Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anything But Cricket

+8
War On Woke
SimonH
Alex!
VicNorth
Wedmore Wanderer
adelaide
Chinaman
Jackers
12 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Anything But Cricket Empty Anything But Cricket

Post by Jackers Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:51 pm

As Harry Hill used to say...."there's only one way to find out!" #cancelcancelculture

Last edited by Jackers on Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Anything But Cricket Empty Re: Anything But Cricket

Post by VicNorth Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:09 pm

* Except when it's cancelling something you don't want to hear.

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:31 pm

VicNorth wrote:* Except when it's cancelling something you don't want to hear.

Like the crap that you put out maybe?

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:42 pm

It'"s quite simple. As individuals, we hold a broad range of views, and it's healthy that there is a platform to express them.

But by the same token, the last thing Surrey as a club to which we are each individually members should be doing is to deviate from communicating on cricket and straying into divisive "identity politics ", promoting pet causes and hobby-horses above others. It's a similar principle to the BBC, really.
Jackers
Jackers

Chinaman and Sir Winston Churchill like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:52 pm

Yes well I'm finished with it. Probably wasn't a good idea to start it in the first place, yep I know I started the thread, but it was with the right intentions. Unfortunately it's gone bad. Rather reflects the state of the country don't you think.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:19 pm

It's healthy that there is a platform apart from when it isn't. Quite simple.

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:09 am

Talking of cancelling....

Brixton Academy reopens its doors again tonight after losing its licence for last 15 months.

I listened to most of the hearing and the conditions that they needed to reopen, and in my opinion is they are just polishing a huge steaming turd of a problem.

Not planning on having any club nights or African or K-pop acts until the new year and just booking dull middle aged white rock bands and uninspiring pop acts - so basically kicking the problem 9 months down the road.

Sad to say the management is all the same and not learnt a thing, all the changes are seen as an imposition, not an oportunity to improve the venue. The security firm (APS) lost their contract but the new firm (Showsec) have just re-employed all the old staff!

I'd imagine not a big issue to most Surrey CCC members but like the Oval an iconic venue in South London, and to be honest there aren't that many around anymore, as every fromer theatre or cinema is seemingly a Wetherspoons or a block of flats now.
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonH Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:09 am

As a local, I'm pleased to see Brixton Academy reopening. Guess they could remodel the entrance, change procedures, etc. But there's only so much they can do when (allegedly) people without tickets are determined to crash the venue, and (allegedly) security guards are taking backhanders to let people without tickers into the venue.

And presumably they are happy to reopen "just booking dull middle aged white rock bands and uninspiring pop acts" because those sorts of fans are a bit less likely to try & fight their way into a venue etc, vs sort of people they are looking to identify after the crush disaster https://news.met.police.uk/news/images-of-13-people-released-as-part-of-investigation-into-brixton-crush-476903

SimonH

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:44 am

Chinaman wrote:Yes well I'm finished with it. Probably wasn't a good idea to start it in the first place, yep I know I started the thread, but it was with the right intentions. Unfortunately it's gone bad. Rather reflects the state of the country don't you think.

Chinaman - iIRC the intention was to shift general stuff about "the state of the country" away from cricket threads, so it could more easily be swerved. If its demise means that stuff will return to the cricket threads that's not great, so let's hope the legions of the anti-woke (always the initiators) avoid that. I hadn't noticed the thread becoming particularly toxic in recent days to be honest.

I'm not sure what your response "Whatever you say" to me was intended to convey. If for some reason you doubt what I say, feel free to confirm with the mods that I have not been in touch with them about that or any other thread.

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:22 pm

Has anyone been to Horsemeat Disco?

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:08 pm

adelaide wrote:
Chinaman wrote:Yes well I'm finished with it. Probably wasn't a good idea to start it in the first place, yep I know I started the thread, but it was with the right intentions. Unfortunately it's gone bad. Rather reflects the state of the country don't you think.

Chinaman - iIRC the intention was to shift general stuff about "the state of the country" away from cricket threads, so it could more easily be swerved. If its demise means that stuff will return to the cricket threads that's not great, so let's hope the legions of the anti-woke (always the initiators) avoid that. I hadn't noticed the thread becoming particularly toxic in recent days to be honest.

I'm not sure what your response "Whatever you say" to me was intended to convey. If for some reason you doubt what I say, feel free to confirm with the mods that I have not been in touch with them about that or any other thread.

Firstly, and I should probably know, but what is ilRC?
Secondly "whatever you say" is a yawn of boredom.
And lastly I really don't know what your on about.
I've said already that I've done with this non cricket stuff, and I mean it.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:34 pm

Chinaman wrote:
adelaide wrote:

Firstly, and I should probably know, but what is ilRC?
Secondly "whatever you say" is a yawn of boredom.
And lastly I really don't know what your on about.
I've said already that I've done with this non cricket stuff, and I mean it.

IIRC - if I recall correctly.

Goodness knows what is unclear about my post. Any more than your post to which I was responding. I'm still intrigued as to how the thread has gone bad (apart from not everyone agreeing with you!) though perhaps Vic's recent contributions hold a clue.

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:22 pm

Why not say if I recall correctly? Anti woke the initiators? Blimey that's a good one.
But look with respect, for the final time I'm finished with this stuff. End of.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:57 pm

Chinaman wrote:Why not say if I recall correctly? Anti woke the initiators? Blimey that's a good one.
But look with respect, for the final time I'm finished with this stuff. End of.

Quicker to type and (almost) universally understood IMHO FWIW.

Just for the record, if you can find any instance on nay thread where the series of posts has been initiated by someone expressing support for some "woke" initiative I would be very surprised. I understand that you are often reacting to something initiated by someone "woke" in the real world but I was referring strictly to this site.

Any more swims coming up BTW? If I did it it would be a sponsored drowning. Which might attract good money, come to think of it.

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:18 pm

Afraid I don't use these abbreviations. Why not just write it?
Yes I'm doing a 2 mile sponsored swim for SE London MIND in August. Hoping to raise £1000. There is a thread with a link to my Just Giving page.
I used to be a lifeguard so I'd be happy to save you should you wish to get involved!

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:57 pm

Chinaman wrote:Afraid I don't use these abbreviations. Why not just write it?
Yes I'm doing a 2 mile sponsored swim for SE London MIND in August. Hoping to raise £1000. There is a thread with a link to my Just Giving page.
I used to be a lifeguard so I'd be happy to save you should you wish to get involved!

Thought I had you but apparently MIND isn't an abbreviation

But then again - SE London...

Someone once told me they objected to TLAs. Eventually I asked - Three Letter Acronyms.

I was fished out of the Canal du Midi once. To be honest I was more worried about the proximity of the boat's propeller and what I might swallow (dead sheep seen in the water the day before) than drowning.

With modern tech I would probably have been watching live cricket on that holiday while steering the boat. Great! And then getting an urgent email from work. Not so great.

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:16 pm

VAR is terrible.

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:40 pm

adelaide wrote:
Chinaman wrote:Afraid I don't use these abbreviations. Why not just write it?

Thought I had you but apparently MIND isn't an abbreviation

But then again - SE London...

Someone once told me they objected to TLAs. Eventually I asked - Three Letter Acronyms.

I was fished out of the Canal du Midi once. To be honest I was more worried about the proximity of the boat's propeller and what I might swallow (dead sheep seen in the water the day before) than drowning.

With modern tech I would probably have been watching live cricket on that holiday while steering the boat. Great! And then getting an urgent email from work. Not so great.

Everybody knows what SE means in relation to an area. Never heard of TLA's. But come on its another system of today's "instant society" ,the McDonald's generation.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:43 pm

RFM is the order of the day.

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:10 pm

I agree with Adelaide and Chinaman that the episode which involved a Surrey member caught taking Somerset players' jumpers was not the place to highlight the dreadful two-tier approach to policing London. But this is just the spot.

The latest episode of a man being threatened with arrest because he wanted to walk freely past a pro-palestine march while being "quite openly jewish" is, quite frankly. indefensible. It is by no means a one-off: there have been countless examples of anti-semitic chants and banners to which police have turned a blind eye, slogans which (rightly or wrongly) are widely interpreted by jewish people as calling for the eradication of the state of Israel projected onto Big Ben with impunity. It brings shame to the Met Police, and reinforces the impression of two-tier policing and no-go areas in Sadiq Khan's London (as Lee Anderson and Sutton MP Paul Scully have alleged).

Mark Rowley's job is now untenable. We need a police chief who will restore confidence in the integrity of the police force to enforce the law across the capital without fear or favour.
Jackers
Jackers

Chinaman, Sir Winston Churchill and Steve like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:02 pm

I think after Cressida Dick we needed a period of exactly that - restoring confidence in the integrity of the police force, but I think we have a government and mayor of London who won't do their jobs and stop meddling in things, everything is political now, and its all about points scoring not doing a good job.

At this point we probably need to totally reform the institution (Metropolitan Police)

Personally i think Mark Rowley has needed support and he's not got it, we have a Conservative government who has failed totally, and i find it unfathomable that you can realistically say the next Labour Prime Minister Kier Starmer is better qualified to sort things in his fomer DPP role, and a much safer pair of hands than anyone on the Tory benches currently.

We need some adults in charge who will see this as a long term job and that is crutial for making Britain a better place to live in.
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Jackers likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedmore Wanderer Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:40 pm

No to beige . Captain Hindsight would be a disaster for this country ,  already on its knees , even worse than Blair was . He’s no better than Sunak.

Wedmore Wanderer

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:46 pm

5 years of dull boring biege might just be what this country needs politically now.
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:58 pm

If all these 'not far-right' whoppers actually lived in London they could vote to get Khan out?

VicNorth

RightArmSlow likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:19 pm

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next