Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ravi Ashwin

+9
kjb
RB
Coatesy
dougieginn
Chinaman
Alex!
Jackers
Erniep7070
Cee Gee
13 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Ravi Ashwin  Empty Re: Ravi Ashwin

Post by Erniep7070 Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:29 pm

Maybe we can get him injured so England don’t have to face him!! 😂😂😂😂

Erniep7070

Cee Gee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:36 pm

Only six years too late!...the one player I implored Surrey to sign year after year since about 2015 on the old message board.

I appreciate that it is just an emergency, stop-gap signing, but on a thoroughly depressing day this at least warmed the cockles of my heart.

Last edited by Jackers on Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:39 pm

One game? What's the bloody point?

And I assume you drop Virdi to accommodate him? Sheesh

Alex!

dougieginn and Badges like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:45 pm

3 spinner line up, surely.

Cee Gee

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:11 pm

This is beginning to remind me when we signed a rather rotund
Shohib Aktar to try and prevent us from not going down back in, mmm...can't remember. Didn't work and cost us £100 a ball I believe. Can't keep blaming call ups any more.

Chinaman

Badges likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:19 pm

We need a good seam bowler not another spinner,which is our strong point. Seem to remember Virdi outbowled Ashwin a couple of year ago, getting 16 wickets in the match against 12 by Ashwin.
How about Trent Boult? Or wait to get Roach back. Sounds like a panic signing to me.

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:38 pm

I was waiting for the "Virdi outbowled Ashwin at Trent Bridge once" trope. I've seen it many times, and never challenged it. This seems like the right moment.

The Notts team in 2019 was probably the weakest ever to play in the top division. Their batting especially was dreadful - 16 batting points from 14 games (we finished just two places above them, but achieved more than twice as many batting points).

With all due respect to Virdi, who had a fine match, you cannot say he "outbowled" Ashwin given the very different abilities of the batsmen against whom they each bowled.
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:15 pm

No doubt he's an incredible player, but what would Ashwin offer us for the sake of just one game? Just makes us look like puppets for the BCCI, which horrifies me more than the grumblings many of us have with the ECB

We are looking for a player of Morkel's ilk, which I'd say Jamieson fits, but as our luck has it he's crocked at the worst possible time...

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:12 am

Jackers wrote:I was waiting for the "Virdi outbowled Ashwin at Trent Bridge once" trope. I've seen it many times, and never challenged it. This seems like the right moment.

The Notts team in 2019 was probably the weakest ever to play in the top division. Their batting especially was dreadful - 16 batting points from 14 games (we finished just two places above them, but achieved more than twice as many batting points).

With all due respect to Virdi, who had a fine match, you cannot say he "outbowled" Ashwin given the very different abilities of the batsmen against whom they each bowled.

Are you really saying that just because Ashwin had to bowl to a Surrey top 8 that included Ryan Patel, Borthwick, Jamie Smith, Will Jacks and both Clark(e)s that nobody is allowed to say Virdi bowled better than him in that game? Notts were poor then, but their lineup isn’t much different to what it is today. You make it sound like Ashwin had a right to be overawed by the power of our batting in that game!

Cee Gee

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:08 am

The problem here is why do we need another spinner? A good one yes, but we are not playing Moriaty for some unknown reason. It's not spinners we need it's decent seam bowlers. No Topley, Dunn, McKeer, Plunket all injured. Rikki looking his age, Overton can't buy a wicket, Durnbach at Derby. The only one who is "alright" is Jordan Clark. Now the batsmen. ....

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:32 am

Cee Gee wrote:
Jackers wrote:I was waiting for the "Virdi outbowled Ashwin at Trent Bridge once" trope. I've seen it many times, and never challenged it. This seems like the right moment.

Are you really saying that just because Ashwin had to bowl to a Surrey top 8 that included Ryan Patel, Borthwick, Jamie Smith, Will Jacks and both Clark(e)s that nobody is allowed to say Virdi bowled better than him in that game? Notts were poor then, but their lineup isn’t much different to what it is today. You make it sound like Ashwin had a right to be overawed by the power of our batting in that game!

People are allowed to say he bowled better, but it doesn't make it true when considering the context.

Ashwin dismissed Burns once and Elgar twice cheaply in that match. Notts had no batsmen remotely of that class in their team. For good measure, Ashwin's 66 not out in the second innings (in addition to 27 in the first) was the highest score of the match.

It rather reminds me of the FA Cup in 1982 when Spurs beat Arsenal in the third round and their non-league neighbours Enfield Town got through to the fourth. For months Spurs fans delighted in singing "We all agree, Enfield got further than Arsenal".

There is a case to be made that Ashwin's skill-set is not now what we need most desperately without misrepresenting the evidence of that one match.

Last edited by Jackers on Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:23 am; edited 2 times in total
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by Coatesy Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:42 am

ive said it before and I will say it again, Ashwin is very good bowler, but only if the conditions suit him

I have no idea what his record in the sub continent is compared to when not play there, but I would wager a fait bit that there is a big difference

Not sure I agree with this decision by the club if it does go ahead. I assume its to give us a chance to finish in the top 2, but after the last 2 days that unlikely to happen either

Coatesy

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:21 pm

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Post by Coatesy Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:29 pm

Desperate!!!!!

Coatesy

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:46 pm

If Stewie really puts England before Surrey (as has been claimed) he would not sign Ashwin.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Coatesy Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:56 pm

He is hoping that he gets injured like our other overseas players, therefore putting England before Surrey Smile

Of course, we could always play a player contracted to the club, as we arent going to make the top 2 in the division, now theres a thought

Coatesy

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:00 pm

Or we're going to try and use that 1% chance of qualifying... Bunsen burner, 4 spinners... (Burns, Stoneman, Amla, Patel, Smith, Geddes, Clark, Ashwin, Batty, Moriarty, Virdi)

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:19 pm

Very excited about the signing.

While I take the point that it's our seam department that is virtually useless, I give Alec Stewart credit for not waving the white flag and getting a quality player in, even if it is just for one match. We have seen virtually no championship cricket for two years - when we do get to see a rare match I don't want to see us fielding a load of second-raters and academy players.

Prepare a raging bunsen, give them a taste of their own medicine. It would help if the weather plays ball and we bat first, of course!

Last edited by Jackers on Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by kjb Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:20 pm

Come on RB, do you really think Batty could play a 4 day match for the first time in 3 years?
I see no point in signing Ashwin at this point especially as there are others who have been with us all season although there aren't that many available now.

kjb

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:33 pm

As one of four spinners? Yes, I do.

I did see a Test Match between Australia and Bangladesh a few years ago where both sides played four spinners, so you never know...

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:51 pm

Chinaman wrote:This is beginning to remind me when we signed a rather rotund
Shohib Aktar to try and prevent us from not going down back in, mmm...can't remember. Didn't work and cost us £100 a ball I believe. Can't keep blaming call ups any more.

From memory,2 games and 1 wicket (Carberry) in 2008.One of the games was Meaker's debut.

Last edited by Badges on Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:54 pm

Ashwin ? STOP IT.........................

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:19 pm

Meanwhile Essex have extended Jimmy Neesham so he’ll be playing in the Royal London Cup, whereas we’ll barely be able to get XI out. At least we have Ashwin for one game.

Cee Gee

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:22 pm

Considering Virdi’s inexperience at the time ,compared with Ashwin,I think most reasonable people would say that he outbowled him.

dougieginn

Cee Gee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next