Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cashless ... or witless?

+7
RB
Badges
guildfordbat
Owen B
Olympian2
Chinaman
adelaide
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Cashless ... or witless? Empty Cashless ... or witless?

Post by adelaide Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:09 am

I seem to remember reading on here that The Oval has gone cashless. It appears that Lord's is either going or has already gone cashless. However, the suggestion seems to be that you will not be able to pay (cashless) at the gate and thus you have to book online in advance. Maybe five minutes in advance - but in advance. This seems like a good way of losing both present and future custom (I bet many of us started by rolling up at the ground on a nice day).

My question is - can you pay with a card on the gate at The Oval?

As an aside, going cashless etc. is MCC's doing, not MCCC's! All the gate money at Lord's goes to the landlords, in exchange for some sort of fixed fee.

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Cashless ... or witless? Empty Re: Cashless ... or witless?

Post by Chinaman Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:17 am

Apparently you can buy a ticket at Lords, but you have to be taken through to the MCCC's, I think, office to do so. Otherwise it's all on line, which is most inconvenient for those not tech savvy, who are not on line or don't have a smart phone. Certainly a big % of County Championship viewers don't.
As for the Oval I don't know. Maybe you can pay by card at the office?
You know there needs  to be a choice of tech or no tech for people. Society is  trying to jump before walking. In 30 years when all the oldies are gone it won't matter, but it's an issue right now.

Chinaman

Pink Panther likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:38 am

Chinaman wrote:Apparently you can buy a ticket at Lords, but you have to be taken through to the MCCC's, I think, office to do so. Otherwise it's all on line, which is most inconvenient for those not tech savvy, who are not on line or don't have a smart phone. Certainly a big % of County Championship viewers don't.
As for the Oval I don't know. Maybe you can pay by card at the office?
You know there needs  to be a choice of tech or no tech for people. Society is  trying to jump before walking. In 30 years when all the oldies are gone it won't matter, but it's an issue right now.

Thanks, Chinaman. The impression I am getting is that the option to go to an office to do so will no longer be there. I'm hoping that is a misunderstanding. A couple of Macdonalds type touchscreen machines would also do the job, though I suppose you might end up with a triple burger with extra bacon (or - even worse - a Hundred ticket) by mistake. Then you could at least buy with a card.

What I'm hoping to get is ammunition based on what the other big ground in London does. It's not an issue for me as a member at Lord's but it could be for Surrey supporters turning up on the day. Ive got horribly used to cashless (and contactless) since Covid but I agree the less techie (and some oldies are very techie) still need to be catered for.

Now if you really ant some old tech, I found some ancient travellers' cheques the other week, back from the days when you had to use them to get cash out on holiday. I did manage to cash them in a local bank, though it took a little time while they worked out what to do with the museum piece in front of them (and the travellers' cheques). Worth a lot less than when I acquired them, of course. Now, where's that bag o farthings?...

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Olympian2 Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:23 am

Chinaman wrote:Otherwise it's all on line, which is most inconvenient for those not tech savvy, who are not on line or don't have a smart phone. Certainly a big % of County Championship viewers don't.

A big % of CC viewers don’t have a smartphone? On what is this claim based? What’s ‘a big %’?
Olympian2
Olympian2

Back to top Go down

Post by Owen B Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:31 am

Lord's does not have a ticket office open to buy on the day tickets, but you can effectively stand outside at 10:55 and purchase an online ticket on your phone. However, important point made about some people not being tech savvy.

There is a ticket office open at The Oval on matchdays for purchase of tickets for the day, although I think it may be credit/debit card-only now.

Although, I wouldn't be surprised if Surrey followed Middlesex's lead by going online-only.

Last edited by Owen B on Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : minor edit)
Owen B
Owen B

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Owen B Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:52 am

Important to say, I do agree with the premise of the original post. I go to Lord's fairly often, and it does feel much less spontaneous, usually having to fire up the laptop the day before to buy tickets, etc. I'd rather open the curtains on the morning and decide whether to go based on the weather, the state of the trains and how I happen to feel on the day!

So, would agree, it does discourage walk ups and therefore reduce revenues, which is ironic as presumably it's a cost cutting measure.
Owen B
Owen B

dougieginn, Jason, The Heathen and Pink Panther like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:43 am

Olympian2 wrote:
Chinaman wrote:Otherwise it's all on line, which is most inconvenient for those not tech savvy, who are not on line or don't have a smart phone. Certainly a big % of County Championship viewers don't.

A big % of CC viewers don’t have a smartphone? On what is this claim based? What’s ‘a big %’?

Plenty of people I know do not do internet or smartphones. You have to give an alternative.

Chinaman

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:39 am

Owen B wrote:Lord's does not have a ticket office open to buy on the day tickets, but you can effectively stand outside at 10:55 and purchase an online ticket on your phone. However, important point made about some people not being tech savvy.

There is a ticket office open at The Oval on matchdays for purchase of tickets for the day, although I think it may be credit/debit card-only now.

Although, I wouldn't be surprised if Surrey followed Middlesex's lead by going online-only.

Thanks for replies, everyone. A minor point - it's MCC's lead (and potential revenue loss), not Middlesex's! I've seen no suggestion (yet) that you won't be able to roll up on the day at Radlett or Merchant Taylors, though for T20 or Radlett you might find it sold out when you get there.

I suppose we could have a supporters' mutual aid thing for someone who turns up with no advance ticket and no smartphone. You find a supporter with a smart phone, they buy the ticket and get you in, you give them the cash.

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Olympian2 Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:56 pm

Chinaman wrote:Plenty of people I know do not do internet or smartphones. You have to give an alternative.

Yes, I agree - there should be an alternative. Some Premier League clubs & events like Wimbledon are doing their best to alienate folks who do not have, or who are uncomfortable using, digital capabilities. In my opinion, it's a really poor practice.

My post was simply asking for you to a) comment on the basis of your claim; you've clarified that it's 'people you know' & b) quantify what you felt 'a big %' was. You haven't yet specified.
Olympian2
Olympian2

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:59 pm

How am I supposed to give a %? I've no idea, just that based on people I know it's probably likely quite a few.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:22 pm

I asked the Middlesex office about this. Their responses in italics. Cash not yet dead but let's hope the staff on the day know where to send people who haven't booked in advance. Having to register in order to buy a ticket in advance seems like an own goal to me but it's MCC's website so their decision.

Q1. The word seems to be that Lord’s will become entirely cashless for all matches. Can you confirm that?   I believe Lord’s would prefer card payment and pre purchased online tickets however there is the option of going to the ticket office on the day and purchasing a ticket there for cash. At some games this will be available on the gate but this information will be provided closer to the time

Q2. If so, will it still be possible to obtain entry to a MCCC match at Lord’s on the gate using a debit or credit card?  You would be directed to the ticket office who would be able to take a card payment on the day

Q3. If not, will it be necessary to purchase a ticket in advance online?  This is preferred but there will be options for those who cannot.

Q5. Will it be necessary to register online with Lord’s in order to buy any online tickets?  Yes

Q6. Will it also be possible to buy a ticket in advance over the telephone? If so from whom? Yes you can from the Lord’s ticket office on this telephone number 0207 4321000

There was a Q4 (so not like Monty Python's Rule Six) but the other answers rendered it irrelevant.

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:24 pm

adelaide wrote:I asked the Middlesex office about this. Their responses in italics. Cash not yet dead but let's hope the staff on the day know where to send people who haven't booked in advance. Having to register in order to buy a ticket in advance seems like an own goal to me but it's MCC's website so their decision.

Q1. The word seems to be that Lord’s will become entirely cashless for all matches. Can you confirm that?   I believe Lord’s would prefer card payment and pre purchased online tickets however there is the option of going to the ticket office on the day and purchasing a ticket there for cash. At some games this will be available on the gate but this information will be provided closer to the time

Q2. If so, will it still be possible to obtain entry to a MCCC match at Lord’s on the gate using a debit or credit card?  You would be directed to the ticket office who would be able to take a card payment on the day

Q3. If not, will it be necessary to purchase a ticket in advance online?  This is preferred but there will be options for those who cannot.

Q5. Will it be necessary to register online with Lord’s in order to buy any online tickets?  Yes

Q6. Will it also be possible to buy a ticket in advance over the telephone? If so from whom? Yes you can from the Lord’s ticket office on this telephone number 0207 4321000

There was a Q4 (so not like Monty Python's Rule Six) but the other answers rendered it irrelevant.

Why do we have to have Middlesex and Lord's pushed down our throats by you on a Surrey site?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:46 pm

GB

My apologies, I really shouldn't have been trying to be helpful. Far better to leave anyone on here who fancies going to Lord's for a Middlesex-Surrey match guessing as to whether they could actually get in on the day.

If we can just get away from prickliness, I think there is a genuine problem for away supporters (in particular) knowing what the arrangements are at the various grounds. If you only cater for .those who are already likely to know, you are going to miss out on income from those supporters and for those who might otherwise contemplate going for the first time. Surrey might not need the money that much but everyone else does!

adelaide

Ali888 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:06 pm

Point taken but for an away game all anyone has to do is go on the Counties web site or phone to find prices and ways to pay. It's really quite simple. The pain in the bum period was during the pandemic, and having to order only online, which is covered elsewhere here. Bar Lords and to some extent Surrey, there are choices just about everywhere else thankfully at present. As for Lords I don't like the place so for me it's not a problem as unlike all other grounds, I won't be there anyway.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:45 pm

Well, yes, it ought to be that easy. But if it were, there wouldn't have been people saying "it's all gone cashless in advance, isn't that terrible?". I'm just the one who contacted the office rather than just moaning about it, though I admit moaning is probably more fun. It doesn't affect me personally either BTW as a member. I just wasn't keen on anything which put the next generation off trying cricket.

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:27 pm

I bought tickets last season on at least three occasions the day before and couldn't go  for various reasons .To be fair they are good at changing them in these circumstances.

I think the problem is they tell you to allow two hours for your ticket to come through.It usually only takes a few minutes but the two hour comment makes you think you need to buy the day before.

I've been a member there in past seasons when there was more Cricket at Lord's,the main outgrounds are too far for me.I also used to buy the "old people's pass" which was 100 quid before they stopped doing it,that was for all CC and 50 over games at Lord's.

I've bought a Kent membership this year "as the crow flies" which was only 158 and will just about be worthwhile.I'd gladly do the same for Middlesex but unless i'm mistaken they want 300 - and i'm 70 during the next season.

I'm more than capable online but like to use cash whenever possible!

Badges

Chinaman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:34 pm

adelaide wrote:I just wasn't keen on anything which put the next generation off trying cricket.

Speaking as a young fogie, I have not used cash for a long time now. There are plenty of things that could prevent the "next generation" from enjoying cricket, but cashlessness is not one of them.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:41 pm

RB wrote:
adelaide wrote:I just wasn't keen on anything which put the next generation off trying cricket.

Speaking as a young fogie, I have not used cash for a long time now. There are plenty of things that could prevent the "next generation" from enjoying cricket, but cashlessness is not one of them.

RB - Cashless, agreed. Getting to the ground and finding you can't get in despite thousands of empty seats, that would be another matter.

Mind you, we oldies will be laughing at you when the internet is down for a week...

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:03 pm

It's great at The Oval when you pop your head in the tea room door and see only one person in front of you.I then stand behind that person with the right money in my hand to buy a cup of tea and get back to watching the game.

Usually that person will ask 27 questions starting with "Can i get" before finally  deciding  on what type of coffee they want.Next they will hunt for their credit card.When they give it to the cashier it will then not work.In the same vein your membership card needs to be swiped 4/5/6 times when you enter the ground meaning that if you are,say 5th in the queue you are really 20th.

Badges

dougieginn, Jason and Chinaman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Howzat Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:28 pm

Badges - Its not 1952 anymore get over it!

Whether you see it or not you are a minority, the vast majority of the membership and the public at large work this way. They're not going to change so its down to you to make an effort.

Howzat

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:39 pm

Howzat wrote:Badges - Its not 1952 anymore get over it!

Whether you see it or not you are a minority, the vast majority of the membership and the public at large work this way. They're not going to change so its down to you to make an effort.

I'd dispute that the vast majority of public work that way. Cash is King up north for example, where they actively ask you for cash rather than card because struggling businesses can't afford the % paid to the card companies. Small self employed tradesmen will give you a discount for cash almost every time because they avoid the dreaded VAT. At Scarborough last year the crowd swept through the old fashioned turnstiles, one for cash, one for card, one for ticket holders, one for members. And for cash you got issued with a 1960s style bus conductors ticket! What a bonus for your £12 entry. Now...where's my cheque book?

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:41 pm

Chinaman wrote:Small self employed tradesmen will give you a discount for cash almost every time because they avoid the dreaded VAT.

A friend of ours was having some work done.

Builder: I can do it for less for cash

Friend: Oh yes, how' that

Builder: No VAT, you see

Friend: Did I tell you that I am the VAT officer for Bromley? (*)

Said friend actually let the builder off with a warning but I wouldn't have liked to have done the builder's laundry from that day.

One place where cashless works better than I thought it would is on the buses. Remember how long it would take to board a dozen people when most were paying cash? In the last days of cash one cash-paying passenger could take as long as ten Oyster/contactless users. I'd like to bet that even up north most bus users pay contactless, especially if it brings a discount. `

(*) Changed from Enfield to avoid upsetting GB!

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:49 pm

About 10 years ago David Gauke said cash in hand was “morally wrong” for the above tax avoiding reasons!

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:52 pm

It also undercuts businesses which are paying VAT. Fair chance also that if they are dodging VAT they're not declaring it for income tax either. All of which means the rest of us pay more!

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:07 am

adelaide wrote:
Chinaman wrote:Small self employed tradesmen will give you a discount for cash almost every time because they avoid the dreaded VAT.

A friend of ours was having some work done.

Builder: I can do it for less for cash

Friend: Oh yes, how' that

Builder: No VAT, you see

Friend: Did I tell you that I am the VAT officer for Bromley? (*)

Said friend actually let the builder off with a warning but I wouldn't have liked to have done the builder's laundry from that day.

One place where cashless works better than I thought it would is on the buses. Remember how long it would take to board a dozen people when most were paying cash? In the last days of cash one cash-paying passenger could take as long as ten Oyster/contactless users. I'd like to bet that even up north most bus users pay contactless, especially if it brings a discount. `

(*) Changed from Enfield to avoid upsetting GB!

No upset but you have already told that story on this forum.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum