Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When do these lot return to training for new season?

+3
VicNorth
Badges
Sir Winston Churchill
7 posters

Go down

When do these lot return to training for new season? Empty When do these lot return to training for new season?

Post by Sir Winston Churchill Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:06 pm

If we follow Englands lead we will have a five a side game of football the day before season starts and will be good to go !!!!
Sir Winston Churchill
Sir Winston Churchill

Back to top Go down

When do these lot return to training for new season? Empty Re: When do these lot return to training for new season?

Post by Badges Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:27 pm

Good to go ?

Sir Winston Churchill would never have uttered a ludicrous,American phrase like that.

Badges

Sir Winston Churchill likes this post

Back to top Go down

When do these lot return to training for new season? Empty Re: When do these lot return to training for new season?

Post by VicNorth Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:33 pm

How do you feel about the BBC describing Ben Stokes as 'Brearley and Botham combined'?

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:00 pm

Winny old boy. The few players who arent playing abroad have been training in the indoor nets for a while and they now have the marquee set up on the outfield. I dont think there are many of our boys who are in the country at the moment.

Steve

Sir Winston Churchill likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Winston Churchill Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:33 pm

VicNorth wrote:How do you feel about the BBC describing Ben Stokes as 'Brearley and Botham combined'?

To be fair I think that’s quite a decent description of Stokes.

Not as clever as Brearley but he has made some very smart captaincy decisions. The comparison with Botham is quite appropriate.
Sir Winston Churchill
Sir Winston Churchill

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:52 pm

Sir Winston Churchill wrote:
VicNorth wrote:How do you feel about the BBC describing Ben Stokes as 'Brearley and Botham combined'?

To be fair I think that’s quite a decent description of Stokes.

Not as clever as Brearley but he has made some very smart captaincy decisions. The comparison with Botham is quite appropriate.

I doubt that Brearley has ever been up for GBH though.

Brearley was a superb captain and motivator, no doubt, but he did like pace in his bowlers and experience in his attack more generally. He was a bit fortunate that his county could at that time afford to bring in both pace and experience aplenty, whether it be from abroad or Jones the Grunt. Internationally he was fortunate to have Botham. Fielding three tyro spinners? Not on his watch, I think.

I quite like the idea of Brearley trying to bat in the Bazball style though.

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Northi Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:03 pm

Hi, thought he was completely exonerated from the GBH charge - something to do with Stokes protecting someone unknown to him in a queue. He was a total star - the media portrayed it as something completely different. The man is a legend in more way than just cricket.

Northi

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:45 pm

Miles better cricketer than Botham ever was.

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by Wokoval Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:43 pm

I am never that keen on comparing cricketers but would say Stokes is the better batsman and Botham ( particularly before he bulked up) the better bowler. Both magnificent in the field.

Wokoval

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:17 pm

Northi wrote:Hi, thought he was completely exonerated from the GBH charge - something to do with Stokes protecting someone unknown to him in a queue. He was a total star - the media portrayed it as something completely different. The man is a legend in more way than just cricket.

Just checked - it was affray, not GBH. I wasn't meaning to imply that he was really guilty in a no smoke without fire manner, more that I struggle to imagine Brearley being in a queue for a night club in the street. Trouble often does crop up in the same sentence as "night club", which is why leading sportsmen might do best avoiding them!

If someone asked Brearley "what you looking at?" he'd probably reply "that's a very interesting philosophical question".

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:17 pm

VicNorth wrote:Miles better cricketer than Botham ever was.

Stokes ? Don't talk fucking rubbish.Their batting records in Tests are much the same,as are their catches.However ,Botham absolutely wipes the floor with Stokes as a bowler.

Wickets....................Botham 383......................Stokes 197

Average.......................28.40.............................32.07

Best Innings................8/34...............................6/22

Best Match...................13/106....................8/161

5 wicket innings..............27.......................4

10 wicket match.................4.........................NONE

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:20 pm

[quSlightly better,not a lot in it.ote="Wokoval"]I am never that keen on comparing cricketers but would say Stokes is the better batsman and Botham ( particularly before he bulked up) the better bowler. Both magnificent in the field.[/quote]

Slightly better though not much in it.

Botham a better bowler by several country miles.No contest.See above.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:24 pm

Okay, but I hate Ian Botham.

VicNorth

Badges likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wokoval Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:35 pm

You should try Revitive!

Wokoval

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down