Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Final Countdown: Surrey vs Hampshire away.

+24
Andy1210
gjones31
Wedmore Wanderer
David Waghorn
Ali888
RB
StephenP
Pink Panther
SimonH
Benmug
Sir Winston Churchill
KeninWestWickham
Alex!
Cee Gee
Coatesy
Keith Powell
guildfordbat
Admin
VicNorth
dougieginn
Jhe10077
Jackers
Steve
Chinaman
28 posters

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

The Final Countdown: Surrey vs Hampshire away. - Page 9 Empty Re: The Final Countdown: Surrey vs Hampshire away.

Post by Keith Powell Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:12 pm

Brainless batting from Jacks

Keith Powell

dougieginn and offdrive4 like this post

Back to top Go down

The Final Countdown: Surrey vs Hampshire away. - Page 9 Empty Re: The Final Countdown: Surrey vs Hampshire away.

Post by SimonH Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:14 pm

Can we or Hants take an extra half hour tonight to get to a result?

SimonH

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:22 pm

It's mildly amusing that the only one playing with any sense of normality is the IPL player

Alex!

dougieginn, SimonH, Keith Powell, Chinaman, Cee Gee, RB and Gabriel like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonH Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:32 pm

SimonH wrote:Can we or Hants take an extra half hour tonight to get to a result?

Ignore me.

SimonH

Back to top Go down

Post by David Waghorn Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:40 pm

Cee Gee wrote:I’m very pleased for Sibbers as a Surrey boy to come back to the club and play a full part in retaining the title. Must be a lovely feeling for him to do with his home club.
Really??!! I am afraid I think Sibley has been disappointing. He played that one major innings down at Canterbury and I know he has a few other 50's but none were converted into hundreds so overall I think he has a lot to improve this winter. Of course the captain has had an "annus horribilis" but let's hope he goes away this winter, has a good rest, recharges the batteries and then gets back in the nets early in the new year to discover his batting again. The opening partnership is so vital in red ball cricket.

David Waghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:47 pm

More rubbish batting.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:51 pm

David Waghorn wrote:
Cee Gee wrote:I’m very pleased for Sibbers as a Surrey boy to come back to the club and play a full part in retaining the title. Must be a lovely feeling for him to do with his home club.
Really??!!  I am afraid I think Sibley has been disappointing. He played that one major innings down at Canterbury and I know he has a few other 50's but none were converted into hundreds so overall I think he has a lot to improve this winter. Of course the captain has had an "annus horribilis" but let's hope he goes away this winter, has a good rest, recharges the batteries and then gets back in the nets early in the new year to discover his batting again. The opening partnership is so vital in red ball cricket.

Your reply here has nothing with my post. I’ve said how nice it must be for Sibs to come back, as a Surrey boy and win the title - especially as he may he may have reasonably believed the chance to do it with his home team had passed. You’ve replied with a comment on his performance this season which you’ve more or less cut and paste from earlier in the thread. We know that’s how you feel mate. We’ve just won back to back titles. Enjoy!

Cee Gee

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:53 pm

Sud has shown to be a class act in this game. Our best batsman by a mile. We should definitely get him back next season. I know he will play IPL but after that. Latham whilst the IPL is on.

Steve

Jackers, SimonH and Ray AFCW like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by David Waghorn Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:06 pm

Steve wrote:Sud has shown to be a class act in this game. Our best batsman by a mile.  We should definitely get him back next season.  I know he will play IPL but after that. Latham whilst the IPL is on.
Steve, That is the major problem. Sudarsan looks a really good batsman but he will definitely be playing IPL and so if the ridiculous calendar for the CC matches stays the same, he would miss about 6-7 matches in the CC as the IPL runs till late May.

David Waghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali888 Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:07 pm

Steve wrote:Sud has shown to be a class act in this game. Our best batsman by a mile.  We should definitely get him back next season.  I know he will play IPL but after that. Latham whilst the IPL is on.

In place of Roach or Abbott?

Ali888

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:09 pm

Abbott will be in the IPL and T20 World Cup. Roach and Latham at the start of next season then Sud and Abbott after the white ball stuff if available.

Steve

dougieginn and SimonH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonH Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:34 pm

Chinaman wrote: Oh yes. But you know cricket, odd things happen

Came back to this quote to say I was thinking the same about Essex having a decent chance of getting the 400 needed in 110 overs, given their 1st innings against Hants last week and Northants 1st innings this week. Yet it took them 20 wickets and 102 overs to only get 330 runs.

SimonH

guildfordbat and Chinaman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:45 am

On a different note, I think Kent have a 2 point lead over Middle. Both games look like a draw, so probably no visit to Lords next year, not that I go there anyway.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Powell Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:00 am

Hopefully a,win this morning but after yesterday's dreadful shots to get out to from a couple of players that might be difficult. Jack's attitude at the wicket to me looked dreadful having a slog in the park more like. I do wonder if the coaches say anything before they go out to bat.We got ourselves into a good position to win this let's hope we do just that this morning with our loanee at the wicket still who has had an excellent match by far the best batsmen on show for Surrey.

Keith Powell

Jackers, dougieginn and Chinaman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:07 am

Don't really have an issue with the way Jacks batted to be honest, with Dawson at one end there's very likely to have a ball with your name on it

Alex!

RB likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:16 am

Alex! wrote:Don't really have an issue with the way Jacks batted to be honest, with Dawson at one end there's very likely to have a ball with your name on it

I think you could justify his tactics when so many perished before him after batting a long time scoring very few runs and then getting out on this helpful pitch.

dougieginn

RB likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pink Panther Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:11 am

Well, we've lost by 52 runs in about half an hour, with Sudharsan last out. Disappointing to lose the final match of a Championship winning season for the third time running.
Pink Panther
Pink Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Powell Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:21 am

Great to win the championship.
But a real anticlimax on the final day.

Keith Powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:37 am

I would love to go down to Essex and give it large to them mouthy wide boy Essex the c word!!!

They talk the talk but dont walk the walk!!! They must be gutted and the Essex Samaritans phone line would have been engaged yesterday!!!

Steve

Cee Gee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by David Waghorn Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:28 pm

Keith Powell wrote:Great to win the championship.

Totally agree Keith.
Very, very disappointing peformances in the last two matches and yet again to lose this final match of the season has put a dampener on it for me and I suspect several others. Obviously we cannot be too critical as we have retained the title but these last two games show again that the standard of batsmanship in the modern game is nothing like it used to be. For God's sake Dawson is no world beater, he is not exactly Shane Warne, yet he was made to look as if he was bowling grenades!! The modern day batsman does not seem to have any idea about playing a decent slow bowler. Due to the Blast and concentration on the white ball game, it has been noticeable how different even basic batting methods are nowadays. Sudharsan has a classic stance with the bat kept low and he plays the spinning ball late. The majority of our players hold the bat like a baseball bat and if they can't cope, then they just try and slog. One has to ask if Troughton and even Stewart himself (who was a class player and could play spin properly) discuss how to play a turning ball. We only needed 70 runs this morning with the whole day ahead. Clark, Overton, Worrall and even Roach can all bat so together with Sudharsan, they should have got those runs.

Let's hope Lawrence brings a bit of stability to the batting next season and it will be interesting to see if we revert to a class overseas batsman next year. We have so missed a Sangakharra or Amla this year.

David Waghorn

dougieginn, Jason, Keith Powell, Chinaman, Pink Panther, Ray AFCW, Jhe10077 and Andy1210 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:42 pm

Well English batsmen can't play spin, and this was certainly a bit of a turner. Damp squib end for me to an underwhelming season that sort of petered out.  Lots of reasons and not the players fault but all rather naff. Winners yes, but no comparison to the joy of 2018, and the sensational winning years of 1999, 2000 and 2002. I'll be pleased if Middlesex take the drop though!

Chinaman

Jackers and dougieginn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:37 pm

David Waghorn wrote:
Keith Powell wrote:Great to win the championship.

Totally agree Keith.
Very, very disappointing peformances in the last two matches and yet again to lose this final match of the season has put a dampener on it for me and I suspect several others. Obviously we cannot be too critical as we have retained the title but these last two games show again that the standard of batsmanship in the modern game is nothing like it used to be. For God's sake Dawson is no world beater, he is not exactly Shane Warne, yet he was made to look as if he was bowling grenades!! The modern day batsman does not seem to have any idea about playing a decent slow bowler. Due to the Blast and concentration on the white ball game, it has been noticeable how different even basic batting methods are nowadays. Sudharsan has a classic stance with the bat kept low and he plays the spinning ball late. The majority of our players hold the bat like a baseball bat and if they can't cope, then they just try and slog. One has to ask if Troughton and even Stewart himself (who was a class player and could play spin properly) discuss how to play a turning ball. We only needed 70 runs this morning with the whole day ahead. Clark, Overton, Worrall and even Roach can all bat so together with Sudharsan, they should have got those runs.

Let's hope Lawrence brings a bit of stability to the batting next season and it will be interesting to see if we revert to a class overseas batsman next year. We have so missed a Sangakharra or Amla this year.

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:48 pm

Middlesex on for a great escape of Fulham 2008 proportions here.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:47 pm

RB wrote:Middlesex on for a great escape of Fulham 2008 proportions here.

Afraid not.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:53 pm

Hopefully Atkinson & Lawes will keep Improving next Season.Don’t think Atkinson is ready for International Cricket on a Regular Basis and he will play plenty for Surrey. Definitely Required 1 or 2 overseas Bowlers like last season I Reckon we might’ve seen the Best of Worrall. Dan Lawerence will be like a overseas signing and if he plays International it maybe at the Expense of Pope so it shouldn’t hinder us too much.

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next