Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'We want Oval Invincibles rebranded as Surrey – we must embrace The Hundred'

+2
guildfordbat
SimonH
6 posters

Go down

'We want Oval Invincibles rebranded as Surrey – we must embrace The Hundred' Empty 'We want Oval Invincibles rebranded as Surrey – we must embrace The Hundred'

Post by SimonH Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:12 pm

The new Surrey Chair is going to screw us over.

Telegraph interview here:
https://archive.is/ZFRBI

LinkedIn profile is here:
https://t.co/AdAL3GLMVC

Background in investment, digital sports content, marketing, and so on.

Of course he loves the Hundred.

SimonH

guildfordbat and Wokoval like this post

Back to top Go down

'We want Oval Invincibles rebranded as Surrey – we must embrace The Hundred' Empty Re: 'We want Oval Invincibles rebranded as Surrey – we must embrace The Hundred'

Post by guildfordbat Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:58 pm

Before spouting off to The Telegraph, it might have been an idea for the Surrey Chairman to have sought the views of the Surrey members.

guildfordbat

SimonH, offdrive4, Pink Panther, VicNorth and Wokoval like this post

Back to top Go down

'We want Oval Invincibles rebranded as Surrey – we must embrace The Hundred' Empty Re: 'We want Oval Invincibles rebranded as Surrey – we must embrace The Hundred'

Post by adelaide Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:43 am

guildfordbat wrote:Before spouting off to The Telegraph, it might have been an idea for the Surrey Chairman to have sought the views of the Surrey members.

I haven't quite worked out whether Mr Slipper is throwing eight to ten counties under the bus or all other seventeen.

"Eight to ten" because the idea of a non-franchised county being able to get promoted and compete with a franchise county is surely absurd, so what is the point of a second division? It seems like a not particularly well disguised version of the old chestnut of reducing the number of counties. I'm also confused about letting MCC actually own half a franchise when they are involved in running the game; I'm taking it as read that Middlesex would not be considered the host county at Lord's.

"Seventeen" because only one county could afford to retain their share of the franchise. Also curious as to how a Surrey franchise would work; would it only use Surrey players and overseas players?

I note that Mr Slipper is "executive chair of Pitch International, a media rights company that buys and sells broadcast deals across cricket and other sports, acting for six out of the 12 Test playing nations. Isn't that a conflict of interest?

Of course Surrey has to put its own interests first but I would have thought its own interests would require continuation of seventeen counties potentially competing on an even footing. Mr Slipper just remembers at the4 end to pay lip service to the County Championship but every other word in the interview seems to undermine it.

It would be very childish of me to point out that an extra y in each of his names would (with a bit of rearrangement in one case) give you two words that sum up everything about the Hundred and the people who bring it to you, a group which now seems to include Messrs Thompson and Gould. Oh damn it, IU have just pointed it out.

adelaide

SimonH, Chinaman, Pink Panther and Wokoval like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:30 am

Good piece Adelaide. I told you the two Dicks have no interest in the County Game, and this franchise nonsense seems to support that. The only thing I'd say is that it's almost too complicated to actually work, I mean Adelaide is struggling in the nicest possible way! Is this because they can't sell the 100 franchise Internationaly? Cricket really is going down the pan - like the Country. We need people who actually love the game in charge, not these ex bankers and finance creeps selling its soul for a buck. I wonder how many members know we have a new Chair called Mr Slippery? I didn't until now. Says a lot doesn't it.

Chinaman

SimonH, Slipstream and Wokoval like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:55 am

Conflict of interests, yes.

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:46 pm

Not sure Who elected him Chairman in the first place as he was heavily involved in with the invincibles ,so his views are not surprising. Why then was he elected? and who were the other candidates. Seems the members should certainly been involved!

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonH Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:22 pm

dougieginn wrote:  Not sure Who elected him Chairman in the first place as he was heavily involved in with the invincibles ,so his views are not surprising. Why then was he elected? and who were the other candidates. Seems the members should certainly been involved!

I think Slipper has been co-opted on to the GC as interim Chair, and members will (presumably) get a vote to confirm him as Chair next year.

SimonH

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down