Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England (Internationals)

+25
offdrive4
VicNorth
adelaide
Coatesy
Sir Winston Churchill
Badges
Chinaman
kjb
dougieginn
Jhe10077
Alex!
Peter.M.Gardens
RB
Wedmore Wanderer
KeninWestWickham
Andy1210
Steve
SimonH
MatthewC
Jedrich
Jackers
Ali888
Keith Powell
guildfordbat
Pink Panther
29 posters

Page 10 of 19 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 19  Next

Go down

England (Internationals) - Page 10 Empty Re: England (Internationals)

Post by VicNorth Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:22 pm

Jhe10077 wrote:Will Jacks is the typical modem day Cricketer. Will probably play Hundreds of ODIs.Will he become a frontline Test Batsman I’m not sure.

I am. He won't.

VicNorth

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:28 pm

Do the younger players care enough for playing Test Cricket these days ?

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:04 pm

VicNorth wrote:
Jhe10077 wrote:Will Jacks is the typical modem day Cricketer. Will probably play Hundreds of ODIs.Will he become a frontline Test Batsman I’m not sure.

I am. He won't.

Ironically his non selction for Tests could probably affect us more, his stock as a pitch hitting one day opener will probably see him going down the Jason Roy route, we'll inevitably only see him at the Oval when the Hundred comes to town!
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

SimonH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:12 pm

Excellent penultimate over from Sam Curran. He has been extremely inconsistent in the last year or so but today was a good day.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:44 am

Reece Topley on the other hand seems consistantly Englands best white ball pace bowler so we'll almost certainly won't see him in a Surrey shirt again this season.

Hopefully Buttler plays up the order and Root and Stokes come in dropping Jacks out of T20 squad, likewise if/when Jofra gets selected that'll likely end Atkinsons chances of a squad place.

If we only lose Topley and Sam Curran for the month of the T20 World Cup we'll have a strong squad for the Vitality T20
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:35 am

Haven’t learnt anything from this tour,only Salt and Topley have impressed. Woakes has proven once again how ineffective he is away from English conditions.Jacks has had several chances but not really taken them,Sam has overall not performed at his best. The cupboard seems to be bare as far as England are concerned in white ball cricket!!

dougieginn

Chinaman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:33 am

dougieginn wrote:Haven’t learnt anything from this tour,only Salt and Topley have impressed. Woakes has proven once again how ineffective he is away from English conditions.Jacks has had several chances but not really taken them,Sam has overall not performed at his best. The cupboard seems to be bare as far as England are concerned in white ball cricket!!

You'd have thought you take the same squad as will be playing in World Cup and if you plan on taking Stokes and Archer who are injured take like for like players, eg Malan for Stokes and Wood/Atkinson for Jofra... I'd have thought some real pace might be usefull on West Indies pitches, but we've gone with Woakes. Like the previous World Cup we seem to be squandering the practice we have had and are waiting on crocked players coming back to be our match winners yet again.

Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:20 pm

Disagree hell of a lot White Ball talent to pick from in this country. Selection maybe a issue.

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:55 pm

Root won't play in the T20 side. He hasn't since 2018.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:52 pm

Jhe10077 wrote:Disagree hell of a lot White Ball talent to pick from in this country. Selection maybe a issue.

Consistant selection is the issue, I'm sure Topley is helped by always (when fit) being selected to opening the bowling. Sam Curran last night bowled the 17th and 19th overs didn't he? Can't help if you don't bowl until the match is pretty much lost.
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:53 pm

RB wrote:Root won't play in the T20 side. He hasn't since 2018.

For Root, replace Bairstow
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:23 pm

Next seasons England fixtures: (Likely players missing during domestic season)

22-30 May - T20 (England) Eng v Pakistan (Jacks, Atkinson, S Curran, Topley?)

4–30 June 2024 - T20 World Cup (Jacks, Atkinson, S Curran, Topley?)

10-30 July - 3x Tests (England) Eng v West Indies (Pope, Atkinson?)

21 Aug-10 Sept - 3x Tests (England) Eng v Sri Lanka (Pope, Atkinson?)

Rest of September - one dayers v Australia (Jacks, Atkinson, S Curran, Topley?)

So doesn't leave much scope for Atkinson to play at all for Surrey, and Pope would only be only available first half of season during IPL/T20 World Cup.

Hopefully Jacks becomes available as Pope becomes unavailable.
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:51 pm

Atkinson had barely broken into the team anyway.

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:45 pm

VicNorth wrote:Atkinson had barely broken into the team anyway.

Hopefully Jofra Archer is back fit and a few others are back in reckoning for Englands home test series (eg Chris Woakes) so Atkinson doesn't get selected for England. Ideal scenario for Surrey is we only lose Pope for this summers Tests series.

IMO Atkinson would be better served development wise playing county cricket for Surrey rather than going to T20 World Cup.

Remains to be seen if Foakes gets any action out in India and if he does has any hope of regaining his keeping spot next summer for England?
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

RightArmSlow and Jhe10077 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:39 am

I think Foakes will play all the Tests in India,but I fear they will revert in to Bairstow next summer again.

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:14 am

dougieginn wrote:I think Foakes will play all the Tests in India,but I fear they will revert in to Bairstow next summer again.

Hopefully Ben outscores him in India and proves what an asset a really good keeper is. He is one player who really deserves a run in Test side, he knuckled down last season and was a real asset for Surrey.

You never know what the selectors might decide post T20 World Cup, whether the West Indies and Sri Lanka test series might see some new players tried/older players rested? If Bairstow goes from India Test series straight to IPL then T20 World Cup could he be rested for one of the Test series? don't want him burning out before the Hundred starts! Wink
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

England (Internationals) - Page 10 Empty Atkinson is obviously showing plenty in the England set up.I be siding with him playing a season with Surrey.

Post by Jhe10077 Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:40 pm

Peter.M.Gardens wrote:

Hopefully Jofra Archer is back fit and a few others are back in reckoning for Englands home test series (eg Chris Woakes) so Atkinson doesn't get selected for England. Ideal scenario for Surrey is we only lose Pope for this summers Tests series.

IMO Atkinson would be better served development wise playing county cricket for Surrey rather than going to T20 World Cup.

Remains to be seen if Foakes gets any action out in India and if he does has any hope of regaining his keeping spot next summer for England?

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:53 pm

Jhe10077 wrote:
Peter.M.Gardens wrote:

Atkinson is obviously showing plenty in the England set up. I'd be siding with him playing a season with Surrey.

Remains to be seen if Anderson, Wood, Woakes, Archer and Ollie Robinson (alongside one or two others*) are all fit and selected for England. Likewise if Sam Curran and Topley stay fit and keep their white ball places Atkinson could well be left out of all the England squads.

(*Matthew Potts, Josh Tongue, Matthew Fisher, Saqib Mahmood, John Turner and Brydon Carse all have central contracts)

5x Surrey Players contracted by ECB

England Two-Year Central Contracts:
Ollie Pope
Gus Atkinson
Sam Curran

England One-Year Central Contracts:
Ben Foakes
Reece Topley
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:59 pm

The XI I would pick would pick an extra batter if we get a Bunsen burner. You will only need three bowlers + Brook/Root/Stokes if it's anything like some of the pitches we have seen recently. Even two seamers will be too many.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:25 pm

RB wrote:The XI I would pick would pick an extra batter if we get a Bunsen burner. You will only need three bowlers + Brook/Root/Stokes if it's anything like some of the pitches we have seen recently. Even two seamers will be too many.

So if Atkinson is 4th choice pace bowler on India and doesn't get picked on tour, he's likely to lose his Test squad place to Woakes for home series next summer and then any one of the other dozen named players could come in, all with more experience.

Fingers crossed
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:08 pm

Peter.M.Gardens wrote:
RB wrote:The XI I would pick would pick an extra batter if we get a Bunsen burner. You will only need three bowlers + Brook/Root/Stokes if it's anything like some of the pitches we have seen recently. Even two seamers will be too many.

So if Atkinson is 4th choice pace bowler on India and doesn't get picked on tour, he's likely to lose his Test squad place to Woakes for home series next summer and then any one of the other dozen named players could come in, all with more experience.

Fingers crossed

It's not quite that simple, as I think Atkinson has been categorised with Wood as a "fast" bowler rather than a stock seamer a la Robinson/Anderson/et al.

I can see them picking between Robinson and Anderson; Wood and Atkinson - one from each "subgroup" of seamers.

RB

Badges likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:18 am

I'd pick out of Tounge, Fisher, Carse, Atkinson or Potts. Look Anderson is 41 and isn't what he was, Wood is a walking injury, Robinson doesn't seem to have the stamina to get through a Test match, Woakes is no good overseas and will Archer and Stokes ever really be fit to bowl? It won't happen, but surely it's time to move on.

Chinaman

Badges likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:36 am

Chinaman wrote:I'd pick out of Tounge, Fisher, Carse, Atkinson or Potts. Look Anderson is 41 and isn't what he was, Wood is a walking injury, Robinson doesn't seem to have the stamina to get through a Test match, Woakes is no good overseas and will Archer and Stokes ever really be fit to bowl? It won't happen, but surely it's time to move on.

So a lot of players with more experience ahead of Atkinson available this summer, so it remains to be seen if we treat this summer as a chance to blood a few new younger players, or do we go with our full Test squad? probably the latter.

Whatever the scenario I'd imagine if either Wood or Archer are fit they take Atkinsons place in the starting Xi.

I honestly would prefer Atkinson to Sam Curran these days playing for Surrey, so England can have the latter in the white ball game, give us back Gus for the Vitality blast Laughing

Last edited by Peter.M.Gardens on Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Chinaman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:19 pm

The lack of a TV deal for India vs England has made the national press today.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:48 am

The bowling looks barely county strength.

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 19 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum