Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

South Wilts Third Eleven should count themselves lucky he didn't bowl too

3 posters

Go down

South Wilts Third Eleven should count themselves lucky he didn't bowl too Empty South Wilts Third Eleven should count themselves lucky he didn't bowl too

Post by Jackers Mon May 30, 2022 3:12 pm

Former England and Surrey all-rounder Rikki Clarke divided opinion on social media after he posted a screenshot of the scorecard from his appearance in a club game over the weekend.

Clarke, who retired from first-class cricket last summer at the age of 39 and represented England in 22 internationals from 2003 to 2006, scored 229 playing for Shrewton Cricket Club’s first XI in Division Two of the Hampshire Cricket League against South Wilts Cricket Club’s third XI.

Clarke’s 109-ball stay at the crease featured 22 sixes as his side scored 385-7 off their 45 overs. It was Clarke’s third league outing of the summer; he had only scored 28 runs across his previous two league games in 2022.

Clarke attracted some criticism online for playing against a club third team but was praised and defended by a whole host of former professionals. Former England bowler Simon Jones tweeted: “Ignore them [those criticising Clarke] Clarkey, there’s always going to be a minority who are envious and enjoy trying to create, take it as a compliment, you’re a huge asset to the club, smile and keep doing what you’re doing.”

Another former England Test cricketer, Gavin Hamilton, defended Clarke, saying: “ Cannot actually believe this is being questioned.”

The three-time County Championship winner also highlighted how, aside for turning out for Shrewton, he has put in a lot of time helping to improve the club. In a further tweet, he said: “Spent about two days of my time jet washing the decking and helped paint it after to make the pavilion look better for potential visitors and new recruits. Went to winter nets to help coach all senior teams and did free junior coaching classes for new junior recruits.”
Jackers
Jackers

Keith Powell likes this post

Back to top Go down

South Wilts Third Eleven should count themselves lucky he didn't bowl too Empty Re: South Wilts Third Eleven should count themselves lucky he didn't bowl too

Post by Alex! Tue May 31, 2022 4:01 pm

Personally don't have an issue with it, but I'm not the one bowling to him. At the end of the day if ex-pros want to give back, help out clubs and enjoy it then why not?

To put it into perspective, a 15 year old lad got Alastair Cook out last week, something they'll never forget

Alex!

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

South Wilts Third Eleven should count themselves lucky he didn't bowl too Empty Re: South Wilts Third Eleven should count themselves lucky he didn't bowl too

Post by The Red Rooster Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:01 pm

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2022/06/05/former-england-star-divided-club-cricket-world/

If you were on your way to Stonehenge last Sunday and passed the nearby village cricket ground at Shrewton, you could have been forgiven for thinking fireworks day had arrived early. Because there were some serious pyrotechnics being launched that afternoon.

Rikki Clarke, the former Surrey all-rounder who played Test and one-day cricket for England in the Noughties, was enjoying himself. Playing in Division Two of the Hampshire League against South Wilts third XI, he scored 229 off 109 balls, including 22 sixes. It helped his team reach 385 for seven off just 45 overs.

But when he posted news of his score on social media, he came in for some serious criticism. What was the point of a former international hammering club bowlers, was the complaint. How was that going to help the game? And if he insisted on playing a village match, why could he not behave like Alastair Cook recently did and get himself bowled out cheaply by a 15-year-old?

“I’ve got pretty thick skin, so it washed over me a bit,” says Clarke of the online brickbats. “Besides, the lad who got me out was actually 15.”

Clarke, though, is adamant that his innings was not detrimental to the club game. Far from it: he believes more ex-pros should return to the grass roots after their first-class careers are over to encourage its growth and development.

“We were looking for a club for my eight-year-old son to join,” says Clarke, who retired from Surrey last season at the age of 39 and played two Tests and 20 ODIs for England. “The closest one to us was Shrewton, and we really liked the people there, they are amazing. It’s a small village club, with a lot of people working hard behind the scenes, giving up their time to mow lawns, do the teas and so on.

“Talking to them, I realised they want to learn how to grow the club. And it was my opportunity to give back ideas, so I got involved at a committee level. Then they jokingly said: Fancy a game? So I said, ‘Yeah, why not?’ I still felt physically up for it.”

These days as the head of cricket at King Edward’s, an independent co-educational school in Witley, Surrey, he was already embroiled in encouraging young people into the game. But he recognised that smaller clubs such as Shrewton were increasingly finding it hard to compete with other demands on people’s time.

“The only way to progress as a club is to stop the bigger teams taking your better players,” he says. “One way to stop that is to have a team that wins. So I said ‘yes, I’ll play, see if I can help you do that’. I could have played semi-pro but I felt this was a better use of my skills.”

Unable to play every week because of school commitments, he nevertheless turned out whenever he could.

“I played in a warm-up game at the start of the season, got 37, then played in a couple of league games and got 14 in both of them,” he says as he prepares for a midweek evening fixture at Rockbourne in Hampshire. “I’m hoping the lads who got me out will now have a tale to tell: the day they did an ex-England player cheaply.”

But then came Sunday’s thrashathon, when he properly unleashed his talent. As the ball endangered the local windscreens, did he not think it might have been kinder to the opposition to retire, say, when he reached his century? Was flogging 229 really necessary?

“Listen, I know I am playing a couple of notches below myself, but I have an obligation to help Shrewton win. It is winning that will put them on the map. If I’d retired and the team had lost, then I wouldn’t be doing that. Honestly, of the four games I’ve played, that is the only one that I have made a winning contribution.”

Besides, he says, the reaction in the media to his knock – Shrewton were mentioned on the local television news and on TalkSport – mitigated any concern.

“It kind of put them on the map in a way I’m not sure me scoring a couple of 14s had done,” he says.

But even so, does he not worry that his exploits might disillusion the poor bowlers who were dispatched all over Salisbury Plain?

“I don’t know about that. I think it’s part of the learning process. I remember when I was 14 I played for Guildford against Jimmy Adams, who was turning out as a pro in the Surrey League warming up for a West Indies tour, and he whacked me to all parts. That season I faced Ian Bishop bowling rapid at me. Didn’t put me off. In fact, I think it encouraged me.”

Which means on the village greens of Wiltshire and Hampshire over the rest of the summer, there may well be more to come

The Red Rooster

Pink Panther likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down