Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Solanki gone

+7
Jackers
Missing Leg
Badges
Chinaman
Cee Gee
offdrive4
Alex!
11 posters

Go down

Solanki gone Empty Solanki gone

Post by Alex! Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:35 am

As reported in the press a few days ago

https://www.kiaoval.com/vikram-solanki-leaves-role-as-surrey-head-coach/

Personally think this can only be a good thing

Alex!

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Solanki gone Empty Re: Solanki gone

Post by offdrive4 Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:48 am

Solanki had a wonderful reputation as a coach, but that did not seem to be reflected on the field. Possibly his man management skills were not as good as his technical knowledge.

We need to appoint a new coach as soon as possible. Chris Silverwood or Thorpe may be available, but I suspect our England players would not favour either. Gibson might have been a possible if he had not gone to Yorkshire. I think it needs to be an outsider to arrive with a new broom and sort the squad out.

offdrive4

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:57 am

Too much noise around both Silverwood and Thorpe, wouldn't go near them at all.

Wonder if Graham Ford is available, or if Stewie just does the job himself

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:55 pm

I’m looking forward to everyone welcoming Graham Thorpe back with open arms and ignoring that he’s just been Englands batting coach.

Cee Gee

Badges likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:23 pm

Cee Gee wrote:I’m looking forward to everyone welcoming Graham Thorpe back with open arms and ignoring that he’s just been Englands batting coach.

It's funny isn't it, both Thorpe and Ramps were great batsmen, but lousy coaches which contributed to England's awful performance. I'd probably prefer Stewart.

Last edited by Chinaman on Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chinaman

Cee Gee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:41 pm

Thorpe please.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Missing Leg Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:42 pm

Solanki, nice bloke but a disastrous coach for us. Seems to have gone of his own accord at a good time, which is a blessing.

Thorpe, a not a very nice bloke and a disastrous coach. Doing/did his best to coach the talent out of Pope and Crawley, the two most naturally gifted English batsmen since Root. Also filmed players on a piss up and then (seemingly) flogged it to the Aussie papers. Wouldn't touch him with a double-length barge pole for the Surrey job.

Missing Leg

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:17 pm

I thought he would be harder to get rid of than Boris. No idea why we did not make the change straightaway at the end of last season. Perhaps the answer is that the right man wasn't available until recently....it's interesting that Graham Ford resigned from Ireland as recently as November for somewhat nebulous reasons, citing "bubble fatigue" and "family commitments". I hadn't realised that he is 61 now, so a few years older than Stewie. Not an issue for me  - if he's good enough, he's young enough.

Thorpe?  I'm don't think his reputation can have been enhanced by his time with England. And with the ex-ECB bloke as our new CEO and "Mr England-first" as Director of Cricket the last thing we need is a cricket coach who is fresh out of that set-up. We need someone in this power triumvirate who is completely free from the ECB's tentacles, on whom we can rely to always put Surrey cricket interests first.
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:54 pm

Interesting, given the general view of his tenure, that he has left for another job.

Both Thorpe and Ramprakash (and Richard Johnson, apparently) are said to be on the Middlesex short list (can a list of nine - allegedly - be short?), though any reports have to be treated with some caution. The events of the tour cannot have helped Thorpe's cause for either the Surrey or Middlesex job.

Chris Adams has joined the Sussex board, committee or something so I can't use my usual line...

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:28 pm

Solanki’s resignation a blessing in disguise given how poor we were in 2021 - with a full-strength squad for large parts.

Graham Ford please.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by surreybrowncap1956 Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:11 pm

Is Chris Adam's available?

surreybrowncap1956

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:15 pm

adelaide wrote:Interesting, given the general view of his tenure, that he has left for another job.

Both Thorpe and Ramprakash (and Richard Johnson, apparently) are said to be on the Middlesex short list (can a list of nine - allegedly - be short?), though any reports have to be treated with some caution. The events of the tour cannot have helped Thorpe's cause for either the Surrey or Middlesex job.

Chris Adams has joined the Sussex board, committee or something so I can't use my usual line...

... but somebody else did!

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:37 pm

It still seems that Stewart is still in post, despite the fact that he chose both Solanki and de Veneto! I think he is the problem and no the two coaches. I would go for Ford and give him Stewart’s job.

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:12 pm

Diva won the title and Solanki was a decent-in-theory appointment…

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Missing Leg Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:48 am

Quite right, Stewie can't be criticised for Solanki's appointment. It was early 2020, few international flights, quaranteening, Diva stuck in another country and couldn't get over for the last year of his contract. Had to pick a coach at short notice who was in the country already. No option but Solanki at the time. Probably should have given him the boot last year, though.

Missing Leg

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:43 am

Stewart is ultimately responsible for his appointments, Diva was sacked, not because he couldn’t get here from Australia. That was not the reason he was given the boot. Stewart himself could have done the job until a suitable candidate was found. I’m sure Giles will be sacked along with Silverwood, The same is true of Surrey, It Stewart is fireproof,despite his poor record.

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:12 pm

Yes,let's let Ford come and go whenever it suits him. Sad

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down