Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rory Burns contract

+5
VicNorth
Cee Gee
Missing Leg
RB
Howzat
9 posters

Go down

Rory Burns contract Empty Rory Burns contract

Post by Howzat Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:39 am

Anyone know how long it is? I suspect because of his historic form (which has now deserted him) he’s not cheap. Do we have faith he’ll come good, or offer him a salary better suited to his current performance or get rid?

I don’t like knee jerk reactions to a temporary drop in form but he does stand out like a sore thumb in what otherwise is a good side. Is this a permanent stonemanesque drop or can he turn it around?

Howzat

Back to top Go down

Rory Burns contract Empty Re: Rory Burns contract

Post by RB Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:57 am

He’s the captain of the club and he will be a triple-Championship winning captain.

Silly question, he can stay as long as he likes.

RB

dougieginn, Missing Leg, Badges and Ray AFCW like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Missing Leg Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:08 pm

Yes, silly question. Burns has way more than enough credit in the bank to survive a blip.

Probably the worst barnet on the county circuit, mind you. Having said that, I think a couple of the Middlesex lads run him close.

Missing Leg

dougieginn and RB like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:03 pm

Some supporters have very strong views on certain players who dare to maximise their earning potential across a short career but the mere existence of a thread on here to discuss potentially ditching our captain just shows they are entirely right to look out for themselves.

Cee Gee

dougieginn, SimonH and MatthewC like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:18 pm

Wasn't there a belief among some that he was contemplating retirement?

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:38 pm

I still think that is a live possibility. His prolonged slump seems to me to be more about his state of mind than his technical ability. I'm not sure what other irons he may have in the fire post-cricket, but it wouldn't come as a surprise if he (rather than Surrey) makes the call after September, especially if we retain the championship. He would be able to go out as a three-time title-winning skipper, on a par with Adam Hollioake.
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by optimistnot Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:34 am

Howzat wrote:Anyone know how long it is? I suspect because of his historic form (which has now deserted him) he’s not cheap. Do we have faith he’ll come good, or offer him a salary better suited to his current performance or get rid?

I don’t like knee jerk reactions to a temporary drop in form but he does stand out like a sore thumb in what otherwise is a good side. Is this a permanent stonemanesque drop or can he turn it around?

Yes he will come good. But he does not have the opportunity to do so in a low pressure environment between first team games, that is there are no 2nd eleven games this month.

optimistnot

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by offdrive4 Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:57 pm

Burns batted well against Middlesex in tricky conditions recently, an innings that prevented us from getting into early trouble. I think he should play the rest of the 50 over games to try to find some consistent form for the Championship run in. As for next season, I suspect that the loss of his Test spot hurt deeply and he knows that he will not get it back while Bazball is being played. Burns has to focus on getting back to being the good solid county batter he has always been, if he cannot do that then sadly it is time for him to step down at the end of the season. Basically does he want it enough?

offdrive4

Jackers and Jason like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:10 am

So if he doesn’t score enough runs between now and the end of the season it’s because he doesn’t want it enough? What a thread this is.

Cee Gee

RB likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:06 am

It's up to him and not really for us to speculate. But you know maybe he's just out of form?

Chinaman

dougieginn and RB like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down