Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rory Burns

+3
Cee Gee
offdrive4
RB
7 posters

Go down

Rory Burns Empty Rory Burns

Post by RB Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:17 pm

A rare bit of good news as the Oval Invincibles have allowed him to play for Surrey in the One Day Cup. He is still “drafted” to the Oval side but like an international team they have “released” him.

His (for now) central contract with England means they cannot replace him, so this is an odd step.

RB

Back to top Go down

Rory Burns Empty Re: Rory Burns

Post by offdrive4 Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:30 pm

Good. I would think the Invinicibles have the right to recall him, if not it does seem strange.
Solves the captaincy problem. With so many players away Surrey will not be able to field a strong side in the one day cup. I hear Stewart has also said overseas players will play only in an emergency in this competition. Our team is likely to be young and it will give us a chance to see more of our youngsters like Lawes and give Virdi a chance to perform.

offdrive4

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:40 pm

RB wrote:A rare bit of good news as the Oval Invincibles have allowed him to play for Surrey in the One Day Cup. He is still “drafted” to the Oval side but like an international team they have “released” him.

His (for now) central contract with England means they cannot replace him, so this is an odd step.

If they’d watched him play in the Blast this season then there’s no way this can be described as an ‘odd step’ - but good news for Surrey at least.

Cee Gee

Pink Panther and RightArmSlow like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:50 pm

I thought he was more than useful in the Blast…

Virdi doesn’t play white-ball for us so I don’t think he’d play.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by offdrive4 Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:59 pm

I think Virdi might play 50 over games, not suitable for 20/20 I agree.

offdrive4

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:13 pm

Worrall missing the competition with injury, with any luck fit and firing for September

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Post by RightArmSlow Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:36 pm

Any chance other franchises will release other players that arent in their plans, even for the odd match. The likes of Atkinson or Moriarty might be useful.

RightArmSlow

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:52 pm

Atkinson is still crocked as far as I'm aware...

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:08 pm

I think the short answer is no. Rory was in a unique situation as a contracted player who was just given to a franchise. They didn’t draft him and I doubt anybody will next season when he’s no longer England contracted. It probably also helped that the Oval franchise is run by Surrey so they could pull some strings to get him released. If he was even half decent at T20/100 they’d have kept him.

Cee Gee

Pink Panther likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Red Rooster Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:47 pm

Inadvertantly you havbe hit on the issue dividing the Counties. The 100 Grounds keep a lot of matchday revenue and it is felt by the smaller counties they are using this to poach players (i.e. Chris Jordan - Sussex to Surrey, Phil Salt Sussex to Lancashire, Moeen Ali Worcestershire to Warwickshire, Matt Milnes Kent to Yorkshire and today Benny Howell from Gloucestershire to Hampshire).

It is one way traffic, and for all the talk of unity in the Counties, Category B and C Counties (i.e. Non Test and Non 100) have met seperately regarding Wednesday's future structure meeting.

Like it or not, the Oval Invincibles are seen as Surrey under another name. A view given credence when last year the 100 coach at Manchester Originals blurted out they were Lancashire under another name.

Releasing an England contracted Surrey player from the Oval 100 team may not have any impact on the RLC but does indicate that the "home" franchise can assist the host.

Surrey have been very quiet on the 100 recently apart from glowing references in the 2021 handbook. Worth asking why.

The Red Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:41 pm

Not doubting any of your points here RR but I don’t think the context of Rory being a poor T20/100 player should be lost here. It wouldn’t have happened otherwise.

Anyway, turns out Rory is ‘recharging his batteries’ ahead of the CC returning and isn’t playing anyway!

Cee Gee

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:53 pm

I don’t think he was “poor” - averaged 25.25 @ SR 112 so not bad at all. Works for Root and Pope.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:06 pm

RB wrote:I don’t think he was “poor” - averaged 25.25 @ SR 112 so not bad at all. Works for Root and Pope.

If ever there was a case for ignoring the stats and using your eyes!

Cee Gee

RightArmSlow likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:18 pm

Given I thought he did OK I think it’s a case of numbers don’t lie.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by KeninWestWickham Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:18 pm

The Red Rooster wrote:Inadvertantly you havbe hit on the issue dividing the Counties. The 100 Grounds keep a lot of matchday revenue and it is felt by the smaller counties they are using this to poach players (i.e. Chris Jordan - Sussex to Surrey, Phil Salt Sussex to Lancashire, Moeen Ali Worcestershire to Warwickshire, Matt Milnes Kent to Yorkshire and today Benny Howell from Gloucestershire to Hampshire).

It is one way traffic, and for all the talk of unity in the Counties, Category B and C Counties (i.e. Non Test and Non 100) have met seperately regarding Wednesday's future structure meeting.

Like it or not, the Oval Invincibles are seen as Surrey under another name. A view given credence when last year the 100 coach at Manchester Originals blurted out they were Lancashire under another name.

Releasing an England contracted Surrey player from the Oval 100 team may not have any impact on the RLC but does indicate that the "home" franchise can assist the host.

Surrey have been very quiet on the 100 recently apart from glowing references in the 2021 handbook. Worth asking why.

I see little connection between the ‘Rey and the Invisibles. I understand they were captained last year by a man of Kent who likes to tweet about Ronaldo, the Queen of the other Old Trafford. I am counting the days till this clownfest ends

KeninWestWickham

Jackers and Jason like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:59 pm

Ollie Robinson (not that one) has been released from Manchester to play for Kent so it’s not completely strange I guess. Robinson made a 200 today as well!

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:18 pm

RB wrote:Ollie Robinson (not that one) has been released from Manchester to play for Kent so it’s not completely strange I guess. Robinson made a 200 today as well!

Not doubting your info but where does it say this? I can’t see reference to him being released by Manchester. I’ve only seen reference to him taking advantage of the other Kent keepers playing in the Hundred.

Cee Gee

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:33 am

Maybe it was “that” Robinson that’s been released then!

“Tom Abell, Somerset's captain, has been ruled out of his Birmingham Phoenix stint because of a hamstring injury, while Ollie Robinson (Originals) and Rory Burns (Oval Invincibles) have been released to play in the Royal London Cup for their counties.”

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by RightArmSlow Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:35 am

Sibley was also released to play in the RLODC. I live in hope that we might be gifted a couple of fringe players for the odd game or 2.

RightArmSlow

Back to top Go down

Post by The Red Rooster Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:25 am

I see little connection between the ‘Rey and the Invisibles. I understand they were captained last year by a man of Kent who likes to tweet about Ronaldo, the Queen of the other Old Trafford. I am counting the days till this clownfest ends

Hers a Daily Telegraph article on just the point I was making
.https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2022/08/04/smaller-counties-fear-growing-divide-lucrative-hundred-venues/

And if Surrey really are not plugging this as a "home" side why the social media deluge about the Oval Invicibles from the club accounts yesterday. - Perhaps someone might as this on Sunday between innings

Failing to see the connection between Sam Billings, Ronaldo and this thread, but Billings freudian slip about players being better off at The Hundred than with their counties which he later backtracked on is perhaps more relevant.
https://wisden.com/series-stories/sam-billings-defends-franchise-comments-after-criticism-from-county-fans

The Red Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down