Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3rd Test Headingley 6th July

+11
offdrive4
VicNorth
Missing Leg
Alex!
Coatesy
dougieginn
Jackers
RB
guildfordbat
Badges
Chinaman
15 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

3rd Test Headingley 6th July - Page 3 Empty Re: 3rd Test Headingley 6th July

Post by Alex! Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:17 pm

I'm glad England won, but they really, really, really need to take Bairstow out for Foakes if they're serious about winning the series

Alex!

dougieginn and Sir Winston Churchill like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:55 pm

Much as I hope they don't, I think they will continue with Bairstow.

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:15 pm

How can you play someone who constantly underperforms .It’s hard enough to compete with Australia with 11 men, let alone ten.As I said before,the runs this “keeper” has cost us,far outweighs by runs he has scored!!

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:38 pm

It would be an admission that they got it wrong?

VicNorth

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:33 pm

dougieginn wrote:How can you play someone who constantly underperforms .It’s hard enough to compete with Australia with 11 men, let alone ten.As I said before,the runs this “keeper” has cost us,far outweighs by runs he has scored!!

The question, I suppose, is whether they think the runs he would cost in the next two Tests would be outweighed by the runs he would score. We know he is capable of being a highly destructive batsman who gets into runs of form. I think the Aussies have his number, which means I wouldn't pick him as a pure batsman or a batsman/keeper right now. But what do I know? I would not have picked Woakes! I wouldn't pick Robinson either as he always seems to be breaking down and hasn't got the shock value of a Wood to make the risk worthwhile.

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:13 am

As neither side bar Stokes and Head and later Brook actually scored many runs the difference here was Wood's shock value as Adelaide says above. No one however good they are likes 90mph plus bowling whatever they say. It was noticeable though that Wood's pace dropped after day 1. Australia also didn't have Lyon, but at least the series is still live.
I think they'll continue blindingly with Bairstow and Ali, but Jimmy? If they go with this attack change Robinson for Tongue who has more pace and less likely to break down.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:00 am

Here’s hoping the Test Wicket at Old Trafford is nothing like The 4 Day Pitch we played Lancashire at the Start of the Season.

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:17 am

I think Australia have issues with Back up Bowling unless Hazelwood finds some form.Lyon looks a massive miss. Hopefully a similar wicket to Headingley.

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:23 pm

Who plays then, for both sides?

Certainly I reckon England’s selection ought to be Woakes, Wood, Broad (if fit), and Tongue/Anderson, depending on Stokes.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:34 pm

I thought we might’ve seen the End of Jimmy after Lords.But if fit there’s must be temptation to play him at Old Trafford or wouldn’t it be one Test Match too many.?

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:04 pm

Think they'll swap Robinson for Anderson and that'll be it

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy1210 Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:03 am

Alex! wrote:Think they'll swap Robinson for Anderson and that'll be it

I'd imagine just this too. If Foakes was playing instead of Bairstow though I think we could well have been 3-0 up and sealed the ashes already. Bairstow's low scores and abysmal shots, plus dropped catches and missed stumping, simply don't warrant his place in the team. If you factor in Root's five dropped catches and lack of runs too since his hundred, it's fair to say England are having to take 13-14 wickets per innings and are batting a top order batsman short. With Foakes you're at least back to only having to create a solid 10-11 chances to get a side out, and a solid batsman who will settle things by spending some time at the crease.

With the exception of Broad, the senior players have seriously let Stokes down and not shown any leadership. Root in particular seems away with the fairies half the time judging by his straightforward drops and sloppy dismissals, particularly at Headingley. Given his incredible talent, he's only played one high class knock so far, and seems more intent on being a circus act with his first ball ramp shots for example. He's more likely to get himself out that make the opponents work hard to take his wicket. If he's not larking around having fun these days, he seems half committed and can't apply himself to get England out of a spot. I was always frustrated with him as captain and I think he lost the team long before the last trip to Oz. It cost Silverwood his job, but I do wonder if Silverwood would have been far more successful with Stokes as captain (or someone else).

Andy1210

Back to top Go down

Post by Coatesy Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:38 am

squad unchanged for 4th test

Coatesy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down