Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hampshire v Surrey - Championship cricket returns

+19
cricketman
Sir Winston Churchill
The Red Rooster
Erniep7070
Olympian2
paultpm
Keith Powell
Coatesy
BristolRob
Chinaman
adelaide
Wobbler
Admin
guildfordbat
Cee Gee
dougieginn
Badges
Alex!
Jackers
23 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Hampshire v Surrey - Championship cricket returns Empty Hampshire v Surrey - Championship cricket returns

Post by Jackers Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:20 pm

For two weeks, at least.

We're left to play two of the three sides above us, so it's certainly in our hands to snatch one of the top two places which will mean that we are among the "Super Six" in contention for the title at the business end of the season.

I'm a little hazy on who is or isn't available to us at the Ageas, so I've had to make some assumptions (ie Currans and Roy no, Burns and Pope yes). With the proviso that I may well be wrong given the complete vagaries of the ECB's requirements,  I would select the following:

Burns, Stoneman, Amla, Pope, Smith (wk), Clark, Overton, Jamieson, Atkinson, Moriarty, Virdi.

Tough perhaps on Will Jacks given his sparkling T20 form, but I don't feel he is as reliable a pick in red-ball cricket as the other batsmen (or perhaps even Ryan Patel) and in the cloudy, overcast conditions forecast we shouldn't need a third spinner.

The bowling is more of a conundrum: I'm throwing Atkinson in largely because he has bowled so well in T20, and because Rikki hasn't made a compelling case to keep his place in the games he's played. But it's a fine call, as is retaining Jamie Overton who I hope can continue to show the glimpses of improvement he showed in the last championship match, against Gloucestershire. Arguably this leaves us with three "bowling all-rounders" in Clark, Overton and Jamieson, but given the quality of our batsmen in this game that is a call I am prepared to make.

There is an argument given the forecast to play both Overton and Clarke at the expense of one of the spinners, but (along with Jamieson) they are very much our strong suit with the ball, the Ageas Bowl does take spin and the long boundaries should be in their favour as they were in the T20 match.
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Hampshire v Surrey - Championship cricket returns Empty Re: Hampshire v Surrey - Championship cricket returns

Post by Alex! Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:43 pm

I see that Sam Northeast also appears to be off to Yorkshire. Sheesh, something seems bad there...

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Hampshire v Surrey - Championship cricket returns Empty Re: Hampshire v Surrey - Championship cricket returns

Post by Badges Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:45 pm

Looking forward to it! Weather forecast looks dodgy though.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:21 pm

Jacks must be the first on the team sheet after his performances this season! I would play Overton but not Clark. The same team as the Hants match. According to the weather forecast, the weather looks fine until much later. Hope that Jamieson comes good tonight.

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:50 pm

Just to check, Dougie, you do realise this thread is about the championship match starting on Sunday, not tonight's T20 v Kent?
Jackers
Jackers

dougieginn and Cee Gee like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:52 pm

Alex! wrote:I see that Sam Northeast also appears to be off to Yorkshire. Sheesh, something seems bad there...

He’s apparently going to be a free agent at the end of the season though. I hope we’d be taking a look at that as a signing.

Cee Gee

Badges likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:39 pm

Jackers wrote:

I'm a little hazy on who is or isn't available to us at the Ageas, so I've had to make some assumptions (ie Currans and Roy no, Burns and Pope yes). With the proviso that I may well be wrong given the complete vagaries of the ECB's requirements,  I would select the following:

Burns, Stoneman, Amla, Pope, Smith (wk), Clark, Overton, Jamieson, Atkinson, Moriarty, Virdi.

Tough perhaps on Will Jacks given his sparkling T20 form, but I don't feel he is as reliable a pick in red-ball cricket as the other batsmen (or perhaps even Ryan Patel) and in the cloudy, overcast conditions forecast we shouldn't need a third spinner.

Hi Jackers - I go along with your take as to who is available and who isn't but who really knows?!

One particular point I would make is that Ryan Patel scored 62 in our last CC match against Gloucs which certainly played a part in our innings victory. That was when he stood in for Burns and was his only first team appearance and innings so far this season. That doesn't necessarily mean he retains his place in the team but he deserves to be in the mix.

guildfordbat

dougieginn and Cee Gee like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:28 pm

Just hope Jamieson is better at Red Ball cricket than T20.

dougieginn

Badges likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:01 am

Here's my preview of the LVCC clash between @hantscricket and @surreycricket http://www.ovalworld-online.com/prevhamsurcc2021.htm

First-class stats sheet for @surreycricket vs @hantscricket http://www.ovalworld-online.com/fc_stats_surrey_hampshire.pdf
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://ovalworld.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbler Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:53 am

No Pope? What kind of team reformation is this?

Wobbler

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:17 am

Wobbler wrote:No Pope? What kind of team reformation is this?

Truly a cardinal sin.

Gubbins straight in the team for Hampshire, I see.

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:21 am

Maybe England want him rested.
Doesn't appear to be a live stream for this?

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:43 am

And no Moriarty!!

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:44 am

Chinaman wrote:Maybe England want him rested.
Doesn't appear to be a live stream for this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMsZxEChnTQ

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:07 pm

Thanks for the link.

I don't know about 25% capacity members only, looks like there is about 5%, unless they are all coming later. Maybe the dodgy forecast.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:17 pm

Pope is injured

Cee Gee

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:58 pm

This over rate has been absolutely shocking

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:52 pm

Jamieson has been off the field since lunch, watching from the boundary. I have no idea why.
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:16 pm

Jackers - how many spectators approx at the ground? It looks very scant on the live stream but I haven't seen the Pavillion.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:26 pm

Quite sparse around much of the ground.

The Pavillion is out of bounds as players from both sides are using it.

Alec Stewart had a conversation with Jamieson on the boundary and went straight on the phone - sounds like we are trying to get a replacement lined up. Hope I am wrong.

We have had some luck, though: 3 of the 4 wickets were dubious caught behind/LBW decisions. I am sitting close to where the batsmen walk back up to the dressing room and they all looked unhappy. Vince threw his bat as soon as he was inside.
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:28 pm

Has nobody told him he has to bowl more than four overs!!

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:37 pm

Bad news - I just caught Alec walking round the boundary.

Kyle Jamieson has done his glute.

Ollie Pope has injured his thigh.

Both are out for a while.

Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:41 pm

Bit fortunate with that 3rd wicket just now, but considering we're a bowler down this is a brilliant effort from Clark!

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Post by BristolRob Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:00 pm

Is there a commentary today?

BristolRob

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:22 pm

BristolRob wrote:Is there a commentary today?

Live stream on You Tube but no sound for some reason.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next