Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cashless ... or witless?

+7
RB
Badges
guildfordbat
Owen B
Olympian2
Chinaman
adelaide
11 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Cashless ... or witless? - Page 3 Empty Re: Cashless ... or witless?

Post by guildfordbat Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:24 am

Badges wrote:TAKE IT PRIVATE CHAPS FFS.

Sound advice from Badges although unfortunately not taken for long.

Not surprising that the MTWD moderator is threatening to quit telling Adelaide and others that ''a number of the posts are off topic ... and many tedious''.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:51 am

Chinaman wrote:Yes and my point was you can't isolate yourself completely from the modern world whether you believe in conspiracy theories or not, and indeed what is "safe" or isn't.
Today's conspiracy theory: statue of Elvis found on Mars

Nobody is arguing for isolation; it's the jump to "everybody must, for everything" that I have issues with.

In deference to GB and Badges, that's my lot on this thread. MTWD has far bigger (and quite likely fatal) issues than off topic posts at the moment BTW.

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:32 pm

Not quite off topic, just a continuation of the cashless grounds issue.
Actually I don't really see a problem with discussions around points maybe a bit off topic on here , I mean sometimes there are no cricket posts for days on end. If you don't like it, well don't read it.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:48 pm

Chinaman wrote:Yes and my point was you can't isolate yourself completely from the modern world whether you believe in conspiracy theories or not, and indeed what is "safe" or isn't.
Today's conspiracy theory: statue of Elvis found on Mars

I think I saw Diana in Five Guys earlier.

My dad (Middx supporter) tells me Middx won’t take on the gate tickets at all now, nor free entries after tea.

Paid-up Surrey members will know the fuss around guest vouchers (and they’re doubling down for 2023) so this is clearly where they wan to go.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:40 am

[quote="RB"]
Chinaman wrote:
My dad (Middx supporter) tells me Middx won’t take on the gate tickets at all now, nor free entries after tea.

I emailed the Middlesex office and the reply assured me that "there is the option of going to the ticket office on the day and purchasing a ticket there for cash. At some games this will be available on the gate but this information will be provided closer to the time " and that the ticket office would be able to take a card payment on the day.

Whether that actually works in practice is another matter, as it will be MCC staff dealing with the ticketless horde! The whole thing is outside Middlesex's control.

(Puts tin hat on to avoid incoming from GB!)

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:13 am

"Put on my cricket shoes
And I boarded the train
Got out in the land of no ticket blues
In the middle of the pouring rain
W.G. Grace
Won't you look down over me
I got no first class ticket
And I'm as blue as a Surrey boy can be
Now I'm walking to Lords
With just a handful of cash
Walking to Lords
Hope they've got pie and mash

Saw the ghost of Grace in St. Johns Wood Road
Followed him up to the gates of Lords
Then I watched him walk right through
Now the MCC did not see him
They wanted a card payment in advance
And Middlesex CCC never stood a chance
Now he's walking in Lords
With his feet off the ground
Walking in Lords
And he never made a sound."

Thanks to Marc Cohn and Cher.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:57 am

adelaide wrote: ...

In deference to GB and Badges, that's my lot on this thread. ...

If only.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:26 am

guildfordbat wrote:

If only.

Am I allowed to say "brilliant" to Chinaman on his lyrics without first humbly begging your permission?

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:21 am

adelaide wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:

If only.

Am I allowed to say "brilliant" to Chinaman on his lyrics without first humbly begging your permission?

Thanks. Maybe I should put out this version on a single? Cash only of course!

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:33 pm

adelaide wrote:
RB wrote:

I emailed the Middlesex office and the reply assured me that "there is the option of going to the ticket office on the day and purchasing a ticket there for cash. At some games this will be available on the gate but this information will be provided closer to the time " and that the ticket office would be able to take a card payment on the day.

Whether that actually works in practice is another matter, as it will be MCC staff dealing with the ticketless horde! The whole thing is outside Middlesex's control.

(Puts tin hat on to avoid incoming from GB!)

Adelaide I think you may need to have another word with Middlesex, as their website says the following:

There will be an ability to purchase ‘walk-up’ tickets on the day. These will be available via the North Gate ticket office until 2pm on match days. Lord’s is a cashless ground, so UK credit or debit cards only will be accepted as payment. Please note, any tickets purchased on the day from the ticket office, and not on-line will NOT BE ELIGIBLE FOR REFUND, under any circumstances.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:27 pm

Well I hope that's true, as last year as far as I am told, buying a ticket, with card, cash, runes or anything else wasn't an option. Maybe they've had a rethink.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:29 pm

Bitcoin?

RB

Chinaman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:03 pm

RB wrote:Bitcoin?

Well being Lords probably. I'm sure they'd rather keep us lot out of their precious ground anyway.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:09 pm

RB wrote:
Adelaide I think you may need to have another word with Middlesex, as their website says the following:

There will be an ability to purchase ‘walk-up’ tickets on the day. These will be available via the North Gate ticket office until 2pm on match days. Lord’s is a cashless ground, so UK credit or debit cards only will be accepted as payment. Please note, any tickets purchased on the day from the ticket office, and not on-line will NOT BE ELIGIBLE FOR REFUND, under any circumstances.

Thanks for pointing out the inconsistency, RB. I checked and the website is right - notes and coin of the realm not accepted. Maybe "cash" was not meant that literally in the earlier reply but that would be strange as literal cash was part of what I originally asked about. Maybe they hadn't read their own website. Unfortunately I cannot update on MTWD as it is no more. Of course Middlesex CCC is also cashless - in the sense that it's barely got any money in any form!

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:33 pm

A question................

If i offer the right money in cash at The Oval,Lord's or anywhere else for that matter,are they at liberty to refuse to take it?

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:12 pm

Badges wrote:A question................

If i offer the right money in cash at The Oval,Lord's or anywhere else for that matter,are they at liberty to refuse to take it?

If London Buses can do it, it must surely be legal.

According to Martin Lewis, it is legal to say "card only" unless it can be shown to be discriminatory against the disabled, racial groups (and presumably women ort other specified groups). Discriminatory against my fellow wrinklies? Hard to prove, I guess. Lewis continues...

"Legal tender has a strict definition. It means if you have a court awarded debt against you if someone tries to settle and they're paying in the legal tender you cannot refuse it. And that's all it means."

adelaide

Chinaman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:53 pm

It could be regarded as discriminating against older people, like most of us on here. I always thought that legally no one, whether the courts or Lords, can refuse to accept the Kings currency in any form and that includes cheques.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:13 am

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:34 am

It seems to me that by providing no cash option for entry counties are discouraging older people from coming along. This is inexcusable. They should of course be looking for ways to make the product accessible and attractive to the next generation, but there is no need to alienate some of what they know to be a big chunk of their existing audience in the process.
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum