Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kemar Roach

+5
RB
dougieginn
Coatesy
Jhe10077
Jackers
9 posters

Go down

Kemar Roach Empty Kemar Roach

Post by Jackers Tue May 16, 2023 2:44 pm

Has gone back home due to a "family matter". As I understand it, he was due to leave us after the Kent match anyway.  It provides a way back for Tom Lawes  immediately without having to rotate the other in-form bowlers.

What a quality performer he remains. Completely understand if he needs to put whatever this is first, and luckily we have had him for all but one of the games he was due to play this time.

I wonder whether we were either hoping or assuming that Kemar would be coming back for the last part of the season, as he did last year? While there is no indication that whatever this is precludes that happening, it may do...in which case we have plenty of notice to get a "plan B" lined up.
Jackers
Jackers

Badges, Pink Panther and RightArmSlow like this post

Back to top Go down

Kemar Roach Empty Re: Kemar Roach

Post by Jhe10077 Tue May 16, 2023 3:16 pm

Been an Fantastic overseas player wonderful work ethic and appears to enjoy playing cricket for Surrey.

Jhe10077

Badges and Pink Panther like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Coatesy Tue May 16, 2023 3:17 pm

Thats not great news, but totally understandable and hope that whatever he has gone back for gets sorted

as you say we are lucky that we have Lawes to cover, as I was wondering who was going to be the next 1 to be 'rotated' this week.

I hope he does come back as we may need him to help us try win back to back titles.

on another subject, I am slightly worried that the Aussie squad for the upcoming Ashes doesnt look stocked with pace bowlers and if they do get an injury I worry that they may call up Abbott as a replacement

Coatesy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Tue May 16, 2023 3:28 pm

Coatesy wrote:Thats not great news, but totally understandable and hope that whatever he has gone back for gets sorted

as you say we are lucky that we have Lawes to cover, as I was wondering who was going to be the next 1 to be 'rotated' this week.

I hope he does come back as we may need him to help us try win back to back titles.

on another subject, I am slightly worried that the Aussie squad for the upcoming Ashes doesnt look stocked with pace bowlers and if they do get an injury I worry that they may call up Abbott as a replacement

I've read some accounts that suggest that Abbott, along with Michael Neser, is being pulled out of county cricket to join Australia's pre-Ashes camp in early June. Regardless of whether there are injuries, they may well decide to keep one of them for the series, as they selected just four front-line seam bowlers in their original squad.  

So it may be that for our June and July fixtures we find ourselves with a choice of either whistling up the likes of McKerr or Taylor or playing Moriarty (or possibly Virdi). If it comes to it, I hope we go down the latter route. But for now, it's wait and see...

Last edited by Jackers on Tue May 16, 2023 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jackers
Jackers

dougieginn and Badges like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Tue May 16, 2023 3:49 pm

How far away is Jamie Overton?

Jhe10077

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Tue May 16, 2023 4:25 pm

And Topley?

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Tue May 16, 2023 11:48 pm

Jhe10077 wrote:How far away is Jamie Overton?

Stewie talked about Overton during the Day 2 rain break on Sky. Overton should be available to bat (but not bowl) for the beginning of the T20. He is now having a bowl "occasionally" in his road to recovery etc. - Stewie also mentioned he is one of the ECB's fast bowling players they watch closely, so they're very involved in it too.

A Championship game still looks a long way off for him.

Mind you, they were suggesting he'd be out for the season not too long ago, so it's a positive overall.

RB

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by offdrive4 Wed May 17, 2023 10:35 am

Hopefully Roach will be back. We still have Worrall, Atkinson, Lawes and Clark with Topley and Curran maybe managing the odd match and possibly Overton at some stage. If Abbott and/or Roache are not available for the later championship matches though we will need some overseas reinforcement if we are to maintain our challenge for the championship.

offdrive4

Jackers and dougieginn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Wed May 17, 2023 8:56 pm

Hopefully Sam Curran will be back soon from the IPL he’s team having been eliminated tonight.

Jhe10077

dougieginn and RB like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Wed May 17, 2023 9:07 pm

Will he be able to find his way to The Oval ?

Badges

Back to top Go down

Kemar Roach Empty Curran brothers

Post by David Waghorn Wed May 17, 2023 11:01 pm

Who is Sam Curran and there is a rumour he has a brother named Tom?! Could someone please tell us who developed these players and where their allegiance lies? I suppose it is totally down to their bank managers!!!

David Waghorn

Jackers likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Thu May 18, 2023 6:38 am

We don't need Sam Curran. Why should someone drop out to fit this mercenary player in? Sorry but if these blokes want to swan around the world playing hit and giggle, fine, but don't expect to walk back in to your county side just because it suits you.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Thu May 18, 2023 7:07 am

We don't need him at the moment, but we may do a little later in the season once we lose key players to call-ups, injury or the "personal reasons" which seem to impact Surrey far more than most. He has played a significant part in two championship-winning teams, albeit that he has not been available throughout. I am not in favour of cutting our nose off to spite our face..
Jackers
Jackers

offdrive4 and Pink Panther like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Thu May 18, 2023 8:17 am

Played pretty well for us last season.He’s early season form was unbelievable one of the Main reasons we won the CC. Short Memories I’m afraid.

Jhe10077

Pink Panther likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down