Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Purposeful running down of interest in CC

+6
adelaide
VicNorth
MatthewC
Jason
Wokoval
David Waghorn
10 posters

Go down

Purposeful running down of interest in CC Empty Purposeful running down of interest in CC

Post by David Waghorn Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:36 pm

If there was any slightest doubt in the now total lack of support or interest in the County Championship, nothing highlights this more than the fact that tonight we are only 36 hours away from the start of the red ball season and there is no mention of it on the BBC cricket website page. There is no review of each county, the likely winners and relegation teams in Div 1, the potentially promoted counties in Div 2 and all the news about the teams. In the past there would at least have been a discussion of the season about to start but now all the BBC and others want to get to is the two baseball competitions which are ruining our proper beloved game. Of course the CEO of Durham is another fine example of this with his latest scandalous outburst against those of us who still yearn for a season (April to September) of red ball entertainment.
Of course I also have to admit that even on the website of our own SCCC, there is still nothing of note about the start of the season - very disappointing and sad. There should be video interviews with Batty & Burns as a minimum and even Alec Stewart could say a few more words as to how he expects the team to improve and develop.
Do others agree with any of this or am I just singing out on my own??!!

David Waghorn

Chinaman, Sir Winston Churchill and Wokoval like this post

Back to top Go down

Purposeful running down of interest in CC Empty Re: Purposeful running down of interest in CC

Post by Chinaman Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:56 pm

The only review I've found is a 45 minute Sky podcast on You Tube with Atherton, Hussain and the idiot Durham CEO talking solely about Durham. I turned it off after 15 minutes but not before he had the gall to say that 4 competitions is too many, and the red ball game shouldn't start in April!

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Purposeful running down of interest in CC Empty Re: Purposeful running down of interest in CC

Post by Chinaman Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:18 pm

Check out the Talk Sport You Tube Channel. There is a one hour county review worth checking out.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Wokoval Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:15 am

The BBC’s cricket website page is a disgrace.

Wokoval

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:23 am

Wokoval wrote:The BBC’s cricket website page is a disgrace.

Ageed. Today's headlines are about a pointless England Women ODI series in NZ. No review of the upcoming county season as yet.I

I'm beginning to think all this lot wants is wall to wall T20 and the 100, and would be pleased to dump everything else. It's depressing.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:45 am

The Graun has a decent County by County. Although it's now slipped down off the main cricket page.

Plus also a piece on Alex.

Jason

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:55 am

Next to nothing on the official website this week, except for the Tea Breaks are going to be sponsored by Tata, and we'll be able to buy tea in the bars this season!
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewC Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:46 am

Let's be honest, county members who love the Championship are treated as a nuisance, even by our own wealthy club.

Doubtless Surrey sell the bulk of their memberships on the back of access to interational tickets. I was sat in the Pavilion for the ODI last September, the chap next to me (wearing a Surrey cap!) asked me which county Gus Atkinson plays for No

MatthewC

Jason, Badges, VicNorth and Wokoval like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:31 am

The Cricketer is excellent.

VicNorth

Wokoval likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:02 am

Peter.M.Gardens wrote:Next to nothing on the official website this week, except for the Tea Breaks are going to be sponsored by Tata, and we'll be able to buy tea in the bars this season!

DiversiTEA, EqualiTEA and Infusion. It all fits the woke agenda.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:14 am

Chinaman wrote:
Peter.M.Gardens wrote:Next to nothing on the official website this week, except for the Tea Breaks are going to be sponsored by Tata, and we'll be able to buy tea in the bars this season!

Oi! I did diversi=tea on another thread. Breach of copyright!

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:22 am

adelaide wrote:
Chinaman wrote:

Oi! I did diversi=tea on another thread. Breach of copyright!

Oh sorry. I need to get JM Finn financial advice at the Oval next Friday! (see your e-mails).

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:10 pm

TMS should have their county preview podcast out today. I will have to watch the Sky one with the Durham guy to see what he actually says about county cricket. I agree with him that 4 competitions is too many the 100 should be scrapped.

Steve

Jackers and Wokoval like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:24 pm

LGBTeaQ.

VicNorth

Chinaman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:27 pm

Someone at the BBC must read this forum...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/68721660

For most counties it is pretty sketchy stuff.

Vic - LGBTeaQup, even?

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:37 pm

Leg Break Googly Tea Queue.

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:41 pm

MatthewC wrote:Let's be honest, county members who love the Championship are treated as a nuisance, even by our own wealthy club.

Doubtless Surrey sell the bulk of their memberships on the back of access to interational tickets. I was sat in the Pavilion for the ODI last September, the chap next to me (wearing a Surrey cap!) asked me which county Gus Atkinson plays for No

After today's news, that might be a moot point.
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:45 pm

He has actually played more international one-day cricket than he has domestic.

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:53 am

Do you think the only times we'll see Jacks and Topley this season is either playing for England (T20 v Pakistan) or in the bloody Hundred!

I think the ECB have to decide on wether Test players should play any county cricket (as some don't)

IMO we need to have protected weeks of the year were for example the ECB say match 2 and 3 all counties will have their Test players available for selection, so county members know if they turn up at Headingley they might see Root, Brook and Bairstow all playing in same team. (I notice that only Brook is in their squad today - Dan Moriarty is too!)

ECB surely has to make the domestic competitions as strong as they possibly can.

I'm just sick of seeing Sam Currans face on every page I click on the Surrey website when I am booking tickets or looking for match information, when I know I'm potentially not going to see him play for Surrey at all this season
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

VicNorth and Wokoval like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:48 am

The decimation of the first day of cricket through weather is exactly what could be predicted when games are scheduled for the first week of April. The ECB are, effectively, constructively dismissing the original and best form of the game.

I have said for some time that those counties which are serious about cherishing and prioritising the red ball format need to have the cojones to set up a separate governing body,  the "County Cricket Conference". They should sue the ECB for a share of the game's money which will at least help to get the thing off the ground. The ECB can schedule international matches at the grounds of CCC members' grounds around county fixtures, though obviously the MCC will control what goes on and when at Lord's.
Jackers
Jackers

Chinaman and VicNorth like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:37 am

I read somewhere Lancashire are in favour of reducing the county championship down to 12 games, so I can't imagine there is consensus of opinion even amongst the bigger counties, We'd probably need Lancs, Warwicks, Yorkshire and Notts to all break away with us so that the ECB couldn't hold the prospect of losing Test matches over us as a bargaining chip. (Imagining Middlesex would have to break away from Lords to be fellow rebels)
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down