Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Members Forum

+10
adelaide
blueboy26
Olympian2
RB
Chinaman
Alex!
Basileus1453
The Red Rooster
Jackers
Chappers
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Members Forum Empty Members Forum

Post by Chappers Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:25 pm

Did anyone attend or indeed watch on Zoom? Did Stewie humiliate any old boys? How did the interim CEO do?
Chappers
Chappers

Back to top Go down

Members Forum Empty Re: Members Forum

Post by Jackers Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:34 pm

The interim CEO did ok. His section was relatively short, and he answered the handful of questions put to him well enough.

Alec Stewart took the lion's share of the questions. For the first time, he seemed to this observer like a despondent, almost broken man resigned to the situation we are in and portraying us as a victim of circumstances which are only likely to get worse. Instead of the usual defiance and bravado about others "having to step up" to cover absences and injuries. he pretty much just rattled through each absence and concluded, effectively, "we're in the mire".

While he did not go so far as to say he hates the Hundred, every time he mentioned it was in the context of the extent to which counties, but Surrey especially, would suffer. Yet the Chairman Richard Thompson in his opening remarks chose to emphaise its importance in financial terms to counties and how we need it to succeed. There, in a nutshell, is what is wrong with our county. Completely mixed messaging, and a polarity of priorities depending on whether they think we exist primarily to generate as much revenue for the game as possible or primarily to be as competitive as possible on the pitch.

I would not be surprised if Alec jacks it in at the end of the season. I would actually respect it if he does, so long as he takes the opportunity to use his new-found freedom and influence to join the resistance movement. At present, his hands are clearly tied.

Last edited by Jackers on Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jackers
Jackers

dougieginn, Missing Leg and offdrive4 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Red Rooster Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:48 pm

Brief Notes

ECB has invested £ 40 million in the Hundred according to Richard Thompson. There is some evidence that The Hundred is cannibalising T20 sales even though this year has been members only (presumably from refunded sales from non-members) .

Surrey have no interest in taking "Oval Invincibles" into the fold

The ECB have created its own ticketing system for The Hundred and are not using the Counties directly hence the cost.

Alec Stewart confirms Surrey will have a squad of 14 for the Royal London Cup with other countries less affected by The Hundred having near full strength sides.

Surrey did approach Kumar Sangakkara for a limited comback but Kumar declined

Injury Update
Reece Toply - will hopefully be back for Gloucester T20 at Cheltenham.
Liam Plunkett - Calf injury in 2nd Team inApril - May be back for The Hundred
Jamie Overton - Calf Injury current game will not bowl
J Taylor - Side Injury in Second Team may be back for RLC
Ben Foakes - May be back for middle / end August
Olly Pope - As per papers may be back for 1st Test v India.
Connor Mc Kerr - Had major knee operation, loan to Derby T20 brought back to Oval due to Injury Crisis
Jade Dernbach - Loaned to Derby for T20 Campaign - Now Self Isolating for 10 days following Derby postponement

Sack Darrren Veness ? - No Current players schedule not comparable to old days so more injuries occurring

Planning
Around October-November Surrey get fixture list- Alec has to factor in England Fixtures Test, ODI and T20, THe IPL explanding next season so more players absent and carrying on to June, and now The Hundred taking players in August.

On the England question it is his and Vikram Solanki's role to develop players who are ambitious and want to play for England which is what happened after 2018 and, in that respect, they are back to square one. but it is not his role to either "go down the Simon Harmer" route or sign mediocre players for the club.

His job is to factor all this in and have a competitive side. In this respect, losing Sean Abbott to a hamstring tear was crucial this year as he was earmarked for the all rounder role. He was replaced by Kyle Jamieson who tore his Glute after bowling 6 overs in the Hampshire Innings. The other seam bowlers in that match Clarke, Clarke and Overton tiring as the game went on

They have signed Ravi Ashwin for the Championship and Tim David for the T20 because with Will Jacks also with England there is no big hitter in the Surrey ranks.

With the COVID postponements the nightmarre is one of The Hundred teams having to self-isolate thus further denuding the Surrey RLC squad. Alec does not really care about The Hundred like the majority.

Performances
No excluises for Day 2 batting performance at ther Ageas Bowl it was "very very poor." There may be other poor performances this season coming up with what is left.

Not ideal having young inexperienced batsmen against Kent in T20 but all the club has at present. By the sound of it a competitive season hangs on the result of the Gloucester T20 game

County Championship confirmed by Alec and Richard Thompson as still the Gold standard but as Surrey cannot make Division One, and now have four meaningless Championship games in September. IN addition yto an enfeebled RLC side in July / August. Alec hoping for a return to pre-2020 County Championship structure

The Rest
Charlie Hodgson (who I always think of as a bald Saracens & England Fly Half) confirmed.

If the Oval Test Match against India, which has sold out at the Ashes rate, goes ahead as planned Surrey will begin to recoup some of last years losses.

The T20 this year has been underwritten by the ECB on the basis of the last 4 years Surrey T20 attendances so has not made a loss despirte being members only.

Surrey have an India (ODI) and South Africa Test next year but no dates as yet.

Other questions were on the absolutely crucial issues of Beer / Club shop tokens from the club as refunds for games lost to the membership and whether or not you can watch soccer on the TV on the second floor of One Oval SquareThe MAR Galadari stand (not for T20 but wiould be considered for Championship games)  Neutral

The Red Rooster

dougieginn, Missing Leg and John Hamilton like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chappers Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:55 pm

many thanks for the comprehensive reports!
Chappers
Chappers

Back to top Go down

Post by Basileus1453 Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:57 pm

'Surrey have no interest in taking "Oval Invincibles" into the fold

The ECB have created its own ticketing system for The Hundred and are not using the Counties directly hence the cost.'

I'm actually curious as to whether this membership benefit would be carried into other seasons. Notice that Middlesex do not offer this but understand that they offered a deep discount of tickets.

Basileus1453

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Red Rooster Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:49 pm

Basileus1453 wrote:'I'm actually curious as to whether this membership benefit would be carried into other seasons. Notice that Middlesex do not offer this but understand that they offered a deep discount of tickets.

This was announced by Charlie Hodgson as a bit of a minor triumph that Surrey Members had free admission to The Hundred. Apparently there is only one other county where you do not pay admission . That is of course if The Hundred appeals to you... Evil or Very Mad

The Red Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Basileus1453 Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:10 pm

The Red Rooster wrote:
Basileus1453 wrote:'I'm actually curious as to whether this membership benefit would be carried into other seasons. Notice that Middlesex do not offer this but understand that they offered a deep discount of tickets.

This was announced by Charlie Hodgson as a bit of a minor triumph that Surrey Members had free admission to The Hundred. Apparently there is only one other county where you do not pay admission . That is of course if The Hundred appeals to you... Evil or Very Mad

This is my first season watching cricket so have got something of a bug. It kind of feels shortened. Will obviously try to get time off work for the one day cup matches. May or may not go to the matches for the 100 but I understand the concerns of everyone and must say it is looks tacky.

I'm coming from the perspective that the renaming of the new stand seems to be a financial decision, so would wonder what is offered by way of membership next year.

Basileus1453

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:34 pm

There is no such thing as 'free admission', hate the language on this when we pay membership fees

Am I a horrible person for wanting the new competition to fail badly?

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:44 pm

Alex! wrote:There is no such thing as 'free admission', hate the language on this when we pay membership fees

Am I a horrible person for wanting the new competition to fail badly?

Not at all. It has to fail whatever the immediate financial hit may be, for the sake of the great game continuing as we know it. Maybe it'll rain through August. More immediately worrying for all cricket is the two current County Games affected by positive Covid tests. That could easily spread. I suppose if it puts a couple of teams out of the 100 that would be some compenstion.

Chinaman

Jackers and offdrive4 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:58 pm

I watched on Zoom, although I seemed to miss the first 30 minutes because of the technology involved. Not sure if my end or Surrey's.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Olympian2 Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:58 am

RB wrote:I watched on Zoom, although I seemed to miss the first 30 minutes because of the technology involved. Not sure if my end or Surrey's.

I suspect it was the latter. I was also waiting for a good while for the Host to let me in.
Olympian2
Olympian2

RB likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy26 Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:42 am

Did he say they were interested in buying The Cricketers or did I mishear? Every time I walk past it I wonder what it would be like if it opened up again...

blueboy26

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:31 am

blueboy26 wrote:Did he say they were interested in buying The Cricketers or did I mishear? Every time I walk past it I wonder what it would be like if it opened up again...

Surrey buying cricketers? Surely not?

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Basileus1453 Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:37 am

adelaide wrote:
blueboy26 wrote:Did he say they were interested in buying The Cricketers or did I mishear? Every time I walk past it I wonder what it would be like if it opened up again...

Surrey buying cricketers? Surely not?

I suppose it would be beyond the price range of Surrey Membership?

Basileus1453

Back to top Go down

Post by paultpm Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:50 am

I was not at the meeting but Surrey have purchased The Ovalhouse Theatre and The White House (birth place of Field Marshal Montgomery).

In 2019 developers proposed to build residential units and a new pub on the site of The Cricketers - not sure if this has been passed by Lambeth Council.

I have fond memories of the old pub. Spend a day at a Sunday League match and on to The Cricketers to see the likes of John Cooper Clarke, Frank Sidebottom and many punk bands.

Quite sad to see it closed up all these years.

I was surprised that seemingly Surrey never attempted to purchase it.
paultpm
paultpm

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy26 Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:08 pm

I don't know much about the pub trade but surely in the right hands, it could be turned into a success?

Would be rammed pre and post big international match days / T20's. Get some decent food in to cater to the new residents in the development next door etc

blueboy26

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:31 pm

I think that Surrey did attempt to buy the Cricketers pub, they had ambitious plans to build a connecting bridge across the road to the Oval. Don’t think they offered enough money!

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy26 Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:35 pm

Think they mentioned looking at the Beehive as well!

I was interested in plans to keep parts of the pavilion open all year round. Would be handy for me as a local resident but not sure how many others would use it regularly on non-match days...

blueboy26

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:30 pm

I don’t know what to think about the new stand. Keep feeling as though I’m about to walk somewhere I shouldn’t be, and moreover are there any food outlets in the Pavilion now without the Hundreds bar or Tea Room?

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Missing Leg Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:45 pm

Interesting piece about the Cricketers pub and it's rich musical heritage below... Wreckless Eric, Frank Sidebottom, The Birthday Party.... sadly kicked into the long grass by Thatcher's 'Beer Orders' offensive sometime in the 80s.

https://jimdriver.com/pub-rock-revisted

Last edited by Missing Leg on Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edited because I forgot to include the bleeding link)

Missing Leg

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:54 pm

RB wrote:I don’t know what to think about the new stand. Keep feeling as though I’m about to walk somewhere I shouldn’t be, and moreover are there any food outlets in the Pavilion now without the Hundreds bar or Tea Room?
alien

I agree. It is a fantastic facility, but I am starting to get the impression they see it mainly as an elite dining cash-cow rather than a place where members can sit and enjoy a cup of coffee, or sit inside on a cold, miserable day. I hope I'm wrong.
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy26 Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:22 pm

Jackers wrote:
RB wrote:I don’t know what to think about the new stand. Keep feeling as though I’m about to walk somewhere I shouldn’t be, and moreover are there any food outlets in the Pavilion now without the Hundreds bar or Tea Room?
alien

I agree. It is a fantastic facility, but I am starting to get the impression they see it mainly as an elite dining cash-cow rather than a place where members can sit and enjoy a cup of coffee, or sit inside on a cold, miserable day. I hope I'm wrong.

They should mix up the furniture a little more, with sofas' larger tables etc (maybe after social distancing measures change). Might make it feel a little less sterile. It feels a little strange having garden furniture regimented in lines across a large space.

blueboy26

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:03 pm

All right if your into £25 lunches and expensive beer. I 'd rather go to the cafe or bring my own, not really interested in expensive facilities, I'd rather they sorted out the vast problems on the pitch.

Chinaman

Badges likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Winston Churchill Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:37 pm

They should mix up the furniture a little more, with sofas' larger tables etc (maybe after social distancing measures change). Might make it feel a little less sterile. It feels a little strange having garden furniture regimented in lines across a large space.

[/quote]

I think a few pouffes would be nice. Give it a more homely feel !
Sir Winston Churchill
Sir Winston Churchill

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:55 pm

On another note can anyone suggest an area within the new development that would be ideal for working with a laptop whilst the game is on? Just realised I can't take the days off for the Somerset/Warwickshire games, so it's likely I'd have to work at the ground when they're on...

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum