Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welbeck Coliery Tuesday vs Notts

+6
RB
Badges
adelaide
Admin
Keith Powell
Chinaman
10 posters

Go down

Welbeck Coliery Tuesday vs Notts Empty Welbeck Coliery Tuesday vs Notts

Post by Chinaman Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:50 pm

Well nothing in the game for us although Notts has an outside chance if they win. I'm here for a couple of days. Lovely area and a really
picturesque small ground, a bit like Chesterfield. Notts players were practicing earlier, no sign of Surrey. Hope they come!  Can hold 2000. Staying in a fabulous old farm house really isolated.
A few Surrey fans coming up. Will keep you posted.

Chinaman

KeninWestWickham likes this post

Back to top Go down

Welbeck Coliery Tuesday vs Notts Empty Re: Welbeck Coliery Tuesday vs Notts

Post by Keith Powell Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:00 pm

Chinaman wrote:Well nothing in the game for us although Notts has an outside chance if they win. I'm here for a couple of days. Lovely area and a really
picturesque small ground, a bit like Chesterfield. Notts players were practicing earlier, no sign of Surrey. Hope they come!  Can hold 2000. Staying in a fabulous old farm house really isolated.
A few Surrey fans coming up. Will keep you posted.
Could do a bit of mining if there is any coal left fill the boot for the winter.🤔🙈👍👍

Keith Powell

Chinaman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:55 pm

Here's my preview of tomorrow's Royal London clash between @TrentBridge and @surreycricket at Welbeck http://www.ovalworld-online.com/prevnotsurrlc2022.htm

List A stats sheet for @surreycricket vs @TrentBridge http://www.ovalworld-online.com/ListA_Stats_Surrey_Notts_w_milestones.pdf

For Surrey's fixtures and scorecards go to: http://www.ovalworld-online.com/cards.htm
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://ovalworld.forumotion.com

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:08 am

A rich seam of information.

I'll get m'coat...

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:00 am

As per usual the stream is fxxxing useless..................................

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:03 pm

50-5!? Fuck me.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:18 pm

Can't fault the young lads throughout the last 3 weeks, but at the end of the day they're either not ready yet, or just not good enough for the level...

Alex!

Jackers and Pink Panther like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:11 pm

Well done to anyone who went to support the side today. It looked like a picture-perfect outground, with deck chairs and a wonderful rural backdrop. A little bird told me the home-made cakes were rather good too.

As for the cricket, yes it's better than nothing but it is a pale shadow of the 50-over stuff to which we were accustomed. Of our five defeats, four were absolute drubbings (Leic, Middlesex, Sussex and Notts today). The highlight was the rather spirited performance at home to Warwicks, but in truth that was an outlier.

Young Lawes, who has slotted in well to our championship team, stood head-and-shoulders above the flotsam-and-jetsam we fielded here. Ben Geddes has obvious potential, but should never be burdened with captaincy at this stage in his career. Absolutely no disrespect to the likes of Gumbs or Majid, but they could hardly have expected to be called up to play first-team cricket, at this stage in their career at least. Kimber, Reifer etc are ok as occasional call-ups but if I wanted to watch the seconds play en-masse I'd go to Imbercile Court, New Malden or wherever they pitch up these days. Membership becomes less of a "steal" if this standard of cricket is now part and parcel, that's for sure.

I hope that whatever counties manage to do to Strauss's dog's breakfast, one of the key red lines is to restore this to a proper, first team tournament.
Jackers
Jackers

offdrive4 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:39 pm

In the last few matches we have faced Pujara,Renshaw,Harris and Paterson. All internationals,but we have had none!! Clearly Stewart/Batty don’t have any interest in this tournament ,putting out youngsters for thrashing after thrashing,don’t think you learn anything from these sort of drubbings!! Need to increase the number of batsmen on our staff for next season!

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:40 pm

In the last few matches we have faced Pujara,Renshaw,Harris and Paterson. All internationals,but we have had none!! Clearly Stewart/Batty don’t have any interest in this tournament ,putting out youngsters for thrashing after thrashing,don’t think you learn anything from these sort of drubbings!! Need to increase the number of batsmen on our staff for next season!

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:26 pm

Yes I agree, it's one sided. At least 3 or 4 of today's Notts team are not in the 100 why I don't know. The young guys have done their best, and probably better than I thought. But no Batty and Stewart are interested but their hands are tied. 14 players missing. You can't plan for that in March. With a squad of 25 we probably were maxed out on the salary cap anyway.
But there were some 1500 here today enjoying a lovely ground and ultimately a Notts win getting them into the play offs. I 'd love a 4 day game here. Great venue.

Chinaman

Pink Panther likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:13 pm

It doesn’t explain why their overseas played and ours,or their replacements didn’t

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:39 pm

Our overseas, Alma and Roach were not contracted for the ODC. You can't get easy replacements of overseas players in our summer any more because of the ridiculously crowded International schedule.

Chinaman

Cee Gee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:52 pm

GIVE US OUR CLUB AND OUR TEAM BACK......................................

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Bhambrownhatter Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:07 pm

I feel Surrey have done their best but what a joke of a tournament. How can the ECB be happy that their only 50 over tournament has degenerated into a second XI competition. There must now be a real issue of membership now that should concern counties. Some members don’t like T20 feeling that it caters for a different audience, the 50 over comp is sub standard and there is no championship cricket in August. The last round of championship games will be removed from all sense of momentum and the conclusion must be that membership at all counties will fall. This is so short sighted. ECB better hope The Hundred attracts a whole new audience as it will need to replace rather than add to cricket’s existing one!! Utter madness - who on earth could think that The Hundred with its lack of team identity and people enjoying a ‘night at the cricket’ can possibly enhance the game above members who follow their counties through thick and thin and are immersed in the history of their club? Such folk should be rewarded for their loyalty to cricket by the ECB not have the very game they love destroyed.And for what gain? We now have a test match team who play test cricket like a T20 competition and thus further contributing to the demise of the ultimate form of cricket.

Bhambrownhatter

Jackers, dougieginn, kjb, Jason, guildfordbat, Badges, Keith Powell and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:24 am

Very good piece. The ECB basically don't want County Cricket or the Counties and us lot. I  don't remember who it was, but someone once said "disenfranchise your core membership at your peril because it will come back and bite you up the arse". How true.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down