Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It's normally "Fixtures Day" today!

+11
Keith Powell
Coatesy
Jackers
kjb
offdrive4
Alex!
cricketman
The Red Rooster
guildfordbat
Chinaman
Badges
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

It's normally "Fixtures Day" today! Empty It's normally "Fixtures Day" today!

Post by Badges Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:15 pm

Where are they?

Badges

Back to top Go down

It's normally "Fixtures Day" today! Empty Re: It's normally "Fixtures Day" today!

Post by Chinaman Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:35 pm

Badges wrote:Where are they?

On the ECB website it says "at the end of November at the earliest" .

With Covid seemingly hanging around maybe they'll leave it awhile? And they have probably more important things to think about, namely Harrison's future and indeed the forced restructuring of the whole sorry organisations. Well I hope so!

Chinaman

Badges likes this post

Back to top Go down

It's normally "Fixtures Day" today! Empty Re: It's normally "Fixtures Day" today!

Post by guildfordbat Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:29 am

Hi Badges - my understanding is that the delay is very much down to the ''Yorkshire problem''.

Although I don't believe any penalties have yet been confirmed, Yorks have been threatened by the ECB of the loss of Test cricket and Hundred fixtures at Headingley in 2022. If that happens the knock-on effects of finding and freeing up replacement venues could be quite considerable.

Add to that, there has been some speculation about Yorks being relegated to Division Two. Although I don't think that's likely (I haven't heard any such suggestions from the ECB), some Yorkshire folk are certainly worried about the possibility.

I could be very wrong (and hope I am) but doubt we'll have any formal confirmation of fixtures this side of Christmas.

guildfordbat

Badges likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Red Rooster Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:49 pm

Today's Daily Telegraph reports fixtures out "early January"

The Red Rooster

Badges likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by cricketman Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:00 am

Cricinfo explains all, and it is mostly good news!

cricketman

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:56 am

Direct debit day for my membership fees

All feels a bit hollow not knowing when I'm going to be there!

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:51 am

It's a diabolical liberty to delay the fixtures for this long.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:20 pm

I reckon because the ECB is besieged by the anialation of the Test team, English Cricket at a critical turning point, and the fallout from the Yorkshire business, the fixtures are well down the list. I doubt they have much idea what to do about anything bar their precious 100.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by The Red Rooster Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:45 pm

Looks like mid to end of January before the fixtures are out from the ECB ....

As a Bonus heres a link to a Cricketer article on this

https://twitter.com/TheCricketerMag/status/1479556446186528771

The Red Rooster

Badges likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:17 am

Schedule supposed to now be out after the conclusion of the Hobart test next week

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:19 pm

Where are the fixtures?It's getting silly..............................

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:26 pm

Badges wrote:Where are the fixtures?It's getting silly..............................
Maybe they are trying to rearrange the Championship schedule, and claim that they have "saved" red ball.
I did hear from somewhere they would be out next week, but who knows at the moment.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by The Red Rooster Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:33 pm

The Red Rooster

Badges likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:54 pm

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by The Red Rooster Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:18 pm

Coming out at 1.00pm tomorrow on the club website.

Anyone remember the good old days in the early 1980's when you could go up to the club office in September and get the provisional fixture list for the next season

The Red Rooster

KeninWestWickham likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:35 pm

The Red Rooster wrote:Coming out at 1.00pm tomorrow on the club website.

Anyone remember the good old days in the early 1980's when you could go up to the club office in September and get the provisional fixture list for the next season

Yes I do. Sunday League every Sunday, B&H and Nat West. No T20 crap. Oh my.

I wonder how many June, July and August Championship games we will get now. Doubt if much will change this year till the people who have caused all the problems have reviewed The Nightmare Down Under, soon to be released as a sequel to Nightmare On Elm Street.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by offdrive4 Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:45 pm

Harrison seems surprised to find the county championship is in a poorly state and that this is affecting the test team.   People have been complaining for several years, but he obviously has not listened.   Harrison was also largely responsible for the horrid hundred that has greatly exacerbated the situation, completely fouling up an already conjested fixture list.

I have seen it mooted that the championship will be played at the same time as the hundred, that is great but the championship would have to have first call on players and grounds.  I would be happy with that!  Dream on.  If the hundred is prioritised then having the squad players play championship cricket in mid summer is not going to help the Test team at all and will totally devalue the competition.

Scrap the hundred, scrap Harrison.

offdrive4

Chinaman and KeninWestWickham like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:26 pm

I'll have a proper look later, but another trip to Scarbados is lovely

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:28 pm

Yes, 3 games in July, wonders never cease!
Only playing Essex and Hampshire once though.
There is a 4 day Tour match with a Sri Lanka team at Guildford as well from 20-23 May. No 100 fixtures yet but I think that'll be in August same time as the ODC. The Blast is largely in June so it shouldn't interfere with the County Games. Looks like the ECB are beginning to recognise there is such a thing as red ball cricket.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by kjb Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:37 pm

On first look, in the CC, we have 4 in April,2 in May, 2 in June,3 in July, NOTHING in August except 50 over matches and 3 in September.
I reckon that's still half the matches as bookends.  We don't play Essex away or Lancashire at home.  Good luck to those going to Old Trafford on 26 September; pack your thermals.
it would also seem that we only have one 50 over match at Guildford so that will please some.

Neil Snowball has suggested that things might be EVEN better in 2023but that of course, depends on a number of matters.

Other views?

kjb

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:59 pm

Hi all

Just popping in off-season for a quick take on the fixtures.

Summary: by no means good, but heading cautiously in the right direction.

The good:
Some more four-day cricket in peak season.
Trip to Scarborough, which I'll try to make this time having not been in either 2018 or 19.
Only one game against Essex, who are palpably the strongest side in the division.

The bad
Too much in the bookends again. The first two rounds are too early and the last round too late (especially in bloody Manchester!). Play the RLODC group games at the start of the season and the championship in tandem with the Hundred (until we can get rid of that).
14 championship matches not enough - we need to use the evidence of the Ashes to push back up to 16, allowing aspiring test players more opportunity to develop/hone first-class cricket techniques

The unfortunate
No four-day match at Guildford. While it's sad not to have a home game at an outground, while we only have 7 precious home matches scheduled, they really do all need to be at HQ. If we can get the ECB to expand it back up to 8 next year then we can restore Guildford, but - for me - this is the right call as things stand.

Last edited by Jackers on Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by Coatesy Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:00 pm

The article by Neil Snowball, the new ECB managing director, via the BBC if any is interested

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/60057316

sounds promising, but will wait to see if anything is actually delivered

Coatesy

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:53 pm

Can anyone explain the 10 day or so gap between the Kent game at Beckenham and the first T20 game in May? I don't see why they could start the T20 2/3 days after that round and try and get another round of 4 day cricket in June.

It's nice to see the earlier rounds have some much needed/consistent weekend cricket, but once you get to June/July it's that paltry odd Sunday before everything is Mon-Thu. It's also a shame that they've never considered another round of pink ball fixtures after the ones we had in 2018

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Powell Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:04 pm

7 county games in spring and autumn still crazy planning.

Keith Powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next