Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big fan of Jason Roy but ...

+10
Keith Powell
Coatesy
Chinaman
Badges
Pink Panther
guildfordbat
dougieginn
RB
Jackers
SimonH
14 posters

Go down

Big fan of Jason Roy but ... Empty Big fan of Jason Roy but ...

Post by SimonH Fri May 19, 2023 8:54 pm

... this is just a bizarre article. He's decided he wants to take the T20 money (which is fine, of course, they have a short career and need to maximise their earnings - no complaints about that) but apparently it's his schedule's fault that he doesn't play more FC cricket.

"Unfortunately the way my schedule works out and is set up, especially over the next couple of years, red ball is few and far between. There is barely any. I haven't given up on it. I am still contracted to Surrey in the red-ball stuff but my schedule just doesn't really allow it based on T20 franchise cricket all around the world at any given time."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/65647011

Quiz question: Without looking it up, when was the last time he played FC cricket for Surrey?

SimonH

Pink Panther and Vauxhall like this post

Back to top Go down

Big fan of Jason Roy but ... Empty Re: Big fan of Jason Roy but ...

Post by Jackers Sat May 20, 2023 9:20 am

The last game I remember him playing was the final match of our 2018 championship season, when we lost by one wicket to Essex after a miraculous second-innings recovery, which included a century from Jason. He may have turned out for us in one of the COVID John seasons, but if he did it passed me by.
Jackers
Jackers

SimonH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Sat May 20, 2023 10:11 am

Unfortunately I do remember because I'm a cricketing badger and have a great memory for these things. He played in August 2020 in a horror show against Hants at Arundel (because England had commandeered the Rose Bowl) and he made two low scores as we lost by an innings.

RB

SimonH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonH Sat May 20, 2023 10:31 am

So I guessed the same as Jackers, but RB is right.

And JRoy wonders why his Test career is over!

SimonH

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Sat May 20, 2023 2:46 pm

Can’t see a place for Jason in our CC side,might play in RLODC though!!

dougieginn

SimonH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun May 21, 2023 8:48 am

Deleted original post as situation summed up perfectly and far better by Pink below.

Last edited by guildfordbat on Sun May 21, 2023 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Pink Panther Sun May 21, 2023 8:51 am

SimonH wrote:... this is just a bizarre article. He's decided he wants to take the T20 money (which is fine, of course, they have a short career and need to maximise their earnings - no complaints about that) but apparently it's his schedule's fault that he doesn't play more FC cricket.

"Unfortunately the way my schedule works out and is set up, especially over the next couple of years, red ball is few and far between. There is barely any. I haven't given up on it. I am still contracted to Surrey in the red-ball stuff but my schedule just doesn't really allow it based on T20 franchise cricket all around the world at any given time."
Seriously, what planet is he on? Where does his "schedule" take him while we're playing half our Championship matches during June, July and September? I can see the attraction for players of the financial rewards from playing IPL and 100, but surely any English player serious about playing red ball cricket shouldn't be signing for any other franchises during our own domestic season? I don't know why he's even still contracted to Surrey when his priorities are clearly elsewhere. He's really no different to an overseas player parachuting in just for the Blast.
Pink Panther
Pink Panther

dougieginn, SimonH, guildfordbat, Badges, Keith Powell and Vauxhall like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Sun May 21, 2023 7:59 pm

Does he ever go home?

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Sun May 21, 2023 8:21 pm

He wouldn't get in the current side even if he were serious, and to be honest we don't want him. He sold his soul to hit and giggle cricket.

Chinaman

SimonH, Badges, Keith Powell, Vauxhall and VicNorth like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Coatesy Thu May 25, 2023 11:59 am

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/cricket/exclusive-jason-roy-to-walk-away-from-england-central-contract/ar-AA1bFzds?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=2cc645c8a3c447d6aff21119fdb3dca0&ei=7

seems he is ready to walk away from his England contract as well, and that would also put him in doubt for the later stages of the T20 campaign

Coatesy

SimonH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Thu May 25, 2023 12:16 pm

Coatesy wrote:https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/cricket/exclusive-jason-roy-to-walk-away-from-england-central-contract/ar-AA1bFzds?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=2cc645c8a3c447d6aff21119fdb3dca0&ei=7

seems he is ready to walk away from his England contract as well, and that would also put him in doubt for the later stages of the T20 campaign

According to Cricinfo the Blast and Hundred will still have priority for Roy.

RB

SimonH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Powell Thu May 25, 2023 1:04 pm

Really is time Surrey got rid of him .
Thankfully as I don't watch T20 I won't be seeing him play that's if he is making himself available.

Keith Powell

Badges likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Coatesy Thu May 25, 2023 1:47 pm

I tend to agree

Love him as a player, and he can, when in the mood, destroy any attack in the world.

However, what is the point on us using up the budget on someone who is rarely going to play for the County. It seems that should we progress further in the T20, he may not even be around for the final stages of the tournament

Coatesy

RightArmSlow likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Thu May 25, 2023 2:01 pm

There was apparently a meeting at The Oval this week to discuss the problem of county contracts being fleeced by franchise players.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/county-directors-call-for-urgent-review-into-standard-contracts-amid-franchise-exodus-1378028

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Thu May 25, 2023 2:44 pm

Love him or Hate him, I’m neither he does put bums on seats. Personally speaking my memory of T20 matches are erased within 30 minutes of its completion.

Jhe10077

VicNorth likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Thu May 25, 2023 3:15 pm

The proliferation of one-day competitions around the world has reached epidemic proportions. While there is no tradition of cricket in America, the so-called "short" form of the game - suitably padded with "strategic time-outs" - is  tailor-made for American broadcasters and audiences. And unlike the IPL, this will take place in the heart of our summer.

"They go away and play elsewhere and when they come back they want time in the indoor centre, the benefit of the best coaches advising them on their game, just to get ready to go off and play in another franchise competition somewhere else," Alec Stewart told Sky Sports. "'Oh and by the way, I've got a little injury so can I get treated by the physio, the doctor, the medical staff and can I get rehab as well?'"

Of course Alec is right to complain about the injustice, but it's a bit rich not to recognise that this is exactly how the ECB have treated the best players under central contracting for years. Surrey has invested in developing the Currans, Jason Roy, Ollie Pope and many more. Once England come knocking, the national selectors don't give us a second thought. When they are injured on England duty, it is our physios and medical staff that treat and rehabilitate them, using our facilities. Furthermore, rather than campaigning via the ICC to de-escalate the extsistential threat that franchise cricket presents, the ECB instead added fuel to the fire by introducing the wretched Hundred. "If you can't beat them....get your troughs in the snout and help trash the game".

So you won't find me slagging off Jason Roy. He is a symptom and a product of all that is wrong - he is not the cause.

Last edited by Jackers on Thu May 25, 2023 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jackers
Jackers

offdrive4 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Coatesy Thu May 25, 2023 3:49 pm

Jackers

I couldnt agree more that Jason isnt the cause of the problem, but a symptom of the issue of cricket worldwide. When he started his Surrey career in 2008 this country was the only 1 (i believe) playing T20 cricket, and it came at the right time for his type of player. He has also had the opportunity to make alot of money playing the game all over the world.

My problem is 1) the other part of the message you wrote, that he (and others) want to use their county facilities when they are in the country and 2) the comment that he made only last week that he still has small hopes of getting back into the test team, when he would actually struggle to get into his county team as he does play enough red ball cricket

Of course, this country started the problem with the introduction of T20, and have increased it further with the even shorter format.

Coatesy

Jason likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Thu May 25, 2023 4:30 pm

For me it’s the “say one thing and do another” aspect of the Roy conversation I am upset about. Last week he talked about wanting to play red ball cricket and whinged about his schedule. This week he is resigning his England contract to play in the US, when he had a perfect opportunity there to take time off thanks to the ECB’s veto of its players playing MLC.

Being generous, this suggests he doesn’t know where his head is at, and I would advise him to avoid public speaking for now.

RB

Pink Panther likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Thu May 25, 2023 10:37 pm

Get rid.

VicNorth

Jason and Badges like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:12 pm

Taped some Cricket today without realising that it was the 10 over fiasco.All the usual suspects were involved.Roy slogged 84 not out off 39 balls with seven sixes.Dan Lawrence was also involved.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Pink Panther Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:33 pm

Badges wrote:Taped some Cricket today without realising that it was the 10 over fiasco.All the usual suspects were involved.Roy slogged 84 not out off 39 balls with seven sixes.Dan Lawrence was also involved.
No doubt it will be decided (either by the ECB or SCCC) that some of these players are in need of a break and should be rested from county games at some point between April and September next year.
Pink Panther
Pink Panther

Jason, Badges, Chinaman, VicNorth and Wokoval like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by offdrive4 Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:14 pm

Absolutely, if he wants to play CC for Surrey he needs to play.less T20 cricket abroad. Roy was a useful red ball batter a few years ago. Anyone know if he is off to the IPL this year? If he is around he will walk into our 50 over team. Roy needs to get his head down and work to recover his red ball form, does he have the desire?

offdrive4

Wokoval likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:52 am

JR wont play red ball cricket again. He has 2 chances of getting back into the test side. Slim and none and slim just left town. He will play for our T20 blast team.

Steve

VicNorth likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:57 pm

Seem to remember that it wasn’t long ago that players were only contracted for the length of the cricket season.It was changed to benifit the players with the stability of a yearly contract,rather than only employed for a three months or so during the year. They all had to get jobs for the rest of the year to survive. Now it seems they want it both ways.

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down