Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

County cricket supporters - "They couldn't make it worse".......Andrew Strauss "Hold my Beer!"

4 posters

Go down

County cricket supporters - "They couldn't make it worse".......Andrew Strauss "Hold my Beer!" Empty County cricket supporters - "They couldn't make it worse".......Andrew Strauss "Hold my Beer!"

Post by Jackers Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:46 am

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-11128601/English-cricket-set-NEW-red-ball-competition-played-alongside-Hundred.html

Struass is proposing ANOTHER new competition during August. To try and sugar the pill about reducing the number of championship matches, he is apparently going to propose either: (a) regional red-ball matches in August (so we would play Essex, Kent and Middlesex) or (b) regional teams playing "exhibition matches" against one another (for example, a "home counties" team comprised of players from ourselves, Essex, Kent and Middlesex) v teams comprised of players from northern, midlands and south/west counties..).

What you would end up with is fairly meaningless matches which no doubt a lot of the best red-ball players who were not involved in the Hundred would just opt out of, just as Rory Burns, Hashim Amla and Kemar Roach have chosen to skip the RLC. It would end up being the red-ball equivalent of the RLC, with lots of second-raters and academy players wheeled out to make up the numbers.

We have to oppose this and continue to push for an unreduced county championship programme, in which all red-ball players are expected to play, including centrally contracted players unless England are playing at the time.
Jackers
Jackers

dougieginn and VicNorth like this post

Back to top Go down

County cricket supporters - "They couldn't make it worse".......Andrew Strauss "Hold my Beer!" Empty Re: County cricket supporters - "They couldn't make it worse".......Andrew Strauss "Hold my Beer!"

Post by kjb Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:12 pm

Strauss should be stripped of his Knighthood for suggesting such a ludicrous idea.
Has he forgotten how he became a test match player? By learning the trade in the County Championship.

kjb

dougieginn and Keith Powell like this post

Back to top Go down

County cricket supporters - "They couldn't make it worse".......Andrew Strauss "Hold my Beer!" Empty Re: County cricket supporters - "They couldn't make it worse".......Andrew Strauss "Hold my Beer!"

Post by VicNorth Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:43 pm

I hate Andrew Strauss.

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:16 pm

I don't hate him, though I do find the annual "Red for Ruth" day at Lord's rather self-indulgent. It must have been terrible for him to have lost his wife,  other top sportsmen have done so too (eg Glenn McGrath). The ECB could support cancer charities without making it all about SAS and having all the red everywhere.

Last edited by Jackers on Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:25 pm

See my post in other thread?

SAS?

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:19 pm

Jackers wrote: I don't hate him, though I do find the annual "Red for Ruth" day at Lord's rather self-indulgent. It must have been terrible for him to have lost his wife,  other top sportsmen have done so too (eg Glenn McGrath). The ECB could support cancer charities without making it all about SAS and having all the red everywhere.

There is the "pink test" at the SCG for Jane McGrath (day 3 of the SCG test) so I'm not sure about this particular quibble.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down