Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lancs away

+19
Peter.M.Gardens
Jhe10077
VicNorth
Steve
adelaide
guildfordbat
RB
Chinaman
VauxhallRey
Badges
dougieginn
Alex!
kjb
MatthewC
Admin
Benmug
David W
Sir Winston Churchill
Coatesy
23 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Lancs away Empty Lancs away

Post by Steve Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:44 pm

Well our first game of the CC is looming. What do you guys expect the team to be. It wont really matter as it always rains at Old Trafford so it will be a draw
but bonus points could be crucial.

Burns
Sibley
Pope
Lawrence
Foakes
Smith
Clark
Lawes
Atkinson
Roach
Worrall

Wont need Steel as Lawrence can bowl spin if needed.

Steve

Jackers and David W like this post

Back to top Go down

Lancs away Empty Re: Lancs away

Post by Jackers Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:58 pm

That's the team I would pick if everyone that we assume to be available is. The bowlers will likely all be rested/rotated in the weeks to come, but we need to go with what I think is  our strongest available team against the one side which have had our measure in head-to-heads in the last couple of years. I'd bat Smith above Foakes, but that's a small quibble
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:59 pm

It wouldnt surprise me if Steel played ahead of Lawes or Overton given his ton there last season.

Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Coatesy Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:50 am

The fact that the team picked by Steve doesnt include Overton or Steel (as well as those away elsewhere) shows what a good squad we have.

As far as I can see the squad hasnt been officially announced yet, but I would imagine it would be the XI picked by Steve, along with Patel, Steel and Overton. Lots of options

Coatesy

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:52 am

Steve wrote:It wouldnt surprise me if Steel played ahead of Lawes or Overton given his ton there last season.

We have to impress on our top 6 to get the majority of our runs this season and not expect the lower order to double the score seemingly every single 1st Innings. (opener at Lancs last season we were 4-77 and 5-164 when Steel came in at 7 and finished on 442 all out)

Our XI at Old Trafford last season:

Rory Burns (c)
Dom Sibley 
Ollie Pope 
Ryan Patel (swap for Dan Lawrence)
Ben Foakes †
Jamie Smith 
Cameron Steel 
Jordan Clark 
Sean Abbott (Gus Atkinson)
Kemar Roach 
Daniel Worrall 

Lawrence in for Patel, and then we have the choice of Atkinson, Overton or Lawes to replace Abbott and/or Steel. Do we necessarily need a 5th seamer? I think I'd go with raw pace of Atkinson and keep Steel in there.

Steel was given a fair opportunity for batting in the 2 rain affected friendlies so I'd imagine he's in the plans.

---

Match Centre (Lancs Website)

On Lancs Forum:

1)  "For anybody planning on attending the Surrey game the wicket appears to be heavily over to the A Stand/B Stand/New grey building side." = Wicket 15 if that means anything

2) Its going to rain a lot

3) Wood, Salt, Buttler, Livingstone unavailable as playing in IPL. Jimmy Anderson and Oval Invincibles Saqib Mahmood not likely to be playing

4) Probable 13 Man squad -
Jennings, Wells, Bohannon, Bruce, Bell, Balderson, Hurst, Aspinwall, Bailey, Williams, Lyon, Hartley, Boyden

Last edited by Peter.M.Gardens on Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Winston Churchill Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:19 pm

It’s 1-15pm yet the squad news for the game is not on the website. I’m wondering if I ought to give Surrey a ring to let them know we have a match tomorrow just in case they have forget about it !!
Sir Winston Churchill
Sir Winston Churchill

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:21 pm

Anyone going?

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:09 pm

VicNorth wrote:Anyone going?

Nope Lancs away 2601 Lancs away 2614
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Post by David W Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:19 pm

I know a few who are going but this is the only Championship game of the season I’m missing.
David W
David W

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:34 pm

Too risky weather wise.I'll probably do a day at Lord's.Should've been at Canterbury for the duration but can't go for reasons i won't bore you with.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Winston Churchill Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:48 pm

I can confirm that Surreys “Cricket Reuse” project is up and running as per the Kia Oval website!!!. Sadly  as at 2-45  no news on our impending game against Lancashire. Has the game been cancelled?!!!
Sir Winston Churchill
Sir Winston Churchill

Badges likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:52 pm

Badges

Sir Winston Churchill likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:05 pm

Due to other commitments I am unlikely to be doing any away games this season, but hope to get a few days in at the home games and keep an eye on You Tube. But I certainly wouldn't be doing Lancs away in early April. I don't dislike Old Trafford but you can keep Manchester I'm afraid. As a matter of interest shouldn't we have been at home for the first game anyway?

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:14 pm

Sir Winston Churchill wrote:I can confirm that Surreys “Cricket Reuse” project is up and running as per the Kia Oval website!!!. Sadly  as at 2-45  no news on our impending game against Lancashire. Has the game been cancelled?!!!

Just up:

https://www.kiaoval.com/lancashire-vs-surrey-preview/

R Burns (c)
D Sibley
O Pope
D Lawrence
J Smith
B Foakes (w)
J Clarke
C Steel
J Overton
T Lawes
C Roach

R Patel
M Dunn

So Gus and Frank W missing - but strong XI
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Sir Winston Churchill likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:25 pm

Surrey have named a 13-player squad for the opening Vitality County Championship match of the season.

Overseas player Kemar Roach is back in the country and goes into the squad for our opener.

Dan Worrall is unavailable due to neck issue, with Conor McKerr missing through a groin injury. As an ECB contracted player, Gus Atkinson is unavailable due to workload management.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Coatesy Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:43 pm

That is a strong XI, and with Stewie bigging up the batting ability of Lawes recently, bats along way down as well

as Gus is having his workload managed, not sure how much we are going to see of him this season. Hopefully the issue with Dan isnt too serious

Coatesy

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:44 pm

Gus aint played since the World Cup in November and his next England game could be the World Cup T20 in June!!! Not allowed to play what a load of bollocks! Who are the c**ts who make these awful decisions.

Steve

Badges, Sir Winston Churchill, VicNorth and Wokoval like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:46 pm

Coatesy wrote:That is a strong XI, and with Stewie bigging up the batting ability of Lawes recently, bats along way down as well

as Gus is having his workload managed, not sure how much we are going to see of him this season. Hopefully the issue with Dan isnt too serious

Atkinson's drink-carrying arms need the rest. Ridiculous.

adelaide

VicNorth and Wokoval like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:58 pm

Steve wrote:Gus aint played since the World Cup in November and his next England game could be the World Cup T20 in June!!!   Not allowed to play what a load of bollocks!  Who are the c**ts who make these awful decisions.

Surely Overton has played more, taking part in winter white ball stuff. Maybe ECB will let us play one or the other???

Hopefully Worralls injury isn't serious
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:00 pm

That England T20 World Cup squad come have an attack of Topley, Sam Curran, Overton and Atkinson, and perhaps a bit of spin from Jacks too.
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:29 pm

Good grief. Not a ball has been bowled yet, and we are already three of the seamers we were counting on down and with Jamie Overton an injury waiting to happen if he is ever overworked. The suggestion that we can afford to go without two overseas players is for the birds.

Last edited by Jackers on Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:34 pm

I can only assume Worrall's issue is minor and with the forecast it's not worth it

Either way, another excellent chance for Lawes to impress

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Post by Benmug Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:41 pm

Jackers wrote:Good grief. Not a ball has been bowled yet, and we are already three of the seamers we were counting on down and with Jamie Overton an injury waiting to happen if he is ever overworked. The suggeston that we can afford to go without two overseas players is for the birds.
that was my first thought. Deciding to go without one of two possible overseas is negligent and far too cocky. In fact our whole overseas strategy feels a bit of a shitshow. We haven’t bothered filling half the matches and those we have were with risky gambles Hardie/Abbott, who always possible would pull out.

Benmug

Jackers likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:54 pm

Give Matthew Dunn another go.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:35 am

Looking at the forecast for 4 days, looking like rain most mornings. So bat first and get max points if we can.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum