Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One Day Cup

+23
RB
Ray AFCW
Bhambrownhatter
offdrive4
oldboy65
Keith Powell
dougieginn
Badges
Alex!
guildfordbat
The Red Rooster
Sir Winston Churchill
Coatesy
Pink Panther
adelaide
John Hamilton
Basileus1453
kjb
paultpm
cowcorner
Olympian2
Admin
Cee Gee
27 posters

Page 2 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Go down

One Day Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: One Day Cup

Post by Alex! Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:49 pm

Patel's decline is just...sad

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Post by cowcorner Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:51 pm

Chinaman wrote:Our old mate Matt Pillians in the Yorkshire squad. Hope he doesn't get a 5 for!

Sad
cowcorner
cowcorner

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:26 pm

This was my first time watching Reifer, but kind of what I expected from the reading about him.

Not sure how he's not been playing T20 for us instead of someone like Burns...

Alex!

John Hamilton, Cee Gee and Pink Panther like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:39 pm

cowcorner wrote:
Chinaman wrote:Our old mate Matt Pillians in the Yorkshire squad. Hope he doesn't get a 5 for!

Sad

Didn't think he would!

Good start, good performance from our 3rd ish (?) team.

Guildford Tuesday is sold out to non members. Get their early.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:54 pm

Very pleased with that performance. Onward and upward, despite the many obstacles we face.
Jackers
Jackers

John Hamilton likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:56 pm

Surprisingly Jamie Smith is the only one to have played all 24 possible competitive games so far.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Basileus1453 Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:03 pm

Good start to campaign. Missed the bowling from Surrey but Stoneman did well with some others chipping in as required.

Looking forward to getting the days off to watch these one day matches. Not certain about Guildford though.

Basileus1453

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:15 pm

Question about Guildford: does anyone know if the 'free' parking is still available at Guildford College on the Stoke Road, about 15 minutes' walk from the ground? I last took the car a few years ago, but given the need to get there early next week to bag a decent seat I would like to do so again if parking is possible. I imagine there are places you can pay for all-day parking, but no idea how expensive they would be and more to the point I don't fancy trying to drive into the town centre at around 9.30am.

Last edited by Jackers on Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:19 pm

Jackers wrote:Question about Guildford: does anyone know if the 'free' parking is still available at Guildford College on the Stoke Road, about 15 minutes' walk from the ground? I last took the car a few years ago, but given the need to get there early next week to bag a decent seat I would like to do so again if parking is possible.

Yes it is. I checked with the college two weeks back. They have broken up already for holidays. Always best to get their a bit early.

The alternative is the Park & Ride at the Leisure Centre. Costs about £2 return to the bus station.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Powell Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:03 pm

Chinaman wrote:
cowcorner wrote:

Sad

Didn't think he would!

Good start, good performance from our 3rd ish (?) team.

Guildford Tuesday is sold out to non members. Get their early.
Haven't seen anything about numbers being allowed in on Tuesday and I'm a member?

Keith Powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:01 pm

I presume it won't be a problem as you can now have full capacity. Bear in mind though Guildford capacity is around 2000 unless they put an extra stand in.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by John Hamilton Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:57 am

Alex! wrote:Jamie Smith sprinting 40 odd yards behind him and taking a grab like that. So glad he decided to turn down offers for the new thing and play 50 over cricket. Brilliant talent.

Did jamie Smith turn down the Hundred or are you being sarcy?

John Hamilton

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:58 am

cowcorner wrote:
RB wrote:Nico Rosberg is the 30th player we’ve used this year.

My Excel sheet doesn’t have room for any more...!

And surely the first ex Formula 1 world champion to play for Surrey ?

Having consistently made that mistake for over a year now (it's surprisingly easy to do), I think I shall just refer to Mr Reifer as "Nico Rosberg" from now on...

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:58 am

John Hamilton wrote:
Alex! wrote:Jamie Smith sprinting 40 odd yards behind him and taking a grab like that. So glad he decided to turn down offers for the new thing and play 50 over cricket. Brilliant talent.

Did jamie Smith turn down the Hundred or are you being sarcy?

No, he did turn the H*ndred down. After the Blast group stage each H*ndred side was allowed to select a "wildcard" based on this year's Blast performances, but Smith apparently rejected the offer.

RB

John Hamilton likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by John Hamilton Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:02 am

Alex! wrote:This was my first time watching Reifer, but kind of what I expected from the reading about him.

Not sure how he's not been playing T20 for us instead of someone like Burns...

Or Geddes..Reifer looked the part straight away and seems to have bags of natural ability and strength.

Geddes so has looked a bag of nerves and Burns is so far from being a T20 player it’s not funny.

John Hamilton

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:10 am

Just woke up and seen that the weather forecast has completely changed for next week, and not for the better. Thundery showers predicted all day on Tuesday.

Unless it changes again before then, I won't be going to Guildford. It isn't like The Oval - there isn't a lot to do there when it rains.
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:17 am

Yes there's no shelter and it's not the best ground to be stuck in with no cricket.

Last edited by Chinaman on Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:02 am

This is why I never book train tickets to Guildford in advance. Here's to hoping anyway...

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:13 am

I have never been to Guildford and I feel that, like a religious pilgrimage, it is something I should do although I suspect I may not like it when I'm there!

Having said that, however, I think I might swerve Tuesday given it's meant to be wetter than a haddock's bathing costume...

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:05 am

Weather looking better if you believe the forecasts, possibly light showers now from 3pm.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:05 am

I enjoyed going to Guildford for many years but sadly not any more.Why on earth did they stop using that long stand down one side of the ground? It seated a few thousand but they replaced it with a line of individual chairs placed on the dusty ground.There is no legroom in that small "corner" stand and the ground level deckchair area has a constant stream of idiots walking past during play.Removing the big stand also meant removing the main area to shelter if it rained.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:28 pm

Badges wrote:I enjoyed going to Guildford for many years but sadly not any more.Why on earth did they stop using that long stand down one side of the ground? It seated a few thousand but they replaced it with a line of individual chairs placed on the dusty ground.There is no legroom in that small "corner" stand and the ground level deckchair area has a constant stream of idiots walking past during play.Removing the big stand also meant removing the main area to shelter if it rained.

I've never been to Guildford for cricket so I'm probably talking out of the wrong orifice even more than usual. Was that a temporary stand, perhaps?

For a few years matches at Southgate saw temporary stands brought in for the week (or whatever) but they were sponsored by Russell Grant, whose passions extend beyond astrology to cricket and enthusiasm for bringing back the county of Middlesex. Clearly they would have lost money without the sponsorship. Would that also be true at Guildford?

It's also pretty obvious that the economics of a temporary stand are improved if you have several matches in quick succession at an outground. Just doing it for one day, or for two days a fortnight apart, would be even costlier.

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:33 pm

With respect to Southgate (which was a lovely place to watch cricket - I lived there for a couple of years) Guildford is a very different kettle of fish.

Surrey made a statement of intent to throw money at it a few years back. It was trumpeted as our new "home from home", and was one reason given for dashing the hopes of the signifcant number of us who hoped that a rapprochement with Whitgift might mean that our annual visits there were restored.  

The trouble is, the money thrown at Guildford was of little benefit to members or spectators (apart from some nicer loos behind the pavillion). There were no additional stands built, nor any part of the shiny new pavillion which we could access in bad weather. So I don't think economics are the issue, just misguided priorities (it's becoming a bit of a recurring theme with our club!).

Last edited by Jackers on Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jackers
Jackers

Badges likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:39 pm

No it wasn't a temporary stand. They just took it out. There used to be a high one on the right of the Pavillion, for one day games. Now it's just the corner stand and chairs. I wouldn't think capacity now is even 2000 so get there early. If you sit on the road side it's bloody noisy, the view is not particularly good anywhere, there is no shelter if it rains, and well I could go on. Basically one of the least attractive out grounds in the country.

Chinaman

Badges likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:15 pm

Jackers wrote:With respect to Southgate (which was a lovely place to watch cricket - I lived there for a couple of years)

Indeed it is, unless you are at the Waterfall Road end when they're ringing the church bells!

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum