the HPR trashing county cricket Empty Re: Guardian article on the campaign to stop the HPR trashing county cricket

Post by adelaide Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:28 pm

Just received an email to members from Middlesex. It might be relevant to what members of other counties want to seek.

The gist is
- already received a lot of emails from members
- will be holding an online forum for members
- will also be sending out an online survey to members
- members' opinions will be listened to and will form the basis of any decisions we make on proposed changes to the game
- no proposals received yet
- any changes need support from 12 of the 18 counties
- no foundation to reports that a cut in the number of FC counties in 2023 is proposed
- no foundation to reports that a cut in the amount of red ball cricket in 2023 is proposed

The potential weasel words in those last two indents are "in 2023" and "red ball cricket". The latter could mean North vs Midlands or Gentlemen vs Players!

I'm not sure that "form the basis" can ever equate to following the exact wishes of the members, as members could easily vote for a course of action that is illegal or guarantees bankruptcy! However, if Middlesex members say firmly that 14 CC matches is a must, it will surely be difficult for the county to vote for anything that  includes a reduction.

I think the Lancashire guys have done very well in mobilising organised opposition within other counties. I'm not au fait with what Surrey have said to their members though.

adelaide

SimonH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonH Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:39 pm

Thanks Adelaide, that’s very helpful. There has been no public statement from Surrey yet.

SimonH

Back to top Go down

Post by offdrive4 Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:58 pm

Thanks Adelaide. Well done Lancs members. I know I am paranoid about the ECB and it's machinations, but they cannot be trusted to care about cricket. I think they only care about the bottom line.

offdrive4

SimonH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:06 am

Official: no reduction in championship fixtures for 2023. That should allow Thommo time to get a grip of the ECB.
Jackers
Jackers

SimonH and Pink Panther like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:45 pm

Crikey! I'd never even heard suggestion that the number of counties would be reduced as soon as 2023!

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down