Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey v Essex 19-22 July the Oval

+20
Benmug
Jedrich
Barneyb64
blueboy26
Coatesy
RB
Admin
RightArmSlow
Cee Gee
Pink Panther
Badges
guildfordbat
Alex!
dougieginn
adelaide
Keith Powell
Chinaman
Jackers
offdrive4
Steve
24 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Surrey v Essex 19-22 July the Oval Empty Surrey v Essex 19-22 July the Oval

Post by Steve Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:51 pm

Big game this week. Let’s hope for a greenish
pitch to negate Harmer.

My team is

Burns
Patel
Amla
Pope
Jacks
Geddes
Foakes
Overton
Lawes
Roach
Worrall

Maybe if the pitch is too dry Moriarity for Lawes.

Steve

dougieginn and Chinaman like this post

Back to top Go down

Surrey v Essex 19-22 July the Oval Empty Re: Surrey v Essex 19-22 July the Oval

Post by offdrive4 Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:07 pm

Geddes instead of Smith? I do not think Smith has shown great form just recently, but I think he is class and would stick with him. I also would consider Atkinson for Lawes, close one that. Any news as to when Clark might be available?

offdrive4

KeninWestWickham likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:50 pm

I would also stick with Smith. He hasn't had the greatest of seasons so far, but as we saw at Bristol and on several occasions last year he can play long innings. Geddes did well last home game, though Essex's attack will be a somewhat different proposition to Kent's.

Atkinson is, I assume, still out with a broken hand. I would pick Moriarty ahead of Lawes, simply given the outrageous forecast and the need for someone to bowl lots of overs allowing the seamers plenty of rest and short spells.
Jackers
Jackers

dougieginn and KeninWestWickham like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:51 am

Jaker's has a good point in having a slow bowler available, particularly for Tuesday's predicted 38 degrees. Could they consider that dangerously hot to play in I wonder. I was in Columbo many years ago, similar temperature with added humidity. It was 120 in the sun. I like the sun but being day 1 may give tomorrow a miss. You can sit in the shade, but the travelling will be very unpleasant. Wednesday on is back into the 20s.

Chinaman

dougieginn and Keith Powell like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Powell Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:20 am

I wonder how the heat will affect the game tomorrow. Will they open gates earlier?
Will be interesting to see how many people actually go tomorrow I'm under pressure not to go but will be there sitting in the shade.
Somebody suggested starting on Wednesday to avoid tomorrow's extreme temperatures.?

Keith Powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:19 am

Both teams will  be quite literally sweating on the outcome of the toss tomorrow morning. Imagine being the captain who has to trudge back and tell his troops they have a long day in the field ahead of them in 40 degree heat!
Jackers
Jackers

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:42 am

Keith Powell wrote:I wonder how the heat will affect the game tomorrow. Will they open gates earlier?
Will be interesting to see how many people actually go tomorrow I'm under pressure not to go but will be there sitting in the shade.
Somebody suggested starting on Wednesday to avoid tomorrow's extreme temperatures.?

Not sure they could delay a day as it will throw the schedule out. Although a quick look suggests that it could be done. But then there would only be a day between games. Might be better than the sweat box tomorrow though.

Chinaman

Keith Powell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:06 am

Out of interest all this week's Championship fixtures could be pushed back a day as there doesn't appear to be anything on Saturday that would be affected as far as I can see. Even if the London games could be moved back I'm sure the players and spectators would prefer it. Doubt they'll do it though.

Chinaman

RightArmSlow likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Powell Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:12 am

No spinner tomorrow apart from Jack's.
Virdi and Moriarty playing for 2nd xl.

Keith Powell

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:32 am

Would Batty have had a career if previous coaches had a similar approach?

Hard to knock it given how well the team is doing but it does seem terribly focused on the here and now rather than development.

adelaide

dougieginn and RightArmSlow like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:43 am

Presumably as an Interim coach,he is not interested in the future!

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:37 pm

adelaide wrote:Would Batty have had a career if previous coaches had a similar approach?

Hard to knock it given how well the team is doing but it does seem terribly focused on the here and now rather than development.

Just maybe they don't see a future of long term development of either of them, if they did then why have they still not played? Mind you we don't want to prepare a turner for Harmar to make hey on.
I reckon they may well look at an overseas signing of a top spinner for next year, or at least some of it. I don't see any decent spinners in County Cricket, sadly, at present.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:46 pm

I think that the one man who could decide who wins the CC this year is Lee Fortis. If he can produce the type of good cricket pitches he has for most of the season,we have an excellent chance, but if it’s like the dreadful flat wicket against Kent,I can’t see us getting 20wickets!

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:11 pm

With the weather we've had the last week it will be as flat as the A1.

It really wouldn't surprise me if players on either side gets a bout of heat exhaustion, today at home so far in the low 30s has been awful, God knows what it'll be like playing cricket when it gets near 40c

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:11 pm

While Hampshire and Lancashire are pretty strong all-round, I'd say Essex are probably the most potent bowling side in the championship. Harmer is a class apart from any other spinner, while Cook, Porter and "Bollocky Bill" Snater are all dangerous with the new ball. Fortis has a difficult balancing act to prepare a pitch which offers some, but not too much, to the bowlers.
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Powell Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:13 pm

Gloucestershire having 3 90min sessions tomorrow finishing at 4-30 sensible move will we do the same?

Keith Powell

Keith Powell and Pink Panther like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:21 pm

offdrive4 wrote:Geddes instead of Smith?   I do not think Smith has shown great form just recently, but I think he is class and would stick with him.  I also would consider Atkinson for Lawes, close one that.  Any news as to when Clark might be available?

I see that Geddes is captaining the seconds in their four dayer against Kent. Whilst anyone could be pulled out of that for the firsts, I doubt he would have been made skipper if we were thinking of doing that.

It therefore looks to me like we are sticking with Smith. Tough on Geddes but I too rate Smith highly.

guildfordbat

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:39 pm

Anyone got any news on how to get to The Oval?The trainline site just throws up a giant,red warning sign.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:01 pm

Badges wrote:Anyone got any news on how to get to The Oval?The trainline site just throws up a giant,red warning sign.

Where are you coming from? Bus may be preferable to trains, even the tube will be pretty horrible. Either way it's going to be baking whatever way you come. Cheltenham is finishing early at 4.30 maybe we'll follow. As it's day 1, I'll probably hit the outdoor pool instead. I've watched cricket in Sri  Lanka in 40 degrees and even in the shade it's not  very comfortable to say the least.

Chinaman

Badges likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:15 pm

Cheam,West Sutton or Worcester Park.Morden tube as a last resort.I think i'll stay away tomorrow .......................

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:20 pm

News on the Oval web site just up giving normal hours of play with usual warnings about the heat. If people have weekend arrangements probably difficult to change at short notice.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pink Panther Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:50 pm

Chinaman wrote:Out of interest all this week's Championship fixtures could be pushed back a day as there doesn't appear to be anything on Saturday that would be affected as far as I can see. Even if the London games could be moved back I'm sure the players and spectators would prefer it. Doubt they'll do it though.
The greater stumbling block would probably be arranging all the match day ancillary and catering staff for Saturday at short notice.
Pink Panther
Pink Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Powell Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:03 pm

Surrey have just sent out there latest email regarding tomorrow's game.
No mention of any changes to playing time .
So at the moment normal arrangements.

Keith Powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:41 pm

Pope and Roach in, no frontline spinner

If we get hammered then that'll be why

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:00 pm

Chinaman wrote:
adelaide wrote:Would Batty have had a career if previous coaches had a similar approach?

Just maybe they don't see a future of long term development of either of them, if they did then why have they still not played? Mind you we don't want to prepare a turner for Harmar to make hey on.
I reckon they may well look at an overseas signing of a top spinner for next year, or at least some of it. I don't see any decent spinners in County Cricket, sadly, at present.

Didn’t Stewie bat away concerns about the spinners at a members forum by saying they will get opportunities later in the summer? That’s clearly BS. It also suggests the approach is coming from Batty or Burns. As others have said it’s strange for Batty to take that view because Virdi kept him out of the championship team for the whole season the last time we won it, and Batty has always been very supportive publicly of both spinners while he was still a player. I think all we’re asking for is some transparency because if Cam Steel is named ahead of both then it’s likely as a spin option - because we have 7 batting options in that squad BEFORE you even get to Jamie Overton. Does he not have to take wickets and ‘bang the door down’ like Moriarty and Virdi apparently do?

Anyway, to those who brave it tomorrow - well done!

Cee Gee

dougieginn, Keith Powell and RightArmSlow like this post

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next