Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gareth Batty

+5
Badges
Alex!
Missing Leg
guildfordbat
Cee Gee
9 posters

Go down

Gareth Batty Empty Gareth Batty

Post by Cee Gee Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:26 am

Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere but according to a tweet from Richard Thompson, Gareth Batty has retired.

Cee Gee

Back to top Go down

Gareth Batty Empty Re: Gareth Batty

Post by guildfordbat Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:34 am

Cee Gee wrote:Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere but according to a tweet from Richard Thompson, Gareth Batty has retired.

I didn't know that and can't find Thompson's twitter account. Surely the Club would have gone big on this?!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:00 am

guildfordbat wrote:
Cee Gee wrote:Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere but according to a tweet from Richard Thompson, Gareth Batty has retired.

I didn't know that and can't find Thompson's twitter account. Surely the Club would have gone big on this?!

https://twitter.com/rich_thomo/status/1441536135835029506?s=21

Though he’s also implied that Jade retired - which Jade doesn’t seem to be aware of.

Cee Gee

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:40 am

Cee Gee wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:

https://twitter.com/rich_thomo/status/1441536135835029506?s=21

Though he’s also implied that Jade retired - which Jade doesn’t seem to be aware of.

Ha ha! Like it.

Thanks, Cee Gee.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Missing Leg Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:16 am

Stewie announced Gareth Batty's retirement as a player at the awards dinner. By the looks of it, the whole room gave him a long standing ovation. It's at 57:30 on the video below if you can't bear to watch the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJNJ3GwZxUM

Missing Leg

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:45 pm

A real shame. Brilliant servant to the club and took on the reins during a rather tumultuous period

Alex!

Badges likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:02 pm

Absolutely tophole bloke.All the best to him.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by offdrive4 Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:26 am

The way Batty played this season he had another season in him! Thanks Gareth, I look forward to the statue (solid gold) earned by your contribution to Surrey. Now if you can sort out whatever seems to be ailing Virdi a crown will be added to the statue.

offdrive4

guildfordbat and Cee Gee like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:56 am

offdrive4 wrote:The way Batty played this season he had another season in him!   Thanks Gareth, I look forward to the statue (solid gold) earned by your contribution to Surrey.   Now if you can sort out whatever seems to be ailing Virdi a crown will be added to the statue.

As Batty is already spin coach, might his input not have contributed to Virdi's regression? Which, I should add, is one of the more distressing aspects of the season just gone for anyone who enjoys proper four day spin bowling. Virdi should have been closer to England recognition by now.

adelaide

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:18 pm

adelaide wrote:
offdrive4 wrote:The way Batty played this season he had another season in him!   Thanks Gareth, I look forward to the statue (solid gold) earned by your contribution to Surrey.   Now if you can sort out whatever seems to be ailing Virdi a crown will be added to the statue.

As Batty is already spin coach, might his input not have contributed to Virdi's regression? Which, I should add, is one of the more distressing aspects of the season just gone for anyone who enjoys proper four day spin  bowling. Virdi should have been closer to England recognition by now.

Virdi has had some involvement with the England training camp. There is a suspicion that his regression stems from there rather than Gareth Batty.

As said by others, we owe Gareth Batty a heck of a lot and always will. With news of his retirement just breaking, disappointing to see this shot from across the river.

guildfordbat

Badges, Erniep7070 and Pink Panther like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:14 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
adelaide wrote:

As Batty is already spin coach, might his input not have contributed to Virdi's regression? Which, I should add, is one of the more distressing aspects of the season just gone for anyone who enjoys proper four day spin  bowling. Virdi should have been closer to England recognition by now.

Virdi has had some involvement with the England training camp. There is a suspicion that his regression stems from there rather than Gareth Batty.

As said by others, we owe Gareth Batty a heck of a lot and always will. With news of his retirement just breaking, disappointing to see this shot from across the river.

Not intended as a shot, GB. He might well have been "Finned" by England but he still spends a lot of time at Surrey and you do only say "a suspicion" that it is England who have messed him up. It might of course be neither; players just sometimes lose form of confidence all on their own.

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:01 pm

adelaide wrote:

Not intended as a shot, GB. He might well have been "Finned" by England but he still spends a lot of time at Surrey and you do only say "a suspicion" that it is England who have messed him up. It might of course be neither; players just sometimes lose form of confidence all on their own.

Virdi's loss of form does seem connected with his new longer run up and I doubt he came up with that on his own or saw the need for it given his previous success.

Anyway, this thread should be about Gareth - the least he deserves - and I would ask that you set up a separate thread if you want to discuss Virdi further.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:44 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
adelaide wrote:

Virdi's loss of form does seem connected with his new longer run up and I doubt he came up with that on his own or saw the need for it given his previous success.

Anyway, this thread should be about Gareth - the least he deserves - and I would ask that you set up a separate thread if you want to discuss Virdi further.

Fair enough. Mind you, at the risk of sounding like Basic Fawlty, Offdrive mentioned Virdi first!

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbler Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:14 pm

Watch out, Vikram. Your replacement has just been promoted.

https://www.kiaoval.com/gareth-batty-becomes-full-time-assistant-coach/

Wobbler

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:16 pm

I find all the comments from "across the river" annoying and slightly creepy.It's best to mind your own business if you ask me.

100 plus posts in a new forum from an opposition supporter? Downright weird.

All the best to the wonderful Gareth Batty by the way.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by offdrive4 Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:41 pm

Adelaide, correct it was I who introduced Virdi into this topic, though in context.

I don't mind you supporting Middlesex, someone has to I suppose? Despite that drawback you are one of the most perceptive posters on this forum, do keep posting.

offdrive4

Cee Gee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:04 pm

offdrive4 wrote:Adelaide, correct it was I who introduced Virdi into this topic, though in context.

I don't mind you supporting Middlesex, someone has to I suppose?   Despite that drawback you are one of the most perceptive posters on this forum, do keep posting.

Thanks for your kind words, Offdrive.

The reason for my 100+ posts (I find it weird that someone has counted them TBH; I certainly haven't) is that I find a good many of the threads here entertaining, some insightful and very few dull or aggravating. When the forum before last went "in house" I thought I didn't think that quantity and perhaps quality of posting would be maintained but (leaving aside Mr Gray on the previous forum) it has been.

Have a good off-season, everyone (even Badges!)

adelaide

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:57 am

adelaide

It's there in black and white every time someone posts.No need for counting Mad

You've posted your fair share of bile about Surrey CCC on the Middlesex forum while coming in here making out you are a friend to everybody.

The classic two-faced person says one thing to your face and a different thing behind your back. in order to do that, one must be disingenuous and sneaky.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:43 am

Badges wrote:adelaide

It's there in black and white every time someone posts.No need for counting Mad

You've posted your fair share of bile about Surrey CCC on the Middlesex forum while coming in here making out you are a friend to everybody.

The classic two-faced person says one thing to your face and a different thing behind your back. in order to do that, one must be disingenuous and sneaky.

Yes, I see the count now.

I plead guilty to some dodgy stuff in my early MTWD days though bile is a bit over the top. I think I grew out of it. You could try that some time!

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:06 pm

It had been very pleasant up until now to not have this sort of stuff on the new board.

Cee Gee

Pink Panther likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:17 pm

Back to Batty…

… I wish he’d played ahead of Ashwin vs Somerset and ahead of Jacks vs Glamorgan.

RB

Badges likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbler Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:33 pm

Batty is still listed as an all-rounder in the 2022 squad on the website. More great comms work from our exalted club or a sign that he’s retained his playing registration for another twirl from the Pavilion End?

Wobbler

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbler Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:38 am

Well done to the club for picking this up and changing the squad list. Should I try my luck again and point out that Cameron Steel is out of place in the first-name alphabetical order of players?

Wobbler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down