Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hampshire v Surrey - Championship cricket returns

+19
cricketman
Sir Winston Churchill
The Red Rooster
Erniep7070
Olympian2
paultpm
Keith Powell
Coatesy
BristolRob
Chinaman
adelaide
Wobbler
Admin
guildfordbat
Cee Gee
dougieginn
Badges
Alex!
Jackers
23 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Hampshire v Surrey - Championship cricket returns - Page 5 Empty Re: Hampshire v Surrey - Championship cricket returns

Post by RB Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:28 am

I’ve gone full Steve Waugh on nightwatchmen recently. All we’ve done by batting Virdi as one is gift the oppo another wicket. 9-3 now as a result.

RB

Back to top Go down

Hampshire v Surrey - Championship cricket returns - Page 5 Empty Re: Hampshire v Surrey - Championship cricket returns

Post by Jackers Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:30 am

You look down the list of who is to come and you wonder quite which precious asset the night-watchman was meant to be protecting.
Jackers
Jackers

John Hamilton likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:32 am

The role of the night-watchmen needs nuking, top order bats need to earn the right to have one.

Ineptitude from the top to bottom

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Post by Basileus1453 Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:35 am

It does look awful and the players need to take a look at themselves.

It is a wonder how there isn't much resistance being offered. Not a player or two trying to keep things together. It's pure capitulation and the only way of seeing some light in this is it can be collective failure.

Still I'd want some people to make a better go at it.

Basileus1453

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:03 pm

The sadist in me quite enjoyed that session

Alex!

Cee Gee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Basileus1453 Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:06 pm

Alex! wrote:The sadist in me quite enjoyed that session

I suppose it is very difficult to face this situation because the bowlers smell the fear 😁

Basileus1453

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:26 pm

This one is probably aimed most at Dougie, but I’m just checking in on the ‘lack of fight and application’ comments. Amla has 3 from 96. I think that’s showing enough F&A, but if he gets out straight after lunch does he lose F&A points? Rory got 0 from 25, so probably enough F but not enough A. If he just doesn’t get out then he’s moving into Amla territory. This is all so finely balanced.

Cee Gee

Basileus1453 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Basileus1453 Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:39 pm

Cee Gee wrote:This one is probably aimed most at Dougie, but I’m just checking in on the ‘lack of fight and application’ comments. Amla has 3 from 96. I think that’s showing enough F&A, but if he gets out straight after lunch does he lose F&A points? Rory got 0 from 25, so probably enough F but not enough A. If he just doesn’t get out then he’s moving into Amla territory. This is all so finely balanced.

Personally I hope they can hold out. If they can somehow grind out the draw that will be immense.

It's good that you can put a counterpoint across. I think yesterday it was a shame that they couldn't chalk up the runs, today it's different because it's not about the runs, it's the staying at the crease that would count.

I get that there is no reward and it would be tough to knock the stuffing out of the Hampshire attack.

A draw now would be like a win.....a big one at that. No one wants to embrace that hope though

Basileus1453

Back to top Go down

Post by paultpm Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:51 pm

Credit to Patel for showing some F & A too….
paultpm
paultpm

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:10 pm

Cee Gee wrote:This one is probably aimed most at Dougie, but I’m just checking in on the ‘lack of fight and application’ comments. Amla has 3 from 96. I think that’s showing enough F&A, but if he gets out straight after lunch does he lose F&A points? Rory got 0 from 25, so probably enough F but not enough A. If he just doesn’t get out then he’s moving into Amla territory. This is all so finely balanced.

Hi Cee Gee - Dougie's old enough to make his own response but I would emphasise that F&A needs to be shown throughout each of the four days of a CC match and not just on the last.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:23 pm

If we loose this as is looking likely, where do we stand as to qualifying? in the top 2. Would a high scoring win against Somerset be enough(dream on)?

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:31 pm

Noticeable that Amla is batting on off stump to the spinners. Perhaps he's a convert to the modern way?

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:46 pm

Cee Vee, I do admit that Burns and Amla showed some application yesterday, but what about the other members of the side who clearly didn’t,especially Stoneman. It needed and still needs the whole team to turn up,not just 2!!!

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by Coatesy Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:49 pm

Chinaman wrote:If we loose this as is looking likely, where do we stand as to qualifying? in the top 2. Would a high scoring win against Somerset be enough(dream on)?

highly unlikely, as Gloucester are going to beat Middlesex

if we draw we may have a chance, but with Gloucester playing Hants in the last round its seems likely that we wont be in the top 2, and therefore the top division when it starts again

I assume if we finish in the 2nd tier, we will need to be in the top 3 of that league to go into Division 1 next season, with those from the 1st tier, whilst the bottom 3 of tier 2 go into Division 2 with the counties that finish up in tier 3 from this season

Coatesy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:01 pm

If we draw this game, we still give ourselves an outside chance of qualifying for the "September Super Six", though assuming Gloucestershire will win we would need a low-scoring draw between them and Hampshire as well as a handsome win against Somerset. It would probably be 10/1 against, but we will have at least bought a ticket for the raffle.

As regards the permutations for next season, let's not second-guess whether we will be continuing with the current format or reverting to the two-division model. I wouldn't like to call it at the moment.
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:11 pm

I like this model, although I think we won't know how well it goes until post-second stage.

RB

Jackers likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Basileus1453 Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:25 pm

RB wrote:I like this model, although I think we won't know how well it goes until post-second stage.

I'm curious about the incentives to do well this season for those in the other groups. Apart from pride of winning is there anything else?

It wouldn't make sense to have Relegation from the top group to me. It's like a Tournament format to me.

The only incentive is to come out top half of middle group should it effect a two division structure next season

Basileus1453

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:32 pm

Basileus1453 wrote:
RB wrote:I like this model, although I think we won't know how well it goes until post-second stage.

I'm curious about the incentives to do well this season for those in the other groups. Apart from pride of winning is there anything else?

It wouldn't make sense to have Relegation from the top group to me. It's like a Tournament format to me.

The only incentive is to come out top half of middle group should it effect a two division structure next season

I take your point, but surely this is no different to, say, trying to win the (normal) Div2 title once promotion has been confirmed?

I think if you had a cup and a plate for the Div2/Div3 parts it might assuage your fears?

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:40 pm

I know people slag off Church, but Kevan James doesn't half talk some tedious shit

Alex!

RB likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Howzat Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:45 pm

Interesting discussion around the use of night watchmen. I like the idea of putting some clueless johnny that can't bat in to protect the proper batsmen - I nominate Stoneman!

Howzat

RB and Erniep7070 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Basileus1453 Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:00 pm

RB wrote:
Basileus1453 wrote:

I take your point, but surely this is no different to, say, trying to win the (normal) Div2 title once promotion has been confirmed?

I think if you had a cup and a plate for the Div2/Div3 parts it might assuage your fears?

I think a cup or plate is a consolation but hardly an honour that many could take pride in.

You have a point that at some point there is always dead rubber matches. Be interesting though to see a league table across the groups and see if it would still be more or less dead rubber matches to come.

Of course there is an opportunity to blood new talent in the lower groups, so in that respect it might be good.

Basileus1453

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:11 pm

Back to the issue at hand - Virdi the nightwatchman seems even sillier now, it was just a free wicket, effectively.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:13 pm

Basileus1453 wrote:
RB wrote:
Basileus1453 wrote:

I think a cup or plate is a consolation but hardly an honour that many could take pride in.

You have a point that at some point there is always dead rubber matches. Be interesting though to see a league table across the groups and see if it would still be more or less dead rubber matches to come.

Of course there is an opportunity to blood new talent in the lower groups, so in that respect it might be good.

Respectfully disagree on that last point ie seeing it as an opportunity to blood the youngsters It is the sort of "spin" we have been fed re the impact of The Hundred on The Royal London Cup.

We see less and less county cricket nowadays, especially championship cricket. I want to see Surrey put out their strongest possible team on the increasingly rare occasions we get to see them play.

I agree that providing an incentive to teams not competing for the championship in the last part of the season is the biggest challenge for the current format (though not necessarily a deal-breaker..)
Jackers
Jackers

Erniep7070 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:25 pm

Anyone know how many overs are left?

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Basileus1453 Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:28 pm

Chinaman wrote:Anyone know how many overs are left?

Personally I don't know. Still see they are hanging on but lots of work still to do.

Is 7 necessarily the cut off time?

Basileus1453

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next