Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Chairman speaks

+7
Jackers
Wokoval
MatthewC
Alex!
SimonH
kjb
Ray AFCW
11 posters

Go down

The Chairman speaks  Empty The Chairman speaks

Post by Ray AFCW Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:13 pm

Oli Slipper confirms Surrey will “look to own and operate our own [Hundred] team” instead of franchise a share

“We are the pacesetters in English cricket and if any Club expects to play domestic cricket at the Oval, they should also expect to wear the Three Feathers of Surrey.”

https://www.kiaoval.com/a-message-from-surrey-chair-oli-slipper/

Hmmm…

Ray AFCW

SimonH likes this post

Back to top Go down

The Chairman speaks  Empty Re: The Chairman speaks

Post by kjb Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:28 pm

As Surrey is a members club perhaps the Chair should get the views of those members before dictating what he or the club intend to do.

Views?

kjb

Jason and Ray AFCW like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonH Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:39 pm

I sent this in reply:

"A Message for the Chair.

Fine words, but I’m afraid I don’t believe this: “I will do nothing that will imperil the future of either this Club or County Cricket …”

Your email immediately says how wonderful the Hundred is blah blah.

The Hundred is already imperilling the Club and County Cricket, and we can see what’s going to happen is going to damage the game further.

We’re going to do everything we can to stop it.

Thanks
Simon"

SimonH

Chinaman, Erniep7070, DiggerTV and Wokoval like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:39 pm

kjb wrote:As Surrey is a members club perhaps the Chair should get the views of those members before dictating what he or the club intend to do.

Views?

To be fair the piece does say there are going to be two members forums in January.

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewC Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:56 pm

I don’t believe that rebranding to “Surrey Invincibles” is anything other than a result of market research which shows that the “Surrey” name has far more recognition that “Oval”.

This is an initiative centred around selling more merch and more tickets at a higher price.

I’d give Mr Slipper credit if he was actually upfront about that. This nonsense about it being based on “wearing the three feathers” is pretty insulting.

MatthewC

SimonH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wokoval Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:21 pm

Some quick thoughts. As Simon H quite correctly points out above saying he will do nothing to imperil the club or county cricket and then setting out his vision on the future of the Hundred is a complete contradiction. He seems to base his thinking on the “success” of the Hundred on ticketing sales and TV revenue. What about its cricketing negatives which he ignores. We have already seen, as an example, that it has contributed to our 50 over World Cup performance ( I am not suggesting it was all down to the Hundred) and marginalisation of the County Championship. He also mentions “turbulence “ ahead but does not say where from. Is he referring to the ECB or county members?. At least there are plans for members forums but this is not the same as a vote. For something so radical I think the members must have an opportunity to be fully consulted. The future of the county game is at stake. I suspect they see people like me as some sort of “cricket Luddite” but the Luddites were not against new technology but the way in which it was being used. Not very impressed by Mr Slipper so far.

Wokoval

Chinaman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:26 pm

I'm just coming briefly out of hibernation to give my initial thoughts on the Chairman's comments.

I think there are things in his vision which I can support. Firstly, if we are stuck with the Hundred until 2028 at least, then if the ECB are proposing to give back ownership of teams to all 18 counties that has to be progress. I particularly welcome his unequivocal promise that "While other teams will opt to sell equity in their team, under my stewardship Surrey will take a longer-term view and look to own and operate our own team within this tournament".  

My objection to this has never been with the novel format. 20 fewer balls are not worth dying in the ditch for. It has been that domestic cricket is being played at The Oval by a non-Surrey franchise team.  

So I might surprise a few on here by giving a cautious welcome to much of what the Chairman has said.

There is an important caveat to this, which we can and should explore at the January meetings.

If counties are going to be given control over their Hundred teams (and if the team is to play under the Surrey umbrella), we are still left with the problem of an over-crowded calendar. Using England's abject 50-over performances as evidence, we have to create the space to restore the 50-over tournament to a serious competition in which all of the the best players are competing. We also have to ensure that there is some space in the prime summer months to schedule championship cricket if the Chairman's words mean what they say: " If my time as your Chair is going to have any single unifying ‘theme’ then I can guarantee it’ll be ensuring that we protect the County Championship."

I see no other way to create this space than to amalgamate The Hundred with the T20 Blast. That would be a tough call for some, I know, but there is simply no room for two short-form tournaments, so it is a step I could support if our team is playing the Hundred under the Surrey banner with no franchise involvement, which is what I read the Chairman's comments as saying.   

So I'm going to give the proposals a fair hearing before coming down firmly for or against them. The devil will be in the detail, but the deal-breaker for me was always the fact we did not own the team, nor was it playing as a Surrey team. If we are going to do so, and if we are assured that we will not sell a stake in our team to an outside franchise, I might - just might - be persuaded to back it.

Happy Christmas all.
Jackers
Jackers

SimonH and MatthewC like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wokoval Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:49 pm

A very fair comment Jackers. As you say the devil will be in the detail. This is why a couple of members forums, whilst helpful and welcome, are not adequate. The caveats you refer to are important. Surrey may be big enough to preserve its identity but what about the other counties.
Merry Christmas everyone!.

Wokoval

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:14 pm

Jackers

I appreciate that the implications for Surrey are foremost in Surrey members' minds but is it really in Surrey's interest to be the lone county-owned outfit playing against seven (nine? seventeen?) franchises leaching the very life out of the counties who are hosting them? Is that really going to help preserve the counties and the County Championship itself?

I agree that the actual format and the extra hoopla has never been a ditch to die in but I think there are deeper and more significant ditches available than whther the team is owned by Surrey or not.

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewC Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:34 pm

Excellent post, Jackers.

I believe there could be space for two T20 tournaments, but they should be configured sensibly. The Blast should be run as a straight league, taking place Thursday/Friday nights. Two divisions of 9, play each other home and away. Winner of Div 1 are champions, 2 up 2 down between Divs 1 & 2.

The space the 100 takes up could be a short-form two week T20 (or 100) tournament designed for FTA TV. 18 counties plus 2 guest teams, using the rugby world cup format. 4 groups of 5 (so 2 home games each), top 2 go to the quarter-finals.

Then the Championship and a 50 over tournament could still fit in. Simple, works for the mass audience and minimises infringement on the rest of the season.

MatthewC

Back to top Go down

Post by offdrive4 Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:49 pm

Fine words from our Chairman, I shall wait to see whether the parsnips will be buttered. I give him credit for the message, he obviously has some understanding of our views (maybe he sensibly reads this message board). There are a number of practical difficulties-
1) As mentioned above 4 competitions is one too many for the calendar. You cannot ditch the Blast and take that income away from Counties.
2) 18 counties are to be given a hundred franchise, there are not 18 hundred franchises.
3) If the Surrey Invincibles is owned by the County it should have Surrey players and coaching staff so we could begin to feel some association.
4) If successful the franchises may get very powerful and start to run cricket in their own interests (See IPL). Sport should not be run as a money making concern.

offdrive4

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:11 pm

The idea of Surrey “buying” / taking over the Oval Invisibles was long mooted by Richard Gould when he was CEO so this will be a positive step assuming we’re allowed to keep the ground as is, a proper scoreboard, etc, and then I may be prepared to watch “Surrey” at The Oval. (What a weird thing to say.)

It doesn’t sort out the fixture congestion.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonH Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:45 pm

https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/premiumopinion/not_just_venue_rented_out_highest_bidder_surrey_chair_oli_slipper_hundred_future.html

HUW TURBERVILL analyses a letter sent by Slipper to Surrey's membership, in which he explains his plans for the county's relationship with The Hundred

Huw Turbervill | 12/12/2023 at 15:03
Surrey's new(ish) chair Oli Slipper has written to the club's 18,500 members to tell them how great The Hundred is.

Well, I don't think that he was entirely motivated by that, to be fair; he's actually penned them a Christmas note saying a few things, but that's the bit that caught my eye (what a surprise, eh?).

He played age-group and 2nd XI for the county; he is also now executive chair of Pitch, the leading sports marketing agency (oh, and he has role in darts, so this time of the year is big for him).

So apart from saying "what a tremendous honour and privilege" it is to be chair at The Rey, and how chuffed he was that they won the title, this is what he says about The Hundred…. And I hope no one minds me adding my own notes:

"For many long-standing and committed Members of this Club (Note: Sorry about the needless capital letters, all clubs and sporting organisations seem to do this, I have never worked out why), the greatest challenge to the red-ball game is The Hundred. I fully understand and appreciate those concerns, but I want to assure you that, as Chair, I will do nothing that will imperil the future of either this Club or County Cricket. I would also like to make you another guarantee; I will never misrepresent the state of the game, or deal in half-truths.

"The reality is that The Hundred has been a huge success both from a ticketing and TV perspective (Note: This is debatable. Tickets are cheaper than for the T20 Blast. The Hundred has been given the summer's prime real estate, the summer school holidays in August. The Kia Oval already sold out for Blast games when it was given decent slots, rather than Tuesdays in June. It is true that Sky love it. They think that an 18-team tournament is mediocre – in terms of stadiums, players, pitches, you name it. The BBC love it because it is new… they don't seem to like old stuff, even though most of their viewers are not young, and because it is short – more room therefore for gardening and antiques shows)."

surrey121201

Surrey are county champions (Steve Bardens/Getty Images)

Slipper continues: "It is also an extremely important revenue stream for the game of cricket, generating roughly 25 per cent of the ECB's revenue which funds the broader game of cricket (Note: This is debatable. Once you take out the £1.3million bribe per county each year, it makes a loss. And are we saying that a two-division county T20 would make nothing like that sum from telly companies?)… and helps maintain a viable 18-county ecosystem (Note: But for how long? How long really can a cricket club can carry on when it is happy not to play cricket. Some of the clubs take this money for now, but I fear that it is the equivalent of life support).

"The Hundred is also contracted as part of the ECB's broadcast deal for the next five years (Note: This is true, sadly), so it's simply not an option to replace it (Note: Ditto). That said, there is an appetite within the ECB and its 19 shareholders to continue to evolve and improve The Hundred to ensure it remains at the forefront of short-form 'franchise' cricket and this presents a unique opportunity for our Club (Note: Yes, it would be better if all 18 counties were involved, rather than sitting on their tod through August, unless you count the 50-over competition that sees them turn out depleted teams).

"It is likely that all 18 counties plus MCC will be given back ownership of their own Hundred teams. Counties will then be granted the opportunity to sell stakes in their 'franchise' (Note: Oh yes, the godsend of private money. Look what an unequivocal success that has been in football). Whilst other counties will undoubtedly opt to sell equity in their team, under my stewardship Surrey will take a longer-term view and look to own and operate our own team within this tournament.

"We must find a way of ensuring the history, heritage and legacy of this Club is represented in each month of the English summer (Note: That sounds more promising). We are not just a venue rented out to the highest bidder, we are the greatest Club in the world. We are the pacesetters in English cricket and if any Club expects to play domestic cricket at The Kia Oval, they should also expect to wear the Three Feathers of Surrey. Therefore, it is my ambition, that we get to a point where anyone who plays domestic cricket at this ground does so in the knowledge that they are standing on the shoulders of giants such as Edrich, Hobbs, Stewart and Hollioake (Note: OK, OK, this is much better).

"I believe that it is our seat at the table that will allow us to wield the power and influence necessary to not only further the interests of Surrey County Cricket Club, but also protect and even grow the red-ball game in this country. The Counties will need strong voices in the coming years, not just from the sidelines but from within the game at all levels, and I intend ours to be a leading voice."

invincibles121201

Oval Invincibles won the 2023 men's competition (Alex Davidson/Getty Images)

Before anyone has a go at me, yes, I know that The Hundred has been good for women's cricket. And Slipper says on that theme: "In the women’s game, we intend to submit a bid to the ECB to take full ownership of the regional side, the South East Stars, so that the Three Feathers are represented at all levels of women's domestic cricket."

I still maintain most Surrey fans would just like a men’s T20 side called Surrey playing in an 18-county competition, but it is what it is. (I simply cannot understand why Slipper and the fans would like a team half-owned by the ECB that represents the interests of Surrey and Kent, more than a Surrey T20 team purely owned by them?).

Apparently, Richard Gould, the ex-Surrey CEO of course, is – déjà vu – believed to be edging towards receiving the support he needs to tweak The Hundred and – depending on who you talk to – it will have a top flight of eight or 10, two divisions, promotion and relegation, promotion dependent on fulfilling stadium criteria, and so on.

In the January issue of The Cricketer magazine out later this week, David Gower took Mark Nicholas to lunch, and the former Hampshire skipper and Channel 4 heartthrob (said my mum) helped us explain what might happen with The Hundred and so on.

"I think that it's an interesting idea for MCC to have a team in it… (and sides being bought) for between £35m–£65m. Imagine what that can do for the game… If you'd owned 5 per cent of the IPL from day one, you'd be a very happy chappie now!" And so on. Does all that money talk float your boat too? Hmmm.

"So here it is, Merry Christmas, everybody's having fun;

Look to the future now, it's only just begun…"

SimonH

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:40 am

adelaide wrote:Jackers

I appreciate that the implications for Surrey are foremost in Surrey members' minds but is it really in Surrey's interest to be the lone county-owned outfit playing against seven (nine? seventeen?) franchises leaching the very life out of the counties who are hosting them? Is that really going to help preserve the counties and the County Championship itself?

I agree that the actual format and the extra hoopla has never been a ditch to die in but I think there are deeper and more significant ditches available than whther the team is owned by Surrey or not.

Hi Adelaide

I concede that other counties may not feel that they have the luxury of keeping their Hundred teams "in house" if the ECB hands it over to them, and that the riches that they could get from outsourcing are simply irresistable. But actions have consequences, and Surrey can't continually compromise the club's values or identity because of the short-sighted decisions which other counties either choose to, or feel they are obliged to, take.

Had other counties resisted the "fool's gold" offered by Harrison and Graves from the outset, none of us would now be in this predicament, and we would instead be moving forward with an enhanced T20 competition, with promotion and relegation, which was the model Surrey and just a couple of other counties beseeched the game to adopt. But the majority of counties' votes prevailed, so we are where we are, and we simply cannot rid ourselves of the gimmicky Hundred format until at least 2028. In the meantime, it is about damage limitation, and the vision which the Chairman outlined for a Hundred in which Surrey owns the team and it plays under our name is one which I can identify with. As I said, that doesn't mean I'm giving the blueprint a blank cheque: unless it also creates space in the English calendar to protect/improve the chamionship summer schedule and restore the 50-over competition to a first-team tournament, it is of limited value.

I'm in danger of getting sucked back on to protracted discussion when I need to stay disciplined about taking my winter break away from the board, so knowing that you love the last word in any discussion, I'll leave you to it!  Very Happy
Jackers
Jackers

SimonH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by offdrive4 Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:06 am

Jackers, some of the other counties were in desperate financial trouble, instead of using their financial resources to assist county cricket the ECB bribed them to support the horrid hundred. Shame on the better off (effectively Test hosting) counties who could have stopped this in its tracks.

offdrive4

SimonH, adelaide and Wokoval like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:13 pm

Offdrive - 100 per cent agree

Jackers (if you aren't back under the leaves again) - I think we have been here before but I think the only county which voted consistently at every stage against the Hundred was Kent. Others, including Surrey, were inconsistent. From memory Surrey did oppose it at the last stage (and quite possibly at one of the earlier stages at which counties could vote - I think there were three) but by the last stage it was too late. The more cynical might think that it was token opposition by that stage to placate the members. Or maybe the objection was to the non-alignment with Surrey itself, in which case Slipper's recent statements would make sense, if Surrey have the chance to own a franchise.

I'm not implying that any of that makes Surrey worse than any other county - apart from Kent and who knows whether they had their own motives. Consistent opposition from the outset was what was needed if (like the meat in the Strauss review) it was to be killed off.

adelaide

SimonH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by optimistnot Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:49 pm

I think we may be seeing that the proposed changes are a done deal. Lancashire getting planning permission for a raining ground come stadium in the middle of no where, our chairman saying Surrey looking to do the same and now Gloucestershire looking to move out of Bristol presumably because they feel guaranteed to get one of the new franchises.
I can see in the future if Surrey do build this new complex that the 50 over competition will be played there and many of the home men`s red ball fixtures. This would free up time at the Oval for the expanded men`s and women`s franchises and more international cricket.

optimistnot

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:12 pm

I make enough ytpos to sink a ship but I do like the idea of a raining ground.

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by optimistnot Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:35 pm

Now Durham saying they expect to get a Hundred franchise.

optimistnot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down