Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Love the board....but can we ditch "dislike"?

5 posters

Go down

Love the board....but can we ditch "dislike"? Empty Love the board....but can we ditch "dislike"?

Post by Jackers Mon May 24, 2021 11:27 am

Firstly, well done Marcus for setting up this board which so far as I can see is a huge upgrade on its predecessor.

Quite apart from the core issue of requiring users to register as members, it is altogether more pleasing on the eye and very much more user-friendly. I'm particularly grateful for the spell-check facility and the "edit" button, as it was so frustrating not to be able to correct a typo or perhaps word something slightly differently after a few minutes' reflection once I'd hit "send".

The one thing (ironically) I dislike is the "dislike" button, which strikes me as a recipe for creating unnecessary friction and adversarial reaction. I've already seen one example on another thread where a member is understandably wondering what it was about his post that someone "disliked". If we feel strongly enough about what someone else has said to disagree, far better to respond and explain to them and to everyone else what it is we take issue with.

If I get lots of "dislikes" in response to this suggestion then I will of course respect that other people feel differently, but I feel it adds little value and can only breed confusion or resentment.

Last edited by Jackers on Mon May 24, 2021 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jackers
Jackers

Owen B, guildfordbat, Olympian2, offdrive4, DBeesley and BristolRob like this post

Back to top Go down

Love the board....but can we ditch "dislike"? Empty Re: Love the board....but can we ditch "dislike"?

Post by Owen B Mon May 24, 2021 12:16 pm

That's a good idea to do it pre-emptively. They did similar on another message board I frequent, while keeping the 'likes'. People were anonymously 'disliking' posts for particular posters, which was a tad unfair! Not that any of the fine people on here would do that, but would clear up misunderstandings.
Owen B
Owen B

Back to top Go down

Love the board....but can we ditch "dislike"? Empty Re: Love the board....but can we ditch "dislike"?

Post by Missing Leg Mon May 24, 2021 1:16 pm

Another suggestion...

Judging by my experience on another thread, it appears that a poster can start a thread, illicit a reply and then go back to edit the thread title and the opening post after the replies have started to come in. This could lead to some very strange threads that don't make sense to anyone, particularly one with many replies.

Perhaps it would be possible to prevent the editing of thread titles and individual posts once subsequent posts have been made?

I hope this request makes sense. Sorry to add to your workload, Marcus. Refusal will not offend.

Missing Leg

Back to top Go down

Post by The Red Rooster Mon May 24, 2021 9:43 pm

Instead of a dislike button why not an "ignore" button. Which simply means that if you have a particular poster who irritates you you can always opt not to see their posts.

This works on other messageboards and since the idea behind trolling is to elicit a reaction Trolls would soon clear off the board.

The Red Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue May 25, 2021 11:56 am

Still getting to grips with the admin of the new messageboard, but I think I have now worked out how to omit dislikes.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://ovalworld.forumotion.com

Owen B, guildfordbat, Olympian2 and BristolRob like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum