Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4th Test Old Trafford 19th July

+6
Angus French
Jhe10077
RB
MatthewC
Jackers
Chinaman
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

4th Test Old Trafford 19th July - Page 2 Empty Re: 4th Test Old Trafford 19th July

Post by Chinaman Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:05 pm

VicNorth wrote:Blame county cricket.

?.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

4th Test Old Trafford 19th July - Page 2 Empty Re: 4th Test Old Trafford 19th July

Post by VicNorth Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:26 pm

Chinaman wrote:
VicNorth wrote:Blame county cricket.

?.

For England not winning the Ashes? That's what normally happens?

VicNorth

Chinaman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:36 pm

Badges wrote:Has there ever been anyone who sprouts more complicated/mumbo jumbo/gobbledegook
than Mr Sangakkara?

What Sky commentators routinely call reverse swing is not true reverse swing.

Check out the work of Rabindra Mehta for proper definitions of reverse and contrast swing.

I've been trying to get Huw at The Cricketer onto this for a while now.

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewC Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:08 pm

I’ll be honest, I’m torn on the scheduling. While it seems ludicrous that the Ashes will be over by 1st August, it has been played at a time when it can dominate the sports headlines, with no competition from football (or even the rugby World Cup, which would have crossed over had the 2019 dates been replicated).

That said, I hope we get a saner schedule next time. We all know the days of tours lasting from early June to late August are gone, but the series should stretch over 8-9 weeks.

Given the controversy of no Tests in the north in 2027, I do wonder if a sixth Ashes Test will be mooted at any point. It would be a guaranteed sellout, and would merely be a return to how the series used to be. Any thoughts on that?

MatthewC

Jackers likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:08 pm

I think i've had enough of watching Test Cricket.A sad state of affairs as i've been watching since the Eng v West Indies series in 1963 and going since 1966.

There is far too much standing around talking and not enough action or tempo to games any more.A few years back they asked Ray Illingworth about the difference from when he played.His answer was "You can turn on your TV now and after 5 minutes you haven't seen a single ball bowled." I make him right.

An enquiry virtually every time a wicket falls,constant attempts to change the ball,a hold up when a batsman is hit on the helmet even if only a glancing blow,12th men on and off every five minutes,the daily sightscreen breakdown,loads of replays when a fielder stops it on the boundary rope,etc etc etc.Not to mention a host of commentators talking (mostly) bollocks non stop.

Enough is enough thankyou very much.Still,it was only 110 quid to get in last time i went to one at The Oval.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:58 am

England certainly the better of the 2 sides. The last test was similar to a county team playing a university team.England have made all the running and called all the tunes.

Jhe10077

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:04 pm

Jhe10077 wrote:England certainly the better of the 2 sides. The last test  was similar to a county team playing a university team.England have made all the running and called all the tunes.

There was i thinking we were 2-1 down. Surprised

Badges

MatthewC likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:35 pm

Badges wrote:I think i've had enough of watching Test Cricket.A sad state of affairs as i've been watching since the Eng v West Indies series in 1963 and going since 1966.

There is far too much standing around talking and not enough action or tempo to games any more.A few years back they asked Ray Illingworth about the difference from when he played.His answer was "You can turn on your TV now and after 5 minutes you haven't seen a single ball bowled." I make him right.

An enquiry virtually every time a wicket falls,constant attempts to change the ball,a hold up when a batsman is hit on the helmet even if only a glancing blow,12th men on and off every five minutes,the daily sightscreen breakdown,loads of replays when a fielder stops it on the boundary rope,etc etc etc.Not to mention a host of commentators talking (mostly) bollocks non stop.

Enough is enough thankyou very much.Still,it was only 110 quid to get in last time i went to one at The Oval.

I went to every Oval Test from 1981 until around 2014. In the 90s the then International Membership was £270ish. Quite a lot then, but you got in free for all matches, Test, ODI, Championship, Nat West, B&H and Sunday League. Then you had to pay a seat charge on top of that virtually doubling the amount. After a pants Test of 3 days against India in 2014 I think, I decided I could'nt be bothered with all the hastle and cost. Now I can afford a £100 a day but it just isn't good value. So when your done for 10 overs every day I'd ask for a £15 refund. I don't want to watch Bazball all day, exciting for an hour or two perhaps, then just a rather boring. Not Test cricket for me, just extended T20.
I agree with all Badges points, especially the endless time wasting which must be half an hour a day.
At the risk of upsetting the woke agenda, female commentators on TMS and TV were the last straw. I hardly listen to it, don't know how Agnew stands it. Time to retire.

Chinaman

Jackers and Badges like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:48 pm

Agree with the amount of women on TMS. I suppose it’s the times we are living in.

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:54 pm

In the 70's and 80's i'm pretty certain your Surrey membership got you into the Test Matches as well.

Badges

Jackers likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:56 pm

Jhe10077 wrote:Agree with the amount of women on TMS. I suppose it’s the times we are living in.

Good grief, they'll be asking for the vote next! Of those I have heard, some I like (Alison Mitchell is fine) and some I dislike. Just like male commentators really. Old style TMS was very clubbish (Johnston), then it became laddish (Tufnell). If female commentators could drag it away from both those extremes I'd be happy but from what I've heard they just join in with it.

On wated time, I was watching the stream when De Caires came on to bowl. OK, the helmets and fielder's shin pads were necessary. Then the protected fielder stood in the umpire's line of sight at short leg and the umpire slowly made his way to the other side of the wicket. Interminable discussions on the field placing. The whole thing took longer than the over itself. It was as if everything was happening in series rather than parallel. Then Middlesex wonder why their over rate is at the mercy of a crossbow.

adelaide

dougieginn, RB and offdrive4 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:57 am

Alison Mitchell is outstanding.

Jhe10077

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:37 am

Jhe10077 wrote:Alison Mitchell is outstanding.

Really? I don’t like her.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:05 pm

RB wrote:

To be fair, he could have meant outstandingly bad...

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:58 pm

adelaide wrote:
RB wrote:

To be fair, he could have meant outstandingly bad...

That would be going some.

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:45 pm

I hope Lee Fortis doesn’t produce a pitch like the Notts game,as Australia will score thousands of runs on it. Hope he produces a good wicket for Anderson’s last Test. It worries me that the club has announced that day 5 is dedicated to the Alzheimer’s Day.l hope they don’t try to prolong the match so it lasts to day 5.

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2