Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lancs away

+19
Peter.M.Gardens
Jhe10077
VicNorth
Steve
adelaide
guildfordbat
RB
Chinaman
VauxhallRey
Badges
dougieginn
Alex!
kjb
MatthewC
Admin
Benmug
David W
Sir Winston Churchill
Coatesy
23 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Lancs away - Page 4 Empty Re: Lancs away

Post by guildfordbat Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:57 pm

Chinaman wrote:What a complete waste of time this round of the Championship is. Two games haven't even started and all the others will be drawn. The ECB need shooting for prioritising crisp packet instant gratification 100 ball nonsense and stuffing up the proper game. It's wrong and does nothing for cricket or player development. Let's just add a bit of 'elf and safety wokery to finish it off. What a bloody shit show.

China - I'm with you on the main points there although suspect there'll be a winner between Notts and Essex, probably the latter.

guildfordbat

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:37 pm

No time lost so far at Lord's but less than one wicket per session and fewer overall than at Old Trafford in a day or so!. Nothing in it for the bowlers. The age old question - is an April bunsen worse than a motorway? If the Old Trafford pitch would be acceptable in August then it must be acceptable in April too, regardless of what you might normally expect of April conditions. If Steel and Lawrence took 9 out of 10 it sounds like Taunton when they tested the rules to destruction - but is it?

Obviously the north west has been very unlucky but there have been Aprils when the weather has been consistently good and runs have been scored. Usually followed by rubbish Mays and Junes.

adelaide

dougieginn, MatthewC and Andy1210 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:31 pm

Kookaburra ball not helping, I suspect.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:17 pm

Must be so depressing living in Manchester. Absolute toilet of a place. Rains a lot I would be on a high dose of prozac.

Steve

MatthewC likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:27 pm

Steve wrote:Must be so depressing living in Manchester. Absolute toilet of a place. Rains a lot I would be on a high dose of prozac.

You need to get to Homobloc.

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:42 pm

Hearing on Radio 5 Sports Extra, Essex could face a points Deduction Khushi their young found to be playing with a illegal size Bat.It was taken away and found to be oversized. Apparently Durham got 10 points from a similar incident a few years ago.

Jhe10077

RB likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:55 pm

Young Batsman

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:31 am

Jhe10077 wrote:Hearing on Radio 5 Sports Extra, Essex could face a points Deduction Khushi their young found to be playing with a illegal size Bat.It was taken away and found to be oversized. Apparently Durham got 10 points from a similar incident a few years ago.

So a good first round of matches for us, if everyone draws.

Our supposed biggest rivals Lancashire and Durham could both draw their opening match at home without getting any bonus points.

We have the full 3 bowling points so far.

After 3 Days:

Lancashire 202 (0 points)
Surrey 15-0 (3 points)

Durham v Hampshire - no play at all

Kent 284 (3 points)
Somerset 374-7 (6 points)

Essex 253 and 329-8 (4 points)
Notts 293 (4 points)

Worcs 360 & 237-2 (6 points)
Warwicks 333 (5 points)

Would be nice to get up to 300 and another couple of points today, could be equal top of the table if we get to 350.
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

RB likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:42 am

What’s the Bonus Point Total for Drawing this Season hasn’t it been Revised?

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:53 am

Jhe10077 wrote:What’s  the Bonus Point Total for Drawing this Season hasn’t it been Revised?

8 points.

Championship scoring system
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Post by VauxhallRey Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:06 am

Every chance of a result at Trent Bridge.
VauxhallRey
VauxhallRey

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:56 am

VauxhallRey wrote:Every chance of a result at Trent Bridge.

Our match start delayed, so i'm guessing no chance of us reaching 250 runs, so hopefully lots of rain so Lancs get no bowling points!

Derbyshire match abandoned - waterlogged outfield, and Durham match likely to be abandoned too without a ball being bowled.
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Post by VauxhallRey Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:08 am

Might be an idea to schedule the first games of the season (if they are going to be so early) further south. Old Trafford and Durham highly unlikely to host results.
VauxhallRey
VauxhallRey

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:19 am

VauxhallRey wrote:Might be an idea to schedule the first games of the season (if they are going to be so early) further south. Old Trafford and Durham highly unlikely to host results.

Yes I'd agree. But really although I don't want to reduce the CC, I'd question that there is little point in playing 4 day games in the first two weeks of April. No good for the players, no good for the spectators, no good for the game. If we didn't have a situation with no cricket in Aug, and I don't consider the 100 cricket, we could start around April 20th and play two games in August. Sadly that's not the case. In saying that, as I speak, looking ok for Friday.😀

Chinaman

Jackers and Wokoval like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:20 am

The issue is that the season should start two weeks later (which means creating space to do so).

One thing that I have long advocated to reduce the unfairness of bad weather "following teams around", which it can often do, is to leave the standard number of points for a drawn game at 4, as was the case last season, but to award 8 points for a draw to both sides in any game where the equivalent of a day or more's play has been lost across the match. It can never be an exact science, but it would at least recognise situations where teams have not had the same opportunity as others to collect bonus points, let alone contemplate a positive result.
Jackers
Jackers

dougieginn and MatthewC like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:44 am

Chinaman wrote:
VauxhallRey wrote:Might be an idea to schedule the first games of the season (if they are going to be so early) further south. Old Trafford and Durham highly unlikely to host results.

Yes I'd agree. But really although I don't want to reduce the CC, I'd question that there is little point in playing 4 day games in the first two weeks of April. No good for the players, no good for the spectators, no good for the game. If we didn't have a situation with no cricket in Aug, and I don't consider the 100 cricket, we could start around April 20th and play two games in August. Sadly that's not the case. In saying that, as I speak, looking ok for Friday.😀

Its lucky Gus Atkinson didn't travel up to Manchester, he'd be absolutely exhausted with the next England one day fixture just 44 days away.
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Jason, VicNorth and VauxhallRey like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewC Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:25 pm

Interestingly, in the BBC live text it's been mentioned that there have only been two previous total washouts at Chester-le-Street, both of which were in July and August.

Regardless, cricket in Durham in early April (or late September) does seem a little optimistic.

MatthewC

Jackers and Chinaman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Winston Churchill Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:13 pm

One thing Ive never understood is the policy of not having a fixture twice a season. It can be perfect weather but for some daft reason they give teams a round off!! It’s bonkers and if dispensed with would allow the season to be better planned. I cannot think for a second that professional crickets really need a break during what is a fairly short season.
Sir Winston Churchill
Sir Winston Churchill

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:19 pm

Sir Winston Churchill wrote:One thing Ive never understood is the policy of not having a fixture twice a season. It can be perfect weather but for some daft reason they give teams a round off!! It’s bonkers and if dispensed with would allow the season to be better planned. I cannot think for a second that professional crickets really need a break during what is a fairly short season.

For some of our cricketers on our payroll, the English domestic season is their break from cricket, inbetween playing cricket in South Africa, Australia, Abu Dhabi, India and the Carribean.
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

MatthewC likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:45 pm

Peter.M.Gardens wrote:
Sir Winston Churchill wrote:One thing Ive never understood is the policy of not having a fixture twice a season. It can be perfect weather but for some daft reason they give teams a round off!! It’s bonkers and if dispensed with would allow the season to be better planned. I cannot think for a second that professional crickets really need a break during what is a fairly short season.

For some of our cricketers on our payroll, the English domestic season is their break from cricket, inbetween playing cricket in South Africa, Australia, Abu Dhabi, India and the Carribean.

And the USA!!

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:47 pm

"Cricket".

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:26 pm

And a draw

At the end of the day I don't blame the ground staff at all, but more the idea of playing cricket at the start of April in one of the wettest parts of the country. Really wouldn't be against starting the season with the 50 over stuff

Alex!

Jackers, Keith Powell, Chinaman, RB and Pink Panther like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wokoval Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:00 pm

There is some talk that the first matches of the season be played at the southern grounds. Not a guarantee as we have had a lot of rain as well and don’t see why we should suffer. It can be chilly to very cold as well at this time of year. The problem, as ever, is the schedule. Until the ECB schedule more Championship games in June, July and August this situation is likely to continue. Once again we are suffering because of the Hundred.

Wokoval

Jackers and Keith Powell like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:55 pm

Barbados or Antigua would do nicely.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:38 pm

The umpires have deprived Sussex of a win by declaring bad light despite two spinners bowling.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum