Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cameron Steel joins on loan with two year deal to follow

+6
Keith Powell
Badges
Jackers
dougieginn
Coatesy
Alex!
10 posters

Go down

Cameron Steel joins on loan with two year deal to follow Empty Cameron Steel joins on loan with two year deal to follow

Post by Alex! Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:32 am

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Cameron Steel joins on loan with two year deal to follow Empty Re: Cameron Steel joins on loan with two year deal to follow

Post by Coatesy Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:50 am

Does that mean we can field a team now for the RLC

I thought it was batsmen we were short of, not bowlers, esp spinners

Coatesy

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Cameron Steel joins on loan with two year deal to follow Empty Re: Cameron Steel joins on loan with two year deal to follow

Post by dougieginn Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:51 am

Seems to have some reasonable stats, hope he succeeds here. Been around though, we are his third county!

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:02 pm

I guess the best comparison we have to go on is the signing of Borthwick, a top-order batsman in his mid-20s from Durham who also offers leg-spin. The stats suggest he isn't as good a batsman, despite a career best of 224 when he was 21 (it was against Leicestershire - say no more!)  but is a more effective bowler, with a respectable f/c average around 30.

I hope it works out better for him here than it did for Scott.

First impressions are that I read this one right.......

Last edited by Jackers on Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:23 pm

A strange signing.I hope it works out well for him and us.Born in California! Saw him play for Hampshire Seconds against us at The Oval a few weeks ago.I've actually seen him play quite a few times but never realised he was even considered as a bowler.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:37 pm

At least he will be available to play for us in all three formats.Seems to have made it through so far without any injuries to speak of.Don't hold your breath...............

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Powell Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:40 pm

He will probably be told to rest by the ECB after a long journey down from Durham 😩🤔🤣

Keith Powell

Badges likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:42 pm

Jackers wrote:I guess the best comparison we have to go on is the signing of Borthwick, a top-order batsman in his mid-20s from Durham who also offers leg-spin. The stats suggest he isn't as good a batsman, despite a career best of 224 when he was 21 (it was against Leicestershire - say no more!)  but is a more effective bowler, with a respectable f/c average around 30.

Given the thousands of players each year who make their top scores against Surrey, it makes a nice change to see one against another team and shouldn’t be disparaged in anyway.

Same as badges, I had no idea he was a bowler either. Looks like he spent some time at Middx so I’m sure Adelaide will have a view.

Welcome to the club Cameron, big tip, don’t read this message board.

Cee Gee

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbler Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:15 pm

Wonder if it portends a move by. Rocky in the opposite direction...

Wobbler

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:05 pm

Cee Gee wrote:
Jackers wrote:I guess the best comparison we have to go on is the signing of Borthwick, a top-order batsman in his mid-20s from Durham who also offers leg-spin. The stats suggest he isn't as good a batsman, despite a career best of 224 when he was 21 (it was against Leicestershire - say no more!)  but is a more effective bowler, with a respectable f/c average around 30.

Given the thousands of players each year who make their top scores against Surrey, it makes a nice change to see one against another team and shouldn’t be disparaged in anyway.

Same as badges, I had no idea he was a bowler either. Looks like he spent some time at Middx so I’m sure Adelaide will have a view.

I don't know much about Steel. I don't think he ever played for Middlesex first team but it appears that he was given a squad number. I can see a story online which says that Middlesex released Steel because Nick Compton lost his central contract - in other words they couldn't afford to keep him. It looks as if he was originally signed as a leg spinner, which make sit surprising that he only has 21 first class wickets, something to bear in mind when comparing his bowling average with Borthwick's. I also found a story to the effect that he suffered the yips over a lengthy period and stopped bowling altogether for a time.

The oddity here is that (unless there was some English qualified malarkey) it appears that Steel had become surplus to requirements at Durham and was loaned out to Hampshire for a couple of months. where he formed an all American-born opening partnership with Ian Holland. I'm more used to Surrey signing players that their counties did not want to lose! If I had been asked a fortnight ago to draw up a list of the top fifty potential Surrey signings, he would not have been on it. That's no to say it won't work but it is a bit left field.

adelaide

Cee Gee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:02 am

adelaide wrote:
Cee Gee wrote:

I don't know much about Steel. I don't think he ever played for Middlesex first team but it appears that he was given a squad number. I can see a story online which says that Middlesex released Steel because Nick Compton lost his central contract - in other words they couldn't afford to keep him. It looks as if he was originally signed as a leg spinner, which make sit surprising that he only has 21 first class wickets, something to bear in mind when comparing his bowling average with Borthwick's. I also found a story to the effect that he suffered the yips over a lengthy period and stopped bowling altogether for a time.

The oddity here is that (unless there was some English qualified malarkey) it appears that Steel had become surplus to requirements at Durham and was loaned out to Hampshire for a couple of months. where he formed an all American-born opening partnership with Ian Holland. I'm more used to Surrey signing players that their counties did not want to lose! If I had been asked a fortnight ago to draw up a list of the top fifty potential Surrey signings, he would not have been on it. That's no to say it won't work but it is a bit left field.

Hi Adelaide - the increasing problem with signing players that counties do not want to lose is that they'll be lost much of the time anyway to a mix of central contracts, the Hundred, the expanding IPL and other overseas tournaments. To that extent (and even though I don't believe Surrey have planned well enough to cope with foreseeable absences as said on the t20 thread), I do have sympathy with Stewart & Co. concerning signings.

My guess is that Steel has been signed very much as a squad player to come into the side when more established regulars are unavailable and, unless he performs better than expectations, to drop out of the side without complaint (an uncomplaining nature is an important and necessary characteristic of a squad player) when such regulars become available again. That doesn't sound particularly thrilling for him or us but I think that's the reality of the situation and, in line with your final sentence, it might still work out well for everyone.

I would add that this view is possibly supported by Steel only being given a two year contract from the end of this season. 'Big' signings normally get handed a three or even a four year deal.

Last edited by guildfordbat on Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:45 am

guildfordbat wrote:
adelaide wrote:
Cee Gee wrote:

Hi Adelaide - the increasing problem with signing players that counties do not want to lose is that they'll be lost much of the time anyway to a mix of central contracts, the Hundred, the expanding IPL and other overseas tournaments. To that extent (and even though I don't believe Surrey have planned well enough to cope with foreseeable absences as said on the t20 thread), I do have sympathy with Stewart & Co. concerning signings.

My guess is that Steel has been signed very much as a squad player to come into the side when more established regulars are unavailable and, unless he performs better than expectations, to drop out of the side without complaint (an uncomplaining nature is an important and necessary characteristic of a squad player) when such regulars become available again. That doesn't sound particularly thrilling for him or us but I think that's the reality of the situation and, in line with your final sentence, it might still work out well for everyone.

I would add that this view is possibly supported by Steel only being given a two year contract from the end of this season. 'Big' signings normally get handed a three or even a four year deal.

Yes, I suppose the Hundred has made things worse, in that players who would not have had a sniff of England (it was nice to see Simpson get a cap through, whatever the circumstances) or IPL get spirited off for the 'Orrible 'Undred. It lo9oks like he's mainly a CC player though, which would not clash with the Hundred.

I suppose it's a matter of not expecting too much and then (perhaps) getting pleasantly surprised. Unlike Borthwick, whose track record led to high expectations not really fulfilled. I'd be surprised if Steel performs to the actual level that Borthwick did for Surrey but he's probably a heck of a lot cheaper.

Mind you, the concept of my county signing anyone from another county has become alien to me...

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:10 pm

I guess the best comparison we have to go on is the signing of Borthwick, a top-order batsman in his mid-20s from Durham who also offers leg-spin. The stats suggest he isn't as good a batsman, despite a career best of 224 when he was 21 (it was against Leicestershire - say no more!)  but is a more effective bowler, with a respectable f/c average around 30.

First impressions are that I read this one right.......
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:35 pm

I've seen him play for 4 different counties yet rarely seen him bowl.

Primarily a batsmen and out first go for 0

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down