Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lancs away

+19
Peter.M.Gardens
Jhe10077
VicNorth
Steve
adelaide
guildfordbat
RB
Chinaman
VauxhallRey
Badges
dougieginn
Alex!
kjb
MatthewC
Admin
Benmug
David W
Sir Winston Churchill
Coatesy
23 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Lancs away - Page 5 Empty Re: Lancs away

Post by Jhe10077 Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:57 pm

Whatever happened to the CC Champions vs MCC match pre season

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:09 pm

The season starts so early now, you'd have to play it in warmer climes. The last one I remember was in Dubai ahead of the 2019 season. I think it was Jamie Smith's first-class debut and he made a hundred against an attack including Sam Cook, Stuart Broad and Dom Bess, while Ollie Pope made 251. Lawrence and Sibley were in the MCC team. I don't remember there being one since the reign of COVID John.
Jackers
Jackers

RB likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:50 pm

What a complete waste of time.

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:51 pm

Quickly changing the subject: if you have U tube check out the NASA feed of the total eclipse due about 7.08pm our time in Mexico. 4minutes totality. Better than the cricket!

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:22 pm

Jhe10077 wrote:Whatever happened  to the CC Champions vs MCC match pre season

/this sport/this country?

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:02 pm

Did the Bob Willis Trophy replace it, didn't that come in in 2020 and 2021, went to 2 of the days to see Warwickshire beat Lancashire at Lords. Dom Sibley was playing for Warwicks in quite a one sided match. Lancs bowled out for 78, Warwickshire got 500+, then bowled Lancs out for 240 to win by an innings.

Last edited by Peter.M.Gardens on Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:21 pm

Probably down to availability of players with all the Franchise Cricket now going on all over the World.

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:58 pm

I know Sussex had a few matches out in India pre-sason and Durham went on tour of Zimbabwe and played Zimbabwe A.

Maybe that it is the way to get a bit of practice in, in warm weather, rather than have a heated marquee on the outfield.
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Post by John Hamilton Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:35 pm

Perfect solution-get The Hundred out the way in April. We can the. Have County and International cricket from May until September.

John Hamilton

Jackers and Sir Winston Churchill like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:56 am

John Hamilton wrote:Perfect solution-get The Hundred out the way in April. We can the. Have County and International cricket from May until September.

March, surely? It'll be fine if they use the Kookaburra ball.

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:55 am

VicNorth wrote:
John Hamilton wrote:Perfect solution-get The Hundred out the way in April. We can the. Have County and International cricket from May until September.

March, surely? It'll be fine if they use the Kookaburra ball.

If you have it over Christmas and the New Year it will maximise attendance (and hypothermia of spectators).

Chinaman

Keith Powell, Sir Winston Churchill and Wokoval like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wokoval Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:40 am

Turning back to the MCC v Champion county match the last one was in 2019 when Jamie Smith made a century on debut. It was scheduled for 2020 but then Covid struck and it has not been played since and I doubt that we will see it return. I suppose it was the equivalent of the Community ( formerly Charity) shield in football. Since moving away from Lord’s it has been played in the Middle East apart from one year in Barbados. When played at Lord’s unfortunately it was often a bit of a damp squib. Personally, I would welcome its return to Lord’s but it needs to be promoted and carefully scheduled. It could serve as a Test trial perhaps. More meaningful than a First Class Counties XI v West Indies at Beckenham for goodness sake which is what we have this season.

Wokoval

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:18 am

But you have the IPL March to May during the days - and in afternoons/evenings the end of the Football season. So Sky don't need anything else on the schedules.

Plus the Hundred in on during school summer holidays so we have loads of family fun.

I think we are screwed!  Sad
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:47 am

RB wrote:The umpires have deprived Sussex of a win by declaring bad light despite two spinners bowling.

Even if Sussex had got the last wicket with the next ball, Northants would have used their quickest bowlers and they would have been off for light immediately. "Deprived of a minimal chance of winning" would be more accurate.

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by optimistnot Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:28 pm

We have 1pt less than we had last April after playing Lancs in the first game of the season, it will be more difficult now to win the championship again.

optimistnot

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:40 pm

We've had some excellent seam-bowling coaches in recent years: Geoff Arnold, Ryan Sidebottom, Azhar. It can be no coincidence that the Currans (remember them?), Atkinson and Lawes have come through the production line and flourished. Jamie Overton's mum told me how much of an impact Jamie felt Azhar had had on his bowling since joining Surrey.

I do slightly worry that the well may be running dry, and while we currently have a formidable crop of seamers at our disposal, the picture may not look as rosy in a couple of years if Atkinson and Lawes are under central contracts and the likes of Clark, Overton and Worrall are getting a little long in the tooth. Let's hope there is some succession planning in place.

Also...why "with immediate effect"? Are coaches not under contract, and if so are they not required to give say 3 months' notice? I'm guessing that we were so desperate to get Azhar on board that we allowed him an immediate get-out clause...but it couldn't be invoked at a worse time of the year for us.
(Sorry: meant to post on the "Azhar" thread)
Jackers
Jackers

Pink Panther likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum