Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pre-Season Friendlies

+13
Jason
Jackers
offdrive4
guildfordbat
jackersfan
PLG
Steve
Ali888
Chinaman
Cee Gee
optimistnot
Badges
Alex!
17 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Pre-Season Friendlies - Page 4 Empty Re: Pre-Season Friendlies

Post by Cee Gee Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:59 am

Jackers wrote:If Surrey are selecting seamers because they want to prepare pitches that suit them then so long as it works that is fair enough. But if it is true that we were looking to recruit an overseas spinner who is not that special (first class bowling average over 30) then that makes no sense. Yes, he can bat a bit, but unlike Jacks you wouldn't select him for his batting alone.

A top-class spinner can be a match-winner regardless of whether he can bat.  Even if Simon Harmer were not a very useful bat he would have been a great signing for Essex over the past few years. I would have had Ashwin at Surrey for his bowling alone. But those two are in a different class as spinners to Gohar, and as it happens they are both markedly better with the bat too.

You’ve referenced one player who has been one of the best overseas signings in the history of county cricket and another who is one of the best all-rounders in the world game and rarely becomes available to play county cricket.

You’ve also perfectly illustrated why it’s so difficult to find available spin bowling allrounders and shows why Surrey apparently went for the best option available. Gohar is a superior spinner to Jacks so it suggests they may be expecting to need more from the spinner this season. It’s irrelevant to compare him to the best two spin bowling all-rounders when considering the value Gohar would provide in his availability and the current strategy of the team towards winning matches through seam bowling.

Adelaide: The reference to this in the magazine was some months ago and so I imagine the injury to Overton changed the focus towards signing Abbot instead and also yes, I believe it was before the signing of Maharaj.

Cee Gee

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:18 am

Cee Gee wrote:
Jackers wrote:If Surrey are selecting seamers because they want to prepare pitches that suit them then so long as it works that is fair enough. But if it is true that we were looking to recruit an overseas spinner who is not that special (first class bowling average over 30) then that makes no sense. Yes, he can bat a bit, but unlike Jacks you wouldn't select him for his batting alone.

A top-class spinner can be a match-winner regardless of whether he can bat.  Even if Simon Harmer were not a very useful bat he would have been a great signing for Essex over the past few years. I would have had Ashwin at Surrey for his bowling alone. But those two are in a different class as spinners to Gohar, and as it happens they are both markedly better with the bat too.

You’ve referenced one player who has been one of the best overseas signings in the history of county cricket and another who is one of the best all-rounders in the world game and rarely becomes available to play county cricket.

You’ve also perfectly illustrated why it’s so difficult to find available spin bowling allrounders and shows why Surrey apparently went for the best option available. Gohar is a superior spinner to Jacks so it suggests they may be expecting to need more from the spinner this season. It’s irrelevant to compare him to the best two spin bowling all-rounders when considering the value Gohar would provide in his availability and the current strategy of the team towards winning matches through seam bowling.

Adelaide: The reference to this in the magazine was some months ago and so I imagine the injury to Overton changed the focus towards signing Abbot instead and also yes, I believe it was before the signing of Maharaj.

My point is I wouldn't have countenanced wasting a precious overseas pick on a player who (a) clearly isn't top-drawer, and (b) doesn't conform to our strategy of playing to our seam-bowling strengths. If we don't consider Moriarty or Virdi good enough as a spin option, try to recruit an upgrade. I don't believe Zohar represents an upgrade. Our seam bowlers can all bat, and most of them could be considered bowling all-rounders. As 1-9 or even 10 in the team can all bat, then surely all that matters is to retain a spinner who might make a signficant contribution with the ball as and when they play.
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:59 am

Jackers I believe the club simply are of the view that Mozza/Virds (or both) make the tail too long.

Surrey having a much better time of it with the ball than they did on Thursday. Eskinazi, Holden, and Higgins all dismissed cheaply.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:53 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
RB wrote:My understanding over the not-playing-a-spinner is because we were felt to be light on batting otherwise. You can get away with that in England but this year I feel our hand is forced by Jacks being in the IPL.

I would rather play myself than see Steel playing
and I hope that with Lawes and Abbott we have enough batting.

Therefore the XI I would begin Lancs with is: Burns, Sibley, Pope, Roy, Foakes, Smith/Geddes/Patel, Lawes, Abbott, Roach, Worrall, Moriarty/Virdi.

Hi RB - with Steel top scoring for Surrey today, your place may be in trouble.

Judging by some of these deliveries (and Middlesex have so far been very kind to him!) I reckon my place is safe.

RB

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:20 pm

Mozza’s got to play at Old Trafford.

RB

Jackers likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:41 pm

Burns charges Murtagh first ball and holes out to mid off.

Not quite sure what I’m watching here.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:23 pm

RB wrote:Burns charges Murtagh first ball and holes out to mid off.

Encapulates everything wrong about "Bazball". First ball of the innings, line and length. Not "there to be hit". Our captain.
Jackers
Jackers

Badges likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:04 pm

Jackers wrote:

Encapulates everything wrong about "Bazball". First ball of the innings, line and length. Not "there to be hit". Our captain.

He may well say "a juicy half-volley that was begging to be smacked for 6"... to-may-to, to-mah-to...

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:09 pm

RB wrote:
Jackers wrote:

He may well say "a juicy half-volley that was begging to be smacked for 6"... to-may-to, to-mah-to...

Who really cares about these silly "friendlies"? Waste of time.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by kjb Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:32 pm

Chinaman wrote:
RB wrote:
Jackers wrote:

Who really cares about these silly "friendlies"? Waste of time.

No but the problem is, they don't seem to learn from the same mistakes.
With a tough championship match starting next week you would hope that some time spent at the crease would be beneficial.
Presumably we'll have Pope, Foakes, Abbott and Roach in the squad but when did they last see any action?

kjb

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:55 pm

Roach has recently played some tests in South
Africa and Abbott played some one day internationals
in India. Do you watch cricket fella🤦‍�

Steve

Cee Gee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PLG Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:31 pm

Foakes played today !?

PLG

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:00 am

PLG wrote:Foakes played today !?

He kept (but not after lunch) and didn't bat.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:09 am

You’ll know my views on this already RB - but I wouldn’t even trust Burns to play like this in white ball cricket.

Cee Gee

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:45 am

RB wrote:Mozza’s got to play at Old Trafford.

I don't rule it out but we need to look at the Old Trafford track before making a decision. I'm still inclined to feel an all seam attack may be best at this time of year or, if we want just a few overs of spin to break things up, Steel might be more appropriate given he's a better batsman than Moriarty.

guildfordbat

Cee Gee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:00 am

Steel is a defensive pick. Maybe later in the season when we lose Pope and Foakes we will need to consider his batting (especially if Jacks remains unavailable too) but Moriarty is considerably the better bowler and - April or not - Old Trafford is one of the grounds which does take spin.
Jackers
Jackers

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kjb Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:34 pm

Steve wrote:Roach has recently played some tests in South
Africa and Abbott played some one day internationals
in India. Do you watch cricket fella🤦‍�

Thank you for your kind response.
I only watch cricket live.
I see that the last test in SA finished on 11 March.
Also, Abbott's final ODI was on 22 March.

I was just concerned about the lack of recent action in English conditions which is more relevant.

kjb

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:23 am

On another matter: where's my Membership card Surrey? Just as well I'm not going to Old Trafford and need my card for Pavilion. access. Hope it's here by the 13th.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:36 am

Chinaman wrote:On another matter: where's my Membership card Surrey? Just as well I'm not going to Old Trafford and need my card for Pavilion. access. Hope it's here by the 13th.

Mine arrived in the last week of March, so I suggest you contact the club.

On a related note I asked the man in the shop about Yearbooks: the club haven’t received them yet…!

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:39 am

Ok thanks.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by PLG Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:47 am

The yearbooks were available from the reception area during the pre season friendly and we were given one at the members pre season lunch. Definitely available for 1st home game

PLG

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:53 pm

Received my card today. I note that you can get a physical copy of the Member's Vouchers sent to you on request. Not sure why they just don't include them in the pack anyway.
Doesn't appear to be a "fish n' chip" voucher on your card though.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:02 pm

Chinaman wrote:Received my card today. I note that you can get a physical copy of the Member's Vouchers sent to you on request. Not sure why they just don't include them in the pack anyway.
Doesn't appear to be a "fish n' chip" voucher on your card though.

I suspect the Club are being misleading and that you will need to specify the particular game and date the Vouchers are to be used for before they are sent for use then only.

That's what I found out last year anyway.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:05 pm

Well I'll request them and let you know.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:48 am

I was surprised the fish 'n' chips vouchers were carried over for a second year last season. I thought they were initially given to us as payback as part of the first year of Covid cock up. They weren't worth much, and were a pain to try and organise with ever changing bar prices and eligible outlets.

The bars still confuse me. Basically I think it comes down to cheap (ish) beer in Members' areas for the Championship, but not so for all other formats. Of course you can bring in as much booze as you want from Lidl for the Championship...

Jason

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4