Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Meanwhile Stewie may be on his way.....

+6
Jackers
adelaide
optimistnot
Alex!
Badges
Pieandapint
10 posters

Go down

Meanwhile Stewie may be on his way..... Empty Re: Meanwhile Stewie may be on his way.....

Post by Badges Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:32 pm

Perhaps it would do us a favour.Who knows?

Badges

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Meanwhile Stewie may be on his way..... Empty Re: Meanwhile Stewie may be on his way.....

Post by Alex! Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:10 pm

For the odd fault, he is Surrey through and through. Not sure any replacement would be as good as him...

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Post by optimistnot Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:49 pm

Or he could do both jobs, why not. he would be the first selector for years who watches a lot of county cricket.

optimistnot

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:28 pm

No chance. Don't want a DoC who's not fully committed to putting Surrey first; this would just eliminate that completely.

Alex!

Jackers and dougieginn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:19 pm

optimistnot wrote:Or he could do both jobs, why not. he would be the first selector for years who watches a lot of county cricket.

Couldn't work if he were THE National selector for obvious suspicions of bias, either in favour of Surrey players (join us to boost your selection chances) or against (must keep the Surrey side strong). With a selection panel it would be (and I suspect has been in the past) ok because you have other opinions in there.

I think Stewart would do the job well. Just don't let Batty near it or England will never have any spinners!

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:42 pm

I fear that if he gets this gig he will be plucking Surrey players left, right and centre. Rory Burns would be the first cab off the rank when Lees and Crawley finally run out of chances. Jamie Overton would be recalled at the first opportunity. Tom Lawes would be fast-tracked in no time to become the next Sam Curran. This is a very, very bad idea and I hope for our sake it doesn't happen.

There should be a panel of selectors who represent different regions and can provide an unbiased and balanced picture.
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:29 pm

I think we're overestimating the Surrey bias here - Burns, Pope, Foakes will be dead certs but I can't see Sam Curran getting in the Test team with Anderson, Broad, Robinson, Stokes all available...

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:49 pm

Let him go if he wants to. We are after a new coach anyway
so let them and Batty deal with the first team.

Steve

dougieginn and Badges like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:47 pm

We aren’t after a new coach as such… Elworthy indicated at the Members’ Forum that we can’t promote Batty without an application process and the so-called Rooney Rule but he heavily indicated he would, if interested, get the job.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by offdrive4 Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:57 pm

Our improved form this season is I think down to Batty, the only criticism I have would be regarding the treatment of Moriarty and Virdi. There have been some strange team selections, but they have often worked. I would have thought he was a shoe in for the permanent role.

offdrive4

dougieginn, Chinaman and Pink Panther like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:15 am

Alec's usp is his capacity to whistle up quality overseas signings, often at short notice. I think we can cover the coaching side but unless he would be allowed to freelance In this proposed new role we would miss his contacts book.
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:53 am

offdrive4 wrote:Our improved form this season is I think down to Batty, the only criticism I have would be regarding the treatment of Moriarty and Virdi.  There have been some strange team selections, but they have often worked.   I would have thought he was a shoe in for the permanent role.

I certainly understand the logic behind it if we have four fully fit seamers: 4 seam and a part-timer has worked for many sides in the past (Marcus North and Moeen Ali probably the two best examples) but I do not like it one bit. Especially when we stack the middle order with seam-bowling all-rounders, then why not play Virdi or Moriarty rather than a sixth seamer?

The side up at Northants was infuriating for this reason. Five seamers and Steel. Eugh.

RB

Jackers, dougieginn and RightArmSlow like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:07 pm

Personally i am fed up with 5 minute "superstars."

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:52 pm

The reason there were 5 seamers was because we are leading the Championship with that tactic.  Northants only played one who didn't take any more wickets than Steel, who got 4 plus 48 runs and fielded well particularly on day 1. Maybe Virdi  or Moriaty would have made a difference (neither can bat or field very well), who knows, but why change a winning formula.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:32 pm

The winning formula has been 4 seamers + Jacks + any-all-rounders-good-enough-to-play-as-batters-mostly (De Grandhomme, Curran S, etc.). Virdi/Mozza should have played over Atkinson for me.

Also, bear in mind Rob Keogh isn't exactly Shane Warne either. Averages 42.08 with the ball.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:02 pm

Ok 4 seamers plus the seam of Curran and deGrandhomme when they played, same thing, but I still fail to see any justification for either Virdi or Moriaty.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down