Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Petition to Save First Class Cricket

+4
offdrive4
Pink Panther
Chinaman
David W
8 posters

Go down

Petition to Save First Class Cricket Empty Petition to Save First Class Cricket

Post by David W Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:22 am

Could I ask everyone to take a moment to look at this petition?

https://lancsactiongroup.com/save-1st-class-cricket

It's hosted on a Lancashire Supporters' site but the campaign is being expanded to all 18 Counties so that we can show each club that their members and supporters want to protect the County Championship from further cuts.

We will all have seen calls for reducing the Championship from 14 to 10 games. Let's ask Surrey to oppose this.
David W
David W

Pink Panther likes this post

Back to top Go down

Petition to Save First Class Cricket Empty Re: Petition to Save First Class Cricket

Post by Chinaman Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:01 pm

Everybody needs to sign this now!
Ask yourselves: would you remain a county member with just 10 games in some idiotic conference, only 5 of which would be at home in likely April and September?
Even next year's Ashes is scheduled to finish end of July to accommodate the stinking 100!

Chinaman

Pink Panther likes this post

Back to top Go down

Petition to Save First Class Cricket Empty Re: Petition to Save First Class Cricket

Post by Pink Panther Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:29 pm

Seen it and done it already. We all need to if we wish to resist the creeping death of franchise cricket.
Pink Panther
Pink Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by offdrive4 Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:31 pm

I have signed!

offdrive4

Back to top Go down

Post by David W Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:05 am

Great to see some positive feedback

Please share the petition with your cricket friends.

A few of us will be handing out leaflets at the ground today and tomorrow and at some of the One Day Cup games to capture some names from people not on social media.
David W
David W

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonH Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:54 am

Thanks David, have signed and shared the link!

SimonH

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:07 pm

Interesting that Ben Stokes has come out and also said he's opposed to any reduction in FC cricket

https://twitter.com/benstokes38/status/1554888153609256962?s=20&t=fPqhLX_ZISeUGLLOmpK9kg

Quite nice to see him not tow the ECB line

Alex!

Jackers, SimonH, offdrive4 and Pink Panther like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:17 am

My Facebook feed reminded me that just six years ago I was at Lord's in the first week of August watching an absorbing championship match.
Our team was Burns, Sibley, Ansari, Finch, Roy, Davies, Foakes, Sam Curran, Tom Curran, Batty, Meaker.

Both Currans,  two front-line spinners, four or five who either subsequent turned their back on red-ball cricket or (Ansari and Meaker) walked away from the game entirely.

Yesterday? Instead of this absorbing four-day feast between the two traditional local rivals,  a forgettable three-hour slog between the Norf London Nobodies and the Oval Invisibles.

Six years was all it took, and the reminder of better days is reason enough to fight against any further attempt to diminish county cricket.
Jackers
Jackers

SimonH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:30 am

So memorable you had to be reminded about it by Facebook 🤔

The issue is, it was forgettable for you but it wasn’t for my 6 yr old and his mate who had a fantastic time and have already been in the garden this morning practising cricket over football for the first time ever.

I don’t say this as somebody who is in favour of the Hundred, but being there last night I can see the appeal of a competition that runs on a one game a night basis. Whatever cricket exists in the future I want both my kids to love it like I do - so I’m trying to take a more balanced view with that in mind. That said, I don’t see why this couldn’t have been done by creating a ‘premier league’ involving the 18 counties.

You can all clutch at straws around sell outs vs bums on seats etc, the ground was more than full enough and we got to sit in the OCS balcony which has been out of bounds to Surrey members for a while now. I make it the best view in the ground. I also believe there is a lot more that Surrey could do to make the Blast more attractive to families by reducing the ticket price and opening up more family zones like they do for the Hundred. Surrey want the money the Blast brings in from beer sales and hospitality and that’s just not compatible with the above.

Surrey are no different to the ECB in many respects when it comes to preserving the bottom line.

Cee Gee

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:48 am

Cee Gee wrote:So memorable you had to be reminded about it by Facebook 🤔

The issue is, it was forgettable for you but it wasn’t for my 6 yr old and his mate who had a fantastic time and have already been in the garden this morning practising cricket over football for the first time ever.

I don’t say this as somebody who is in favour of the Hundred, but being there last night I can see the appeal of a competition that runs on a one game a night basis. Whatever cricket exists in the future I want both my kids to love it like I do - so I’m trying to take a more balanced view with that in mind. That said, I don’t see why this couldn’t have been done by creating a ‘premier league’ involving the 18 counties.

You can all clutch at straws around sell outs vs bums on seats etc, the ground was more than full enough and we got to sit in the OCS balcony which has been out of bounds to Surrey members for a while now. I make it the best view in the ground. I also believe there is a lot more that Surrey could do to make the Blast more attractive to families by reducing the ticket price and opening up more family zones like they do for the Hundred. Surrey want the money the Blast brings in from beer sales and hospitality and that’s just not compatible with the above.

Surrey are no different to the ECB in many respects when it comes to preserving the bottom line.

The first comment is frankly daft: of course I'd recall the match without Facebook (I remember in particular what a good century Jason Roy made, which underlines that he could have become a fine middle-order player in the longer format). I am confident that many others on here can recall highlights of matches they have attended over the years. It was the anniversary that Facebook jogged my memory about, which it does for all sorts of important stuff like family weddings, holidays etc.  

I am pleased that your 6-year-old enjoyed his evening, but as you have acknowledged he could and would have enjoyed seeing a Surrey v Middlesex short-form game just as much, whether played over 20 overs or 100 balls: one of the key reasons for the Hundred was to reduce the time taken: the game last night finished just before 9.30 pm, which is precisely when a 20-over game which went the distance would finish.

You make some valid points about how Surrey could improve the T20 Blast experience. Ticket prices are a touch too high now. There is a family zone, and I am sure Surrey would extend it to encourage younger supporters. You will know better than me, but I am not under the impression that there is any shortage of beer drunk at The Hundred. There may be some more kids there, but that is mainly as a result of the cheap ticket prices and the games being played during the school holidays. This could be achieved by the county competition without driving a coach and horses through the county game. It is a price which does not need to be paid, and it must not be.
Jackers
Jackers

SimonH, Jason and Chinaman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:42 pm

Kids always generally enjoy something new and a bit different, whether it be the latest streaming online game, getting in to women's football or indeed the 100. Nothing wrong with this but I equate much of this "now the women have won the footie or some player has just belted 6 balls into the stand, so I've got to do it" with the January fitness rush. i.e. Gym membership rockets in January but by mid February the greater majority realise it ain't that easy and leave. These are adults, but it's just as fickle. Of course some will stick but I have my doubts that "getting young people into cricket" via the 100 is, well, a very good way to do it. And even if you do, in the case of cricket, the ECB has drastically cut its funding into small clubs making trying to find a good one not easy. Aside from that look at the competition from every which way but loose to entice you into something "new". But CeeGee I do hope your 6 year old sticks with it.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:49 pm

Check out the latest Cricket Supporters Association survey. Have your say on the ECB!

Chinaman

SimonH and David W like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down