Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possible multiple points deductions for Essex

+2
adelaide
Peter.M.Gardens
6 posters

Go down

Possible multiple points deductions for Essex Empty Possible multiple points deductions for Essex

Post by VauxhallRey Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:53 pm

Last edited by VauxhallRey on Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
VauxhallRey
VauxhallRey

Back to top Go down

Possible multiple points deductions for Essex Empty Re: Possible multiple points deductions for Essex

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:11 pm

Hopefully it has no bearing on the Championship we beat them twice and win at a canter. Is there any chance the authorities actually will bring in the points deduction this season?
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Possible multiple points deductions for Essex Empty Re: Possible multiple points deductions for Essex

Post by adelaide Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:54 pm

Peter - I would have thought a good chance. The illegal bat one has to be in the season in which the offense occurs while Yorkshire got their points deduction for previous sins midway through last season.

Can't argue with the case for deductions but from the neutral cricket fan's point of view it would be a shame if it turned the CC into a one horse race all over by July.

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:04 pm

Some - including the head batmaker at Gray Nicolls - suggest that the laws of physics tell you there is nothing to be gained from using an oversized bat.

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:31 pm

Thanks for the link, VauxhallRey. I was asking the other day on the ''Kent away'' thread if anyone knew what the position was here - at least, as regards the outsize bat.

Nic Maddinson used an outsize bat for Durham in 2022 and they were deducted 10 points as a consequence. Without knowing the background and circumstances, it's hard not to expect a similar penalty to apply to Essex and, assuming that happens, they only have themselves to blame. Even without any intent, the use of such an unauthorised bat was clearly contrary to the rules and surely reckless.

I'm far less keen on points being deducted from the current Essex side for things apparently said by those at their Club more than ten years ago and sometimes going back about thirty. That's not to condone such words and actions but imo individual bans and/or financial penalties would appear more fair and appropriate. I appreciate the apparent precedent of the Rafiq and Yorks case may lead to a points penalty for Essex but that's not the road I would choose to go down.

guildfordbat

RightArmSlow likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:01 pm

Throw the book at the wide boys and their pints of shandy. Win at all costs so would do us a favour if the mockneys got points deducted.

Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by VauxhallRey Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:53 pm

[quote="guildfordbat"

Nic Maddinson used an outsize bat for Durham in 2022 and they were deducted 10 points as a consequence. Without knowing the background and circumstances, it's hard not to expect a similar penalty to apply to Essex and, assuming that happens, they only have themselves to blame. Even without any intent, the use of such an unauthorised bat was clearly contrary to the rules and surely reckless.

I'm far less keen on points being deducted from the current Essex side for things apparently said by those at their Club more than ten years ago and sometimes going back about thirty. That's not to condone such words and actions but imo individual bans and/or financial penalties would appear more fair and appropriate. I appreciate the apparent precedent of the Rafiq and Yorks case may lead to a points penalty for Essex but that's not the road I would choose to go down.

[/quote]

Maybe not reckless, but without doubt very careless.  I would assume that every dressing room has one of the bat gauges.

I agree that the Essex allegations are much less recent than what Yorkshire had points deducted for, so would be surprised if the points deduction were as severe. But calling a Muslim "bomber" and repeatedly offering bananas to a Jamaican-born player as recently as 2013 is arguably worse than what happened at Headingley.
VauxhallRey
VauxhallRey

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:49 am

VauxhallRey wrote:[quote="guildfordbat"

Maybe not reckless, but without doubt very careless.  I would assume that every dressing room has one of the bat gauges.

I agree that the Essex allegations are much less recent than what Yorkshire had points deducted for, so would be surprised if the points deduction were as severe. But calling a Muslim "bomber" and repeatedly offering bananas to a Jamaican-born player as recently as 2013 is arguably worse than what happened at Headingley.[/quote]

Hi again VauxhallRey,

Without knowing the ins and outs of what went on and was said at either Headingley or Chelmsford, I tend to agree with your last sentence. I would just feel uncomfortable effectively penalising current players for what went on largely or entirely before their time. I suspect many Surrey supporters would feel the same if something from 10, 20 or 30 years ago at the Oval were to surface now and we be faced with a points deduction for this season threatening Championship ambitions. More appropriate imo to try and go after the individuals from that time.

Anyway and whatever the exact circumstances, it's hard to see how Essex can avoid a points deduction for one of their current players using an outsize bat in light of the Maddinson & Durham precedent. That seems right to me. Whilst I wouldn't want us to win the Championship because of it, Essex shouldn't be allowed to breach the game's regulations without penalty.

guildfordbat

VauxhallRey likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by VauxhallRey Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:57 am

I completely agree. Just not sure how the ECB would justify no point deduction at all given what they did to Yorks. Unfortunately, they have set a precedent.
VauxhallRey
VauxhallRey

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:29 am

VauxhallRey wrote:I completely agree.  Just not sure how the ECB would justify no point deduction at all given what they did to Yorks.  Unfortunately, they have set a precedent.

One of the main reasons i stopped watching Football was the non punishment of clubs breaking the law, making the league a total joke, and destroying any integrity in the competition. You have to bring in the punishment as early as possible, and its even more important to do so if there is that precedant. RE: Outsize bat.

The other subject is obviously far more complicated.

Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:44 pm

I was hoping someone might be interested in the force = mass x acceleration conversation. It would be great if there was an actual physics teacher on here.

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum