Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steve Elworthy appointed as CEO

+8
Chinaman
Jackers
The Red Rooster
RB
dougieginn
Cee Gee
Coatesy
Alex!
12 posters

Go down

Steve Elworthy appointed as CEO Empty Steve Elworthy appointed as CEO

Post by Alex! Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:06 pm

We'll see how things pan out, but in terms of a cricketing background it seems to be a fairly astute appointment

https://www.kiaoval.com/steve-elworthy-appointed-new-chief-executive-of-surrey/

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Steve Elworthy appointed as CEO Empty Re: Steve Elworthy appointed as CEO

Post by Coatesy Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:56 pm

looks a very astute appointment. Remember him as player and has worked in a number of high profile positions

however, 1 question remains. What is position on the Hundred!!!!

Coatesy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:16 pm

My memory of him as a player was as an overseas for Lancs (I think) and they left him out of one of the end of season cup finals. Sounds like he’s been better off the field.

Cee Gee

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:36 pm

At least he has a cricket background. Hope this appointment is not the only one this season.

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:41 pm

George Dobell is here to pour cold water… and reading this excerpt, I think I’d rather keep cheerful Charlie.

The move is an eyecatching one, given that Elworthy's most recent role at the ECB was to oversee the final arrangements for this year's inaugural season of the Hundred - a tournament which Surrey's previous regime had strongly opposed, not least given the success that the Kia Oval has enjoyed in staging regular T20 Blast sell-outs in recent years.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Coatesy Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:56 pm

well that answers that question then

wondered if he was asked about it in the interview. Unless I missed it I notice it wasnt mentioned in the announcement by the club

Coatesy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Red Rooster Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:28 pm

Coatesy wrote:looks a very astute appointment. Remember him as player and has worked in a number of high profile positions

The question is not Steve Elworthy's position but what is that of Surrey these days ?

And is the club raking in the cash from Food and Drink sales during the Hundred - Which is leaving the non-test counties vexed at the Test Match / Hundred venues perceiving an additional war chest being created to sign up their players ?

I note Richard Thompson's absence from the last members forum....

The Red Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:57 pm

The Red Rooster wrote:
Coatesy wrote:looks a very astute appointment. Remember him as player and has worked in a number of high profile positions

The question is not Steve Elworthy's position but what is that of Surrey these days ?

And is the club raking in the cash from Food and Drink sales during the Hundred - Which is leaving the non-test counties vexed at the Test Match / Hundred venues perceiving an additional war chest being created to sign up their players ?

I note Richard Thompson's absence from the last members forum....

There was mutiny in the shires when we snapped up Cameron Steel 🙃

Cee Gee

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:46 pm

Hiring someone who has been Director of Communication and Marketing at the ECB for the past 11 years does not immediately inspire confidence in either his ability or, more importantly, his values.

I don't know whose ultimate call the appointment was,,,,, The Chairman? The General Committee?.... but unless he has managed to convince those we rely on to appoint in the best interests of Surrey that he has 'seen the light' about the failings of the organisation for whom he has worked for so long and wants to help us move in a very different direction then I am staggered that he got the gig.

Last edited by Jackers on Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jackers
Jackers

Sir Winston Churchill and Pink Panther like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:05 pm

Strikes me this is more likely about smoothing Surrey to improve "relationships" with the ECB.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:26 pm

Jackers wrote:Hiring someone who has been Director of Communication and Marketing at the ECB for the past 11 years does not immediately inspire confidence in either his ability or, more importantly, his motivation.

I don't know whose ultimate call the appointment was,,,,, The Chairman? The General Committee?.... but unless he has managed to convince those we rely on to appoint in the best interests of Surrey that he has 'seen the light' about the failings of the organisation for whom he has worked for so long and wants to help us move in a very different direction then I am staggered that he got the gig.

It seems like it was a toss up between him and Hodgson; can't deny the latters* knowledge at the club but everything about him just seems to be of a bloke who's expertise is all things commercial. Right now, I'd rather the cricket on the field was sorted, and feel like Elworthy might fare better at sorting the current mess out.

I'm sure he'll realise what he's signed for during the next members event

Last edited by Alex! on Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:41 pm

Alex! wrote:
Jackers wrote:Hiring someone who has been Director of Communication and Marketing at the ECB for the past 11 years does not immediately inspire confidence in either his ability or, more importantly, his motivation.

It seems like it was a toss up between him and Hodgson; can't deny the formers knowledge at the club but everything about him just seems to be of a bloke who's expertise is all things commercial. Right now, I'd rather the cricket on the field was sorted, and feel like Elworthy might fare better at sorting the current mess out.

I'm sure he'll realise what he's signed for during the next members event

Hi Alex - typo, I think. You mean ''the latter's'', right? On that understanding, I'm very much with you.

In the announcement of Elworthy's appointment, Richard Thompson refers to Hodgson's ''commitment and hard work''. I've no reason whatsoever to doubt that. However, we need someone with gravitas and presence to lead Surrey. Although I don't know much about Elworthy, I suspect he's the much better bet to meet that vital requirement for a Chief Executive.

Although I understand and share many of the frustrations of Jackers and distinguished others, such as my cyber friend Offdrive, concerning the ECB, I feel that any solution for Surrey - even a partial one - will have to be achieved through negotiation rather than outright war. Only time will tell but Elworthy's background should be advantageous there.

I also hope that Elworthy's own playing background will enable him to understand and, importantly, act upon the concerns felt by many members over the last three years where as a first class county in the Championship and limited overs competitions we haven't even trod water but actually gone backwards. Richard Thompson in the announcement refers to our successes in the last year as including a record number of Members, opening the Galadari Stand and continuing to develop a hotel adjacent to the ground. I don't dispute any of that but they should not be used to detract from our increasingly poor performances and results. A blind mole can see that some action is needed and, following proper evaluation, I trust that Elworthy will ensure it is taken regardless of how many established feathers it may ruffle.

guildfordbat

Robertoflondon, dougieginn, offdrive4 and Pink Panther like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robertoflondon Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:05 am

This seems to me spot-on. Arguments about positions taken on The Hundred are water under the bridge (though discussions about scheduling are definitely not), and the #1 priority now is to close the vast gap between our remarkable off-field successes (I would almost say triumphs) and our on-field failures (I would almost say embarrassments). The money we are making in the former is not, to put it bluntly, being invested well in the latter. Tails are not good at wagging dogs.

On-field we have failed to adjust to the full implications of central contracts, which are about commitment to the county by affluent test players; we have failed to make good picks from elsewhere to build a challenging side; we should never have been in a position where we had to borrow a wicketkeeper at short notice; we have a very worrying injury record; and I have (admittedly from the outside, as one never knows 90% of what goes on in the dressing room) serious doubts about both coaching and cricket direction. If the new gaffer sorts that lot out and keeps bringing in the money I'll be happy.

Robertoflondon

dougieginn and guildfordbat like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by offdrive4 Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:45 am

Dead right Guildford. You make an excellent point about negotiations, I think we have to accept that the hundred is, unfortunately, unlikely to collapse, so it is a matter of sorting out the situation. I would like to see the blast merged with the hundred with the counties taking over from the franchises, but doubt that will happen. Negotiations can for example improve the fixture list and the release of players by the ECB when they are not actually playing for England.

offdrive4

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:19 pm

Richard Thompson in his announcement of our “success “ these omits to mention our lack of success in the area that matters most to our members, on the field!!!!

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:00 pm

I see that Watmore has resigned as ECB Chairman 10 months into a 5 year stint. Wonder if Elworthy would have taken the job had he hung around a bit...

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Post by Pink Panther Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:37 am

Alex! wrote:I see that Watmore has resigned as ECB Chairman 10 months into a 5 year stint. Wonder if Elworthy would have taken the job had he hung around a bit...
I think that's a different type of role (and technically a part time one) to the more hands on roles that Elworthy seems to have had. He'd probably be a better fit for Tom Harrison's role, which I believe commands a much higher salary than the chairman's, although seeing as Harrison won the World Cup (according to Colin Graves) he's probably got the job for life now.
Pink Panther
Pink Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down