Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For God's Sake - PLAY SOME PROPER BATSMEN!!!

3 posters

Go down

For God's Sake - PLAY SOME PROPER BATSMEN!!! Empty For God's Sake - PLAY SOME PROPER BATSMEN!!!

Post by David Waghorn Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:33 pm

How many more T20 games are we going to have to watch with Surrey playing just two proper batsmen (Jacks & Smith)??!! At the club's AGM a big thing was made about how we were going out to try and win all competitions we entered and that the T20 was definitely high on the agenda. Well after these performances against Sussex, Gloucs and even Kent (where we were lucky to win), we are now in significant danger of not even getting out of the southern group.
The batting is PANTS!!! Keep the damn ball along the ground for 4's instead of continually trying to smash 6's. Jordan Clark & Jamie Overton are 2 of the worst for this and it is so annoying because both of them can bat properly. I posted months ago that with the loss of Sangakharra, then Hashim Amla, it was the Club's batting that needed strengthening with their overseas appointments, especially if there was going to be a concerted effort in the T20. It is batsmen that win the T20 not bowlers!! We are playing all these so-called all rounders but you have to have at least 4 proper batsmen in the T20. I have to really question how Evans and Tom Curran even warrant their places at the moment. I know that Narine is a very good T20 bowler but his batting has been dreadful whereas in the previous 2 years it was pretty good. It was a complete disaster when Roy got that calf injury before the first match and an immediate rethink was needed. If Will Jacks gets out early (which he obviously will do on occasions) we are virtually down to the tail. Why isn't Geddes being given a go? What about the young man Blake and of course why isn't Foakes playing as England don't want him at the moment? The selection policy and the batting order is so strange it must be encouraging the opposition even more and of course most of the other counties like nothing more than beating us!!!

David Waghorn

dougieginn, Badges, Chinaman and Andy1210 like this post

Back to top Go down

For God's Sake - PLAY SOME PROPER BATSMEN!!! Empty Re: For God's Sake - PLAY SOME PROPER BATSMEN!!!

Post by Chinaman Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:52 am

I've just posted something similar in the other thread. Indeed there's enough players, give them a go. What about that young spinner whose name eludes me at this hour, that impressed in the ODC last year? It may be Foakes is being ECB "rested" just in case Bairstow fails, but yes this stuff is a batsmen game, without runs your stuffed,  so not sure why were playing 8 or 9 bowling "all rounders". Unfortunately the beer soaked punters want to see 6s flying into their pints, rather than proper shots along the ground!
As most of you know I'm not a fan because I find most games just too similar and actually boring,  BUT if we're going to play it, at least pick the right players for the job.

Chinaman

Jackers and dougieginn like this post

Back to top Go down

For God's Sake - PLAY SOME PROPER BATSMEN!!! Empty Re: For God's Sake - PLAY SOME PROPER BATSMEN!!!

Post by Jackers Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:20 am

I agree with most of this. We are at least one batsman suited to this format short. In my view, we have been for many years, but we tended to get away with it when at least two of the stellar Roy, Finch and more recently Jacks were in our ranks.

Where I am not so sure I agree is that we have anyone currently in reserve that is effective enough in this format. Geddes has been tried a few times, he is still young I guess but still ..Burns can score fluently in championship cricket but seems to struggle to get through the field in T20. Sibley is Sibley. Foakes I am guessing is being rested on the orders of the ECB. Patel might be worth a go, based on some of the power hitting he has shown since his Guildford knock two years ago. But as we now have a vacancy for an overseas player in our roster we must surely use it, while we still have a chance to qualify.
Jackers
Jackers

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down