Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Final Countdown: Surrey vs Hampshire away.

+24
Andy1210
gjones31
Wedmore Wanderer
David Waghorn
Ali888
RB
StephenP
Pink Panther
SimonH
Benmug
Sir Winston Churchill
KeninWestWickham
Alex!
Cee Gee
Coatesy
Keith Powell
guildfordbat
Admin
VicNorth
dougieginn
Jhe10077
Jackers
Steve
Chinaman
28 posters

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

The Final Countdown: Surrey vs Hampshire away. Empty The Final Countdown: Surrey vs Hampshire away.

Post by Chinaman Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:54 pm

The weather forecast I'm afraid is getting worse by the hour. Looking like rain of various amounts on the first three days. The upside is we'll likely get the 5 points for the draw, and the forecast for Northampton (Essex)is only marginally better.
Pity as I was planning to go Wednesday, but will need to revisit that on Tuesday.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

The Final Countdown: Surrey vs Hampshire away. Empty Re: The Final Countdown: Surrey vs Hampshire away.

Post by Steve Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:07 pm

I see them useless the c word!! at the ECB are very kindly letting us have Jacks and Smith back.

That ODI series v Ireland is like Mark Butcher and Pep Guardiola fighting over a comb. Lets get the bonus points we need any way we can.

I dont give a toss if it rains a lot as long as we win the title. Stewie et al can stick 2 fingers up at the ECB and tell them to kiss his arse!

Steve

Keith Powell, Chinaman and KeninWestWickham like this post

Back to top Go down

The Final Countdown: Surrey vs Hampshire away. Empty Re: The Final Countdown: Surrey vs Hampshire away.

Post by Jackers Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:50 pm

It is very possible that we may already be confirmed as champions on Day 1: I think this would be the case if Essex were to bat first and be bowled out for fewer than 400 while we secured three bowling or batting points. Under those circumstances, would we even bother to make changes to the team who started the game? On the one hand, Smith and Jacks are part of our strongest team and would give us the best chance of finishing with a win. On the other, unlike both last year and 2018 we don't have an unbeaten record to protect, so is it really worth messing about with the starting eleven under those circumstances?
Jackers
Jackers

Jhe10077 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:18 pm

Jackers wrote:It is very possible that we may already be confirmed as champions on Day 1: I think this would be the case if Essex were to bat first and be bowled out for fewer than 400 while we secured three bowling or batting points. Under those circumstances, would we even bother to make changes to the team who started the game? On the one hand, Smith and Jacks are part of our strongest team and would give us the best chance of finishing with a win. On the other, unlike both last year and 2018 we don't have an unbeaten record to protect, so is it really worth messing about with the starting eleven under those circumstances?

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:23 pm

Very Shortsighted selections imo. It must surely have a detrimental effect on the players getting replaced on day 2

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:34 pm

Jhe10077 wrote:Very Shortsighted selections imo. It must surely  have a detrimental effect on the players getting replaced on day 2

I'm not sure I'd feel that sorry for Ryan Patel, who has probably had more than one drink from the last chance saloon (this season at least). Cam Steel is the other obvious candidate, but as  "Team Player of the Year" I'm sure he would be quite sanguine about making way for Jacks. As I said, though, I am not sure I would bother to do it if we are mathematically over the line after Day 1.

Incidentally, this isn't the first time we've faced selection headaches in a championship decider away at Hampshire. In 1971 we went into that final game needing, I think, six bonus points to become champions. Bob Willis and my hero Robin Jackman had been competing for the opening bowler slot to partner Geoff Arnold all season. Micky Stewart had to break the news to Robin that he was opting for Bob's extra pace. When the wicket fell to give us the winning bonus point (Gilliat c Long b Intikhab), Robin along with Micky's wife Sheila marched out with trays of champagne. I gather the celebrations continued into the night. Unsurprisingly, we didn't get any further points, lost the match, finished level on points with Warwickshire and were only champions by virtue of winning more matches.

Last edited by Jackers on Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:27 pm; edited 4 times in total
Jackers
Jackers

Pink Panther and KeninWestWickham like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:41 pm

Is the game on Sky does anyone know? They will be showing the most pointless ODI ever tomorrow of course. Maybe Sky will only be at the Ageas Bowl from Day 2!!!

Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:24 pm

Steve wrote:Is the game on Sky does anyone know? They will be showing the most pointless ODI ever tomorrow of course.  Maybe Sky will only be at the Ageas Bowl from Day 2!!!

I believe it is. It will be on You Tube if you have it, minus the ads.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:28 pm

I don't see it on the Sky schedules.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:44 pm

Jackers wrote:
Jhe10077 wrote:Very Shortsighted selections imo. It must surely  have a detrimental effect on the players getting replaced on day 2

I'm not sure I'd feel that sorry for Ryan Patel, who has probably had more than one drink from the last chance saloon (this season at least). Cam Steel is the other obvious candidate, but as  "Team Player of the Year" I'm sure he would be quite sanguine about making way for Jacks. As I said, though, I am not sure I would bother to do it if we are mathematically over the line after Day 1.

Incidentally, this isn't the first time we've faced selection headaches in a championship decider away at Hampshire. In 1971 we went into that final game needing, I think, six bonus points to become champions. Bob Willis and my hero Robin Jackman had been competing for the opening bowler slot to partner Geoff Arnold all season. Micky Stewart had to break the news to Robin that he was opting for Bob's extra pace. When the wicket fell to give us the winning bonus point (Gilliat c Long b Intikhab), Robin along with Micky's wife Sheila marched out with trays of champagne. I gather the celebrations continued into the night. Unsurprisingly, we didn't get any further points, lost the match, finished level on points with Warwickshire and were only champions by virtue of winning more matches.
I am pleased to say that I was there for the winning bowling point.Remember being invited with a few friends into the dressing room after by Mickey. In the second in the second innings we were bowled out by the occasional bowler Roy Marshall,more known as as an attacking opening batsman.

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:43 pm

They have to be like-for-like replacements I believe, so Steel for Jacks is a no-brainer, but I'm not sure who Smith would come in for (Patel or Sudharsan).

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:16 pm

It’s all seems a bit stage managed let’s hope we bat first and the stand ins make Runs.

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:35 pm

Absolute nonsense.

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:38 am

Here's my preview of the final Champo clash of the season between @hantscricket and @surreycricket which starts at the Ageas Bowl today. http://www.ovalworld-online.com/prevhamsurcc2023.htm

Here's the first-class stats sheet for @surreycricket vs @hantscricket http://www.ovalworld-online.com/fc_stats_surrey_hampshire.pdf

For Surrey's fixtures and scorecards go to http://www.ovalworld-online.com/cards.htm
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://ovalworld.forumotion.com

Jason likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:47 am

Marcus - many thanks for this preview and all the others during the season. Much appreciated as ever.

As regards the Hants team for this match, it should be to our advantage that the experienced and almost ever reliable Keith Barker misses out with a leg injury. Although Marcus has James Fuller replacing him, I wonder if it might be Ian Holland.

guildfordbat

Jason likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Powell Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:08 am

On the bus to the ground no rain at the moment had some over night

Keith Powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:19 am

Hi Keith
Say hello from me to all there today. Hope the rain keeps away. Chelmsford is looking a bit more dodgy!

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:24 am

Keith Powell wrote:On the bus to the ground no rain at the moment had some over night

Enjoy the game, Keith.

Just to add that with rain expected to be considerably about and as usual five seamers in our side, we need to have an awareness of the over rate. It could be disastrous if the game finished early due to bad weather and we get draw but then have 1 or 2 points docked for a slow over rate.

guildfordbat

Pink Panther likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:24 am

What a shame that the match is at Northampton (rather than Chelmsford!), which like Hedge End is now looking mainly dry over the four days. A tip, guys: stay off the BBC weather app. Instead look at "Accuweather" - drill down into the "hourly" forecasts.

Seriously, though, I wouldn't want rain to be the winner. Despite our dodgy recent form we have got ourselves in a position where we can and should win the championship without having to rely on weather. Unlike 2018 and 2022, let's go out with a win.
Jackers
Jackers

Pink Panther likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:35 am

To be honest all the weather forecasts are way out at the moment. Every game in both Divisions is delayed.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Coatesy Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:42 am

Not quite every game

3 in Div 2 have started and the Kent v Lancs game in Div 1 is underway

Coatesy

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:05 am

Nothing on Sky to say it will be on. They dont give a toss about county cricket. You Tube it is then
or Churchy on 5 live sports extra. I dont care if it rains a bit get them 5 points any which way you can!

Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:18 am

I don't expect Sky to cover county cricket. They are a commercial channel.and owe us nothing.

I DO expect the ECB to protect and preserve the best traditions of the game, regardless of Sky's wishlist over scheduling, The Hundred and everything else.

Last edited by Jackers on Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:24 am

We don’t need Sky to cover county cricket when the games are streamed on YouTube.

Cee Gee

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:50 am

guildfordbat wrote:Marcus - many thanks for this preview and all the others during the season. Much appreciated as ever.

As regards the Hants team for this match, it should be to our advantage that the experienced and almost ever reliable Keith Barker misses out with a leg injury. Although Marcus has James Fuller replacing him, I wonder if it might be Ian Holland.

Marcus - we were sort of boh right as both Fuller and Holland play with Felix Organ missing out for Hants along with the injured Barker. Possibly not a bad thing for Surrey as Organ's occasional funky spin has previously done for us on at least one occasion.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next