Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One Day Cup

+23
RB
Ray AFCW
Bhambrownhatter
offdrive4
oldboy65
Keith Powell
dougieginn
Badges
Alex!
guildfordbat
The Red Rooster
Sir Winston Churchill
Coatesy
Pink Panther
adelaide
John Hamilton
Basileus1453
kjb
paultpm
cowcorner
Olympian2
Admin
Cee Gee
27 posters

Page 16 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16

Go down

One Day Cup - Page 16 Empty Re: One Day Cup

Post by Chinaman Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:37 pm

Well it might be fate, but at least they had dry weather on Thursday. It's raining now in London so the sacred 100 could be in for at least a partial washout. They've said that, get this, they will play 25 balls a side rather the come back tomorrow. I wonder why? Probably gave away at least 50% of Finals tickets at the start, in case it bombed completely. The Oval was only half full last night apparently.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:41 pm

Tim David has secured a Hundred, CPL and IPL contracts in the same week. Alec deserves a % of that for plucking him out of the Dutch league.

Cee Gee

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:39 am

Cee Gee wrote:Tim David has secured a Hundred, CPL and IPL contracts in the same week. Alec deserves a % of that for plucking him out of the Dutch league.

I'm guessing Alec's role now is not only to develop players for England (as he's often told us) but also for the Hundred, CPL and IPL?!

That's how it seems anyway and I do have some sympathy here with Alec. If David had flopped, we would all (me included) be moaning that Alec had signed a no hoper. David in fact came good and so it's unlikely he'll play much or at all for us in the future. Meanwhile, Alec has to start again and look to sign a replacement as good and available.

guildfordbat

Cee Gee and RB like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:18 am

guildfordbat wrote:
Cee Gee wrote:Tim David has secured a Hundred, CPL and IPL contracts in the same week. Alec deserves a % of that for plucking him out of the Dutch league.

I'm guessing Alec's role now is not only to develop players for England (as he's often told us) but also for the Hundred, CPL and IPL?!

That's how it seems anyway and I do have some sympathy here with Alec. If David had flopped, we would all (me included) be moaning that  Alec had signed a no hoper. David in fact came good and so it's unlikely he'll play much or at all for us in the future. Meanwhile, Alec has to start again and look to sign a replacement as good and available.

I think you are assuming that David would have come back to Surrey next year even if he had been just OK but T20 imports (which is what he was originally) hop around from county to county all the time. Gratitude for being signed up in the first place doesn't enter into it.

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:28 pm

adelaide wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:

That's how it seems anyway and I do have some sympathy here with Alec. If David had flopped, we would all (me included) be moaning that  Alec had signed a no hoper. David in fact came good and so it's unlikely he'll play much or at all for us in the future. Meanwhile, Alec has to start again and look to sign a replacement as good and available.

I think you are assuming that David would have come back to Surrey next year even if he had been just OK but T20 imports (which is what he was originally) hop around from county to county all the time. Gratitude for being signed up in the first place doesn't enter into it.

Adelaide - you seem to know more about Surrey than all the Surrey supporters here put together so please tell me who was the last T20 import we wanted to keep who hopped to another county.

guildfordbat

Pink Panther likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pink Panther Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:14 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
adelaide wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:

Adelaide - you seem to know more about Surrey than all the Surrey supporters here put together so please tell me who was the last T20 import we wanted to keep who hopped to another county.
I'm struggling to think of any overseas T20 Surrey players during the last decade or so worth keeping beyond Sangakkara and Finch. Most have been indifferent at best: Arafat, Nannes, Maxwell, Henriques, Wahab Riaz, Elgar, Bravo, Tahir. Even David himself didn't show what he was capable of in our colours in T20, only in the 50 overs games. However I don't see why he wouldn't come back to Surrey for next year's Blast if we choose to make him an offer. What other tournament will he be playing during that window, and why would he choose a different county instead?
Pink Panther
Pink Panther

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:33 pm

Fair comment, GB, though I was thinking of T20 players in general, not something specific to Surrey. Sometimes it's no more than play in year X, have international commitment in year X+1 so someone else plays, neither player can depend on getting an offer for year X+2 and someone else gets in first.

By the same token, PP, if Surrey made David an offer for next year right now and it didn't clash, I expect he'd sign up. If it hadn't been for the 50 over success, he would have been expecting Surrey to look for a higher profile player (and so would most posters here), so - again - first offer would secure his services.

I think it's just the way of the world with short term contracts. If a player like Elgar is on the books for the whole season that's a different matter.

adelaide

Pink Panther likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:54 am

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/cpl-2021-fearless-tim-david-making-a-mark-with-ipl-his-next-stop-1276677 - good article on Tim David. If the Blast is played in full before the Hundred next season then we will hopefully see him again.

Cee Gee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum