Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glamorgan (H) - 21-24 Sep

+17
Sir Winston Churchill
cowcorner
Coatesy
guildfordbat
Gidren
paultpm
Howzat
Jedrich
Chinaman
Badges
Cee Gee
Jackers
Wobbler
Keith Powell
dougieginn
Alex!
RB
21 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Glamorgan (H) - 21-24 Sep - Page 5 Empty Re: Glamorgan (H) - 21-24 Sep

Post by Olympian2 Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:49 am

dougieginn wrote:On the subject of this wicket,there can be only be two reasons this pitch was prepared as a road, the Groundsman was instructed by the cricket management to prepare it that way, or the Groundsman was not capable of producing a bowler friendly pitch. As we know that he has produced good cricket pitches in the past, then surely the first explanation is the correct one. Another reason to get rid of the Cricket management team!!

Or we wanted to see if the old-boy-that-Stewie-took-down-at-the-previous-meeting really could score 25 on a flat pitch. I believe he was all padded up, ready to go....
Olympian2
Olympian2

dougieginn, Badges and paultpm like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:22 am

Bob Willis Trophy final. Turn on Youtube stream, look at scorecard.

Ahahahaha

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:31 pm

And this is the opposite of the Oval last week. I don't know which pitches are worst, Lords or the Oval. 5 Days? If it's not finished tomorrow it'll be too dark by Saturday. Jesus we have some imbeciles running cricket don't we.

Chinaman

Badges and Keith Powell like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:13 pm

Maybe it was their poor batting?

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:31 am

I think it was both. The pitch has been difficult but certainly not 78 all out. Lancs have bowled badly in reply too.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:40 am

Athers and Nasser talking about the Championship structure next year. Athers against one division, but was fairly ambivalent about whether to have this system or the 2 divisions. The early part of the season, he felt, was better this year, but obviously at the end of the season some of the counties weren’t in it properly. Nasser more heavily in favour of two divs.

They talked about the vote today for the conference in 2022 and finishing positions giving new divisions in 2023. I would probably vote in favour of that.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Pink Panther Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:21 pm

RB wrote:Athers and Nasser talking about the Championship structure next year. Athers against one division, but was fairly ambivalent about whether to have this system or the 2 divisions. The early part of the season, he felt, was better this year, but obviously at the end of the season some of the counties weren’t in it properly. Nasser more heavily in favour of two divs.

They talked about the vote today for the conference in 2022 and finishing positions giving new divisions in 2023. I would probably vote in favour of that.
It probably helps that we had regular weekly Championship fixtures starting on a Thursday for two whole months, uninterrupted by other competitions, with all the Test players involved. However, having played more than half the fixtures in the first two months, we then had a long gap before completing the final two first phase rounds in July then another long gap before the second phase in September, by which time it all felt a bit irrelevant for the two thirds of counties who didn't make the cut to contest the Championship. In a normal season our 2 wins and 3 defeats plus a lot of draws may or may not have been sufficient to stay in Division 1, but at least the final few games would have had something riding on them to sustain interest.
Pink Panther
Pink Panther

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by cricketman Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:55 am

As we finished 11th. this year, it would have meant relegation. You can therefore guarantee that our last game would have been played on a "results" pitch!

cricketman

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:33 am

cricketman wrote:As we finished 11th. this year, it would have meant relegation. You can therefore guarantee that our last game would  have been played on a "results" pitch!

As Fortis was meant to serve up for the Leics game and we know what happened there.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:32 pm

Really can’t see the point of preparing a pitch like this, unless you didn’t want to lose. Pointless,like so much from Surrey management this.I’m sure that if we had been relegated this season,Stewart would have been sacked. Unfortunately,because the conference system is so complicated,most people don’t understand how bad we were!!

dougieginn

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:53 pm

I maybe naive but I do not believe this was how they wanted the pitch to play - but it’s disappointing that this pitch has been essentially laughed off by the club and most of the media. I’ve seen little criticism of it. If there are difficulties in preparing a pitch to provide competitive cricket then somebody should tell us why that is, be it Fortis or Stewie, whoever. We need to understand why this happened (again) because I think we should have had the same punishment as Somerset for preparing an anti-cricket pitch.

I recall on MTWD there used to be regular contributions from a groundsman. Adelaide I’m sure will recall. It would be useful to have such expertise on here for the 2/3 times a year when we are forced to watch some anti-cricket.

Cee Gee

guildfordbat and Pink Panther like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5