Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Now we lose Smith for the CC run-in!!

+10
SimonH
Cee Gee
Jackers
Steve
Chinaman
Sir Winston Churchill
dougieginn
RB
Pink Panther
David Waghorn
14 posters

Go down

Now we lose Smith for the CC run-in!! Empty Now we lose Smith for the CC run-in!!

Post by David Waghorn Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:44 pm

This is getting absolutely ridiculous and has become a total farce. We are now going to lose Jamie Smith for the vital last 2 matches in the CC after his call-up to some meaningless England ODIs!! For God's sake the two Richards have got to do something about this at the ECB level. The CC is the most important cricket tournament of the season and we are being forced yet again to play with one hand tied behind our backs. The fact that we had no proper cricket in the whole of the month of August makes this even worse. The CC should be taking priority over this one day rubbish. If I hear any other supporter from another county say again that "money-bags Surrey" are buying the championship I am going to go mad. We have been decimated yet again and now, having previously said we need to play home grown players, I have no problem in getting the new Indian batsman Sudharsan to play. In fact I would now try and get Kohli, Smith, Williamson and Babar to play too!! That would shut those idiots up who complain about us. If Essex now pip us for the title we may as well all give up supporting county cricket in this country.

David Waghorn

Jackers, SimonH, Badges, Chinaman, RB, Pink Panther and Ray AFCW like this post

Back to top Go down

Now we lose Smith for the CC run-in!! Empty Re: Now we lose Smith for the CC run-in!!

Post by Pink Panther Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:36 pm

Incredibly this article on the BBC website reports that Jamie Overton and Essex's Sam Cook would also have been picked for this squad, but were omitted in order that they could play in the Championship climax.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/66724714

Hang on, we've got 6 players in these squads and Essex have NONE, therefore Essex will be at full strength. All the more reason why Cook should have been called up
Pink Panther
Pink Panther

SimonH, Chinaman, RB and David Waghorn like this post

Back to top Go down

Now we lose Smith for the CC run-in!! Empty Re: Now we lose Smith for the CC run-in!!

Post by RB Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:41 pm

“The England Men’s selection panel consulted with the first-class counties, and weighed their ambitions in the run-in to the end of the LV= Insurance County Championship season, before finalising the squad.”

As I said in the other thread that’s clearly bollocks.

Write to your MP or something.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:42 pm

Is Topley fit? If so we can pick him for the first time this season,so he can justify his salary!

dougieginn

SimonH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Winston Churchill Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:36 pm

I don’t suppose we have any chance of Pope being fit for last two games do we?
Sir Winston Churchill
Sir Winston Churchill

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:45 pm

Sir Winston Churchill wrote:I don’t suppose we have any chance of Pope being fit for last two games do we?

Don't think so.

So much for the two Dicks stitching up Surrey. Do they have Essex connections?

Chinaman

Sir Winston Churchill likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:41 pm

Curran and Atkinson should be available to us then as they arent playing against Ireland.
I bet they wont be though. When we win it I hope Stewie et al tell the ECB to go forth and multiply!!

Steve

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:21 am

Steve wrote:Curran and Atkinson should be available to us then as they arent playing against Ireland.
I bet they wont be though.  When we win it I hope Stewie et al tell the ECB to go forth and multiply!!

I'll take Atkinson if he's not "rested", but even if he's available, do we need Curran? He has not been in any type of form and has not played red ball for months. Fastly becoming Jason Roy 11

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:01 am

Is Atkinson on any sort of central contract yet? If not, if they ask us to "rest" him we can tell them where to go.
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:48 am

Chinaman wrote:
Steve wrote:Curran and Atkinson should be available to us then as they arent playing against Ireland.
I bet they wont be though.  When we win it I hope Stewie et al tell the ECB to go forth and multiply!!

I'll take Atkinson if he's not "rested", but even if he's available, do we need Curran? He has not been in any type of form and has not played red ball for months. Fastly becoming Jason Roy 11

We’ve just take 20 wickets in 81 overs and all those bowlers should be available for the next match. Who would Atkinson replace?

Cee Gee

Pink Panther and VicNorth like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonH Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:55 am

The club won't say anything presumably as they don't want to piss off the players?

SimonH

MatthewC likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:15 am

I do wish people would do some research. On the club website this question is answered.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Coatesy Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:47 am

https://www.kiaoval.com/smith-receives-first-england-call-up/

as per this from the main website, we will be short of the 6 players, the 2 in the squad for Ireland and the 4 in the WC squad.

is it any wonder that we signed the young Indian, who I guess will come into the XI in place of Smith for Northants

Coatesy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:47 am

RB wrote:I do wish people would do some research. On the club website this question is answered.

You're right - it is answered, just not satisfactorily.
"Atkinson, Curran, Roy and Topley will be unavailable for Surrey for the rest of the season due to their involvement in the ODI World Cup which starts on 5 October."

5 October is a month away. Even for the football world cup in Qatar players were playing club football just a week before it started.

As by far the biggest members' club, Surrey should be taking the lead in publicly opposing this nonsense. Alec Stewart's achilles heel has always been that he is conflicted in his loyalty where the international team is concerned. As Director of Cricket we need him to be publicly fighting Surrey's corner and putting pressure on the club to challenge, instead of just reactively firefighting and continually trying to plug gaps - though he is the best in the business at that.
Jackers
Jackers

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by David Waghorn Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:49 am

[quote="Jackers"][quote="RB"]I do wish people would do some research. On the club website this question is answered.[/quote]

"Atkinson, Curran, Roy and Topley will be unavailable for Surrey for the rest of the season due to their involvement in the ODI World Cup which starts on 5 October."

5 October is a month away. Even for the football world cup in Qatar players were playing club football just a week before it started.

As by far the biggest members' club, Surrey should be taking the lead in publicly opposing this nonsense. Alec Stewart's achilles heel has always been that he is conflicted in his loyalty where the international team is concerned. As Director of Cricket we need him to be publicly fighting Surrey's corner and putting pressure on the club to challenge, instead of just reactively firefighting and continually trying to plug gaps - though he is the best in the business at that.[/quote]

Jackers you are absolutely correct. In recent years I have become very frustrated with Alec Stewart always coming up with the statement that his job is to produce England cricketers. Surely as he is employed by SCCC, his number one priority is to produce players for Surrey. Then the cream of these may be good enough to go on to play for England. We all know what the route of this awful problem is - the competition that we don't even want to name that has taken over August. We should be playing at least 4 CC games of cricket in August, not the ludicrous Mickey Mouse baseball. That would also allow the CC to return to 16 matches so that we play everyone home and away, another point that many people on this forum have raised quite correctly.

David Waghorn

Jackers, guildfordbat, Chinaman and offdrive4 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:15 pm

Jackers wrote:
RB wrote:I do wish people would do some research. On the club website this question is answered.

As by far the biggest members' club, Surrey should be taking the lead in publicly opposing this nonsense. Alec Stewart's achilles heel has always been that he is conflicted in his loyalty where the international team is concerned. As Director of Cricket we need him to be publicly fighting Surrey's corner and putting pressure on the club to challenge, instead of just reactively firefighting and continually trying to plug gaps - though he is the best in the business at that.

I'm very much with the tone of all that, Jackers.

Something possibly encouraging although not enough and not even guaranteed from Alec Stewart at this week's forum. At the time he spoke, Stewart said it wasn't confirmed but seemed likely that Jacks and Smith would be called up for the Ireland games. On that basis (which has now been confirmed), he referred to being in early talks with England to see if Jacks and Smith could be substituted into Surrey's match against Hants from day 2 (day 1 being the same day as the final ODI against Ireland).

Although you mention Stewart by name, I would like to see our current Chair Martin Eadon and CEO Steve Elworthy saying what they actually believe in. Eadon regularly refers to the need to ''listen'' and the importance of ''balance''. Yes, I get that and don't disagree but feel the starting point should be knowing what our senior officials believe in and are ultimately striving to achieve. We can then either get behind them or try to get them to ''listen'' to their members so as to change their aims.

Almost everything from Eadon and Elworthy seems too woolly serving to only encourage drift, uncertainty and frustration. I am far from convinced that they have shown themselves to be proper replacements for Richard Thompson and Richard Gould. That's even with acknowleding that Eadon's role is only an interim one. Elworthy, in particular, seems to lack knowledge of our Club which Gould rapidly acquired upon appointment and consistently displayed.

guildfordbat

Jason and Cee Gee like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by David Waghorn Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:22 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Jackers wrote:

I'm very much with the tone of all that, Jackers.

Something possibly encouraging although not enough and not even guaranteed from Alec Stewart at this week's forum. At the time he spoke, Stewart said it wasn't confirmed but seemed likely that Jacks and Smith would be called up for the Ireland games. On that basis (which has now been confirmed), he referred to being in early talks with England to see if Jacks and Smith could be substituted into Surrey's match against Hants from day 2 (day 1 being the same day as the final ODI against Ireland).

Although you mention Stewart by name, I would like to see our current Chair Martin Eadon and CEO Steve Elworthy saying what they actually believe in. Eadon regularly refers to the need to ''listen'' and the importance of ''balance''. Yes, I get that and don't disagree but feel the starting point should be knowing what our senior officials believe in and are ultimately striving to achieve. We can then either get behind them or try to get them to ''listen'' to their members so as to change their aims.

Almost everything from Eadon and Elworthy seems too woolly serving to only encourage drift, uncertainty and frustration. I am far from convinced that they have shown themselves to be proper replacements for Richard Thompson and Richard Gould. That's even with acknowleding that Eadon's role is only an interim one. Elworthy, in particular, seems to lack knowledge of our Club which Gould rapidly acquired upon appointment and consistently displayed.

Good points about the current Chairman and CEO. Eadon is only here for a short further time but his replacement MUST take on board the opinion of the vast majority of the Surrey membership that the red ball game has to be the NUMBER ONE PRIORITY. I have concerns over Elworthy too. He is not a "Surrey Man" as such and I get the feeling that his one and only priority is MONEY!! This needs to change too.

David Waghorn

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:11 pm

dougieginn wrote:Is Topley fit? If so we can pick him for the first time this season,so he can justify his salary!

Let's just tell him to sod off.

Badges

Jason likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:11 pm

He was bowling in the breaks during the Warwickshire fixture. That would have pleased you!

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:37 pm

I can no longer listen to Sangakkara on commentary.I think there is something wrong with this bloke.He can give you an in depth analysis of someone taking a sip of water.The claptrap,waffle,gobbledygook that comes out of that geezer's trap is unbelievable.Morgan is a close second.

Badges

VicNorth and Slipstream like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:59 pm

VicNorth wrote:He was bowling in the breaks during the Warwickshire fixture. That would have pleased you!

Having seen him bowl
In the ODI, I think we’re better off without him!!

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:59 pm

Total balls bowled by Topley for Surrey this year in CC,50 over and T20........................0

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:10 pm

A miraculous recovery was made to participate in the Stab Your Grandmother For Two Bob Mickey Mouse Meaningless Circus.

Badges

dougieginn, Jason and David Waghorn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down