Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Durham v Surrey…

+6
cricketman
Badges
adelaide
Chinaman
Jackers
Cee Gee
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Durham v Surrey… Empty Durham v Surrey…

Post by Cee Gee Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:53 pm

is off as a Surrey player has covid and most of the squad are self isolating.

Cee Gee

Back to top Go down

Durham v Surrey… Empty Re: Durham v Surrey…

Post by Jackers Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:21 pm

Covid John has just put the tin hat on the season from hell, just as Surrey are going all-out to hard sell 2022 memberships.

People have paid good money to go to Durham and Surrey are unable to field any sort of a team?

You couldn't make this up.
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:39 pm

Yes just phoned a colleague who was going and hadn't heard. I'm not clear on how long you have to self isolate, but if it's ten days, Northants will be affected. Was looking forward to one away trip, but might have to settle on my one day out to Derby! The Gods and the ECB have stuffed us.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:04 pm

Just checked it's ten days, and more if you develop symptoms. If they have been training at the Oval and England due there Thursday. Dear me.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:20 pm

The rules changed on August 16 so that people who are double jabbed are no longer legally required to self-isolate if they are identified as a close contact of a positive COVID-19 case.

Only one of the players has tested positive: are Surrey saying the rest have refused the vaccine?
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:28 pm

Jackers wrote:The rules changed on August 16 so that people who are double jabbed are no longer legally required to self-isolate if they are identified as a close contact of a positive COVID-19 case.

Only one of the players has tested positive: are Surrey saying the rest have refused the vaccine?

Might be a difference between the legal requirement and the ECB requirement? Or they may have had one but not two jabs.

When Middx v Glos was called off, neither side got points but the group was decided on points per match. Goodness knows what applies at this stage.

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:00 pm

I would think the majority have only had one jab, we are talking of those in their 20s, and I don't think they have double jabbed many of those yet.

Chinaman

RB likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:47 am

Brydon Carse has also tested positive

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by cricketman Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:36 am

Why not simply play it at same time as the Bob Willis Trophy game?

cricketman

Pink Panther likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:16 am

cricketman wrote:Why not simply play it at same time as the Bob Willis Trophy game?

This is the best solution - why not?

I suspect, in response to comments above, they haven’t had their second doses yet. Either that or ECB have their own rules over and above the government’s.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:25 am

Whatever the possible explanation...it stinks and once again underlines how little value the governing body place on the county championship.

Can you imagine an international match being cancelled because one player from each side had tested positive? Or a Hundred fixture? 

Surrey have fielded second-string sides most of the season. They are surely able to get 11 bodies on the pitch to represent the county even if it means raiding the Surrey League. And some in their 20s and 30s will certainly have had both doses (I personally know many in those age groups who have).

The eagerness to cancel what they clearly regard as an unimportant fixture is just one more thing on the litany of charges ahead of the members' forum.

Last edited by Jackers on Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jackers
Jackers

Hdicey777, Badges, John Hamilton, Chinaman and Pink Panther like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:17 pm

It’s typically shoddy to not have an explanation as to why this is different from the situation with Kent having to field a team full of Kent league players earlier in the season. Cricket doesn’t help itself.

Cee Gee

guildfordbat and Chinaman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:24 pm

Cee Gee wrote:It’s typically shoddy to not have an explanation as to why this is different from the situation with Kent having to field a team full of Kent league players earlier in the season. Cricket doesn’t help itself.

Well it didn't happen with the 100. I wonder if they would pull the whole Test side if one player was tested positive?

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:23 pm

Cee Gee wrote:It’s typically shoddy to not have an explanation as to why this is different from the situation with Kent having to field a team full of Kent league players earlier in the season. Cricket doesn’t help itself.

Two things I expect from our Club:

1. The management to be open and transparent;
2. The team (whoever is in it) to turn up and compete.

I don't consider that unreasonable or too demanding. Unfortunately now though, both of those expectations failing to be met.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:48 pm

Chinaman wrote:

Well it didn't happen with the 100. I wonder if they would pull the whole Test side if one player was tested positive?

The Test side, can, theoretically, pick from 300+ players…

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:27 am

cricketman wrote:Why not simply play it at same time as the Bob Willis Trophy game?

Surrey say that "the game will not go ahead" and the BBC say "postponed ", so I suppose it could be played later but the problem is apart from Div 1 in this idiotic conference system all the other games are meaningless as to who wins. But a game is a game I suppose. Doubt it will be rescheduled though.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by cricketman Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:37 am

On reflection, i imagine that rescheduling the game would scupper all those who have hollidays booked for after the season ends. Not just players but umpires, groundstaff, security, medical, coaches, caterers etc.

cricketman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:29 am

RB wrote:
Chinaman wrote:

But that is the point: if the ECB give themselves the right to plunder the counties in an emergency to backfill any absence in the England team, then the same logic should apply in respect of professional county sides and the First Division of the Surrey League. The ECB's contempt for the county game is an absolute given. What we should care about is how much effort did Surrey make trying to persuade them that we could  get a side out and should be allowed to play?
Jackers
Jackers

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:10 am

Jackers wrote:
RB wrote:
Chinaman wrote:

But that is the point: if the ECB give themselves the right to plunder the counties in an emergency to backfill any absence in the England team, then the same logic should apply in respect of professional county sides and the First Division of the Surrey League. The ECB's contempt for the county game is an absolute given. What we should care about is how much effort did Surrey make trying to persuade them that we could  get a side out and should be allowed to play?

I do wonder if we would have tried harder had this match been scheduled to take place at the Oval with several thousand Surrey members and supporters certain to attend.

I certainly have every sympathy for Durham members and supporters being denied a home match to watch. Even though one of their players (Carse) has covid, that doesn't seem to be a factor in the match not being played.

As an additional point (and I have no personal interest here), I trust Surrey will reimburse all reasonable travel and accomodation costs incurred by those planning to attend the match if they cannot obtain refunds.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ray AFCW Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:29 pm

Meanwhile at Lords, where there IS some cricket, Mark Stoneman got a three-ball 🦆 on his Middlesex debut…

Ray AFCW

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:17 pm

I can understand that the club didn't want to tell us who was the Covid case, but they could have told us who was non-covidded and unavailable (i.e. have our IPL players left, what's happening with Pope and Foakes, etc.).

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:58 am

I've just emailed the club asking when the deadline for confirmation of Sunday's v Northants game is. I'm intending to go and have accommodation booked at the moment which needs to be confirmed by Thursday or I'll be subject to loss of deposit. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't wait until Friday night.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:05 am

Article in the Times by Elizabeth Ammon saying they’ve been contacted by several counties querying the inconsistent application of the covid rules. It seems the only people who know the answer to why this game was called off and others had to go ahead aren’t keen on sharing.

Cee Gee

Back to top Go down

Post by cricketman Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:57 am

Second XI game v Kent also seems to have vanished without any explanation.

cricketman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:23 am

It's listed on the website and crikinfo at the moment. I presume if the seconds are going to play they should be able to make up a team for Sunday?

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next