Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rocky joins Middlesex

+16
guildfordbat
Jackers
Olympian2
John Hamilton
Coatesy
Badges
Wobbler
dougieginn
kjb
adelaide
offdrive4
Cee Gee
RB
Keith Powell
Alex!
Pieandapint
20 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Rocky joins Middlesex Empty Rocky joins Middlesex

Post by Pieandapint Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:21 pm

https://www.kiaoval.com/main-news/stoneman-leaves-surrey-to-join-middlesex/

Bring your pads and a bat and you might get a game

Pieandapint

Back to top Go down

Rocky joins Middlesex Empty Re: Rocky joins Middlesex

Post by Alex! Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:22 pm

This has seemingly come out of nowhere, considering he was always in the XI for Championship cricket

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Powell Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:27 pm

Sounds like problems behind the scenes.?

Keith Powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Powell Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:29 pm

On cricinfo said he wants to play all forms championship ODC and T20

Keith Powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:30 pm

Wow, that is a huge shock. If he were going to go anywhere, I would have assumed it would have been following Scott Borthwick back to Durham.

In truth, despite his century yesterday, he has been rather frustrating in recent seasons after such a wonderful first two years with us. Too many flashy 20s and more than his fair share of single figure scores. Apparently he had to contend with personal challenges which put some of that prolonged patchy form into perspective.

The problem is that we are desperately short at the top of the order, especially when Rory Burns is away with England.  I am not sure how we are going to cover this loss. Is Amla, at 39, going to be back next year? With all due respect to Ryan Patel's recent form in the devalued 50-over tournament, I don't believe he necessarily commands a regular opener spot in a strong side any more than Arun Harinath ever did.

Adelaide's view of the signing will be interesting: I would imagine he is delighted, as their batting is particularly fragile. While this isn't quite the same as Ramprakash joining us two decades ago, it is something of a coup for them.

Last edited by Jackers on Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:28 pm; edited 5 times in total
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:34 pm

I suppose I don't blame him, considering he's 34 and they've given him a 3 year deal, seemingly with some assurances he'd be a 3 format player. Could possibly also be that they've pushed the panic button after letting Nick Gubbins leave them.

As for who now opens, may as well get the mystery ball out...

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:37 pm

Ryan Patel will surely have a permanent spot in the side now.

What is happening with this club? Ever since winning the championship in 2018 nothing has gone right for us.

RB

dougieginn and Pink Panther like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:37 pm

Will Macpherson in the Standard has said that we only offered him 1 year.

Cee Gee

Back to top Go down

Post by offdrive4 Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:46 pm

Stoneman was a very decent county opener, probably not suited to T20, seems like a decent guy too. Not sure how we replace him, Patel might do the job. Smith has the right sort of temperament and technique, but too much to ask if he is keeping too. Time to look round the counties I think.

offdrive4

Jackers likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:09 pm

Well that came out of the blue, particularly as Middlesex haven't signed anyone from another county since Mike Selvey (ok, James Fuller).

Gubbins was offered 1 year (along with Harris and several others) and went to Hampshire with a longer deal, to be replaced by the (older) Stoneman who was offered 1 year by Surrey and went to Middlesex for a longer deal.

I think there was more to Gubbins leaving, as he saw his career being stymied by the poor quality Lord's pitches. I don't think Middlesex has been a very happy ship since 2017 either.

I don't think anyone is overwhelmed but I'm hoping it works out better than the last left handed opener Middlesex signed from Surrey. Stoneman is certainly a better fielder!

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by kjb Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:15 pm

I'm hoping it works out better than the last left handed opener Middlesex signed from Surrey. Stoneman is certainly a better fielder![/quote]

That won't be difficult!

kjb

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:57 pm

offdrive4 wrote:Stoneman was a very decent county opener, probably not suited to T20, seems like a decent guy too.   Not sure how we replace him, Patel might do the job.   Smith has the right sort of temperament and technique, but too much to ask if he is keeping too.   Time to look round the counties I think.

Reported on the Club site yesterday that Patel and Jacks have agreed new contracts. However, no mention of their length. Unsure if that's down to sloppy or evasive reporting.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:36 pm

Despite Stoneman's very best form having been in his first two years with us, his departure is still a big blow. A canny signing by Middlesex. Especially as he is unlikely to be lost to his county in parts of future seasons to England, the Hundred or world wide T20 tournaments. Any replacement is unlikely to be both so good and so available.

If what Macpherson is apparently reporting - and he usually is right - that it boiled down to the length of contract, this is something we've got very wrong.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:50 pm

Yet another thing Stewart has got wrong!!

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbler Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:29 pm

Cameron Steel
Ben Geddes

Both openers.

Just saying.

Can’t be long before we get all or most of Burns, Pope and Curran back from their England contracts - I wouldn’t put money on any of them being in the Test side in 12 months’ time.

I think we can survive the loss of Stoneman. If you look down the list of Surrey’s chequebook signings from other counties, it is hard to see too much long-term value there. If the chequebook is coming out again, I would probably aim it overseas.

Wobbler

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:00 pm

We have the option of two overseas now,we should go for an opener, especially if Amla finishes this season!!

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbler Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:06 pm

What potential opening-bat run-machines spring to mind? Finch? Warner? Latham? Conway?

Wobbler

Back to top Go down

Post by kjb Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:36 pm

Won't there be a restriction of one overseas player for next season in CC?
I thought the allowance of 2 this year was to compensate for the loss of Kolpaks

kjb

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:03 am

Whoever we get will come over,get injured and return home after a game or two.It never fails.................... Mad

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Coatesy Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:44 am

Wobbler wrote:Cameron Steel
Ben Geddes

Both openers.

Just saying.

Can’t be long before we get all or most of Burns, Pope and Curran back from their England contracts - I wouldn’t put money on any of them being in the Test side in 12 months’ time.

I think we can survive the loss of Stoneman.  If you look down the list of Surrey’s chequebook signings from other counties, it is hard to see too much long-term value there. If the chequebook is coming out again, I would probably aim it overseas.

Wobbler

we wont see Sam Curran. He will come out of the test squad (whenever that may be) be told to rest, then go to the IPL
Not sure we will see Burns either with the news that he retained his place in the England squad, and Sibley & Crawley have been released.
and as Pope has been selected for the squad of the next test, doubt we will see him either

However, I agree that Steel & Geddes can play there, as can Amla (if fit) Patel, Smith and Jacks

Coatesy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:22 am

We really need to stop imaging that we have this covered with our current resources. What evidence is there that Cameron Steel - who averages under 30 despite playing nearly all his first-class cricket in Division 2 - is good enough to be a regular opener in our championship side? What evidence have we seen that Ben Geddes is anywhere near ready to open in red ball cricket either - he is work in progress even as a young white-ball player. Neither of those options - or Ryan Patel in my opinion - are good enough to cover the gap left by Mark Stoneman, however frustratingly inconsistent he has been in recent years. Will Jacks - fabulous white ball player, and in red-ball cricket might be an asset coming in at 5 or 6, but only behind a reliable top-order. And then there is Amla - will he be here next year? Even if he is, he will be nearly 40.  

We need to recruit proven quality and experience (though not geriatrics!) in the top order. Think Joe Denly. Think Dawid Malan (yes, I know he has been called up for England, but he has been playing county cricket regularly). Think Sir Alistair Cook's opening partner Nick Browne who averages 38. Thnk Chris Dent - ditto. Think Lees of Durham. Then tell me you're happy with us settling for going into next season with a top order of Steel, Geddes and Patel. No, I thought not!
Jackers
Jackers

Badges likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Coatesy Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:29 am

Jackers, I agree in principle. Just to state that the players I mentioned in my last post were for the 4 games left this season. However, recruiting a top opener is now priority for next season, preferably a player who can play in all formats, or at least County and 50 over.

I also agree with all of the suggestions you have made, bar probably Malan as 1) he will with the England squad mostly and 2) I believe he has only played 1 4 day match all season)

Coatesy

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:33 am

Very very very very very disappointed in Stoneman.Thanks mate.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:42 am

Last edited by Badges on Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by John Hamilton Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:46 am

And the exodus continues (well sort of) Tim David has been called up by Southern Braves as a replacement...no chance we'll have him for the Royal London next year.

John Hamilton

Badges likes this post

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next