Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Title run in

+10
Badges
optimistnot
Keith Powell
dougieginn
Alex!
Coatesy
Pink Panther
Chinaman
offdrive4
Cee Gee
14 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Title run in  Empty Title run in

Post by Cee Gee Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:00 pm

I thought it worth comparing the games left between us and Hants. Lancs aren’t out of it yet but I think Hants and us are the main two. Hants have:

Yorks (A)
Northants (H)
Kent (H)
Warks (A)

Surrey have:

Warks (H)
Northants (A)
Yorks (H)
Lancs (A)

I think our run in is by far the tougher of the two. Yorks away is probably their toughest game but they are currently far from full strength. It’s vital that we win next week and hopefully build more of a cushion because that 14 point lead won’t last long given the roll Hants are currently on.

Cee Gee

Back to top Go down

Title run in  Empty Re: Title run in

Post by Cee Gee Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:00 pm

It looks like we’ll be without Will Jacks for the run-in with the news that he’s expected to be named in the T20 squad for Pakistan. Hopefully Jason Roy is practising his spin bowling.

Cee Gee

Back to top Go down

Post by offdrive4 Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:46 pm

Jacks is not on a central contract so can play for Surrey until the squad for Pakistan gathers. I have some doubts whether Surrey would stand up to the ECB if they requested he be rested.

Given the floods in Pakistan I wonder whether the tour will go ahead

offdrive4

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:59 pm

offdrive4 wrote:Jacks is not on a central contract so can play for Surrey until the squad for Pakistan gathers.   I have some doubts whether Surrey would stand up to the ECB if they requested he be rested.

Half the country is under water so it could well be cancelled. They have more important things to do.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pink Panther Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:37 pm

Chinaman wrote:
offdrive4 wrote:Jacks is not on a central contract so can play for Surrey until the squad for Pakistan gathers.   I have some doubts whether Surrey would stand up to the ECB if they requested he be rested.

Half the country is under water so it could well be cancelled. They have more important things to do.

Apparently the squad is due to depart on 14th September, which is before the end of the Northamptonshire game. I read a news item this morning (sorry, don'r recall the source) suggesting the tour would go ahead. Also that Root, Bairstow and Stokes would be rested, with Buttler a fitness doubt, therefore places would be available for the likes of Jacks and Smeed.
Pink Panther
Pink Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:59 pm

As others have suggested, events have probably overtaken these plans. I fear the wickets might be a little wet for Jacks's part-time spin (sorry, probably not in the best of taste!)
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by offdrive4 Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:32 pm

I did not realise the tour was before the end of the season.. Appaling scheduling and another blow to championship cricket, but of course in those circumstances Jack's and Topley will not be available for Surrey.

offdrive4

Back to top Go down

Post by Pink Panther Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:04 am

offdrive4 wrote:I did not realise the tour was before the end of the season..   Appaling scheduling and another blow to championship cricket,  but of course in those circumstances Jack's  and Topley will not be available for Surrey.
I've only just realised there's an extra week's gap before the final Test, so it doesn't end until the first day of the Northamptonshire match. Therefore Pope and Foakes will be also be missing, as well as Jacks, Topley, probably Sam Curran, maybe Tom Curran plus anyone else who is out injured. All reports suggest Roy will be dropped by England for poor form but whether he merits a place in our championship XI after 3 years playing no red ball cricket is doubtful.
Pink Panther
Pink Panther

Keith Powell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Coatesy Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:36 am

squads announced

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/news/12173/12687540/jason-roy-england-opener-left-out-of-t20-world-cup-squad-and-for-preceding-pakistan-tour

so for the Northants game we will be missing Pope, Foakes, Jacks, S Curran & Topley

Coatesy

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:38 am

offdrive4 wrote:I did not realise the tour was before the end of the season..   Appaling scheduling and another blow to championship cricket,  but of course in those circumstances Jack's  and Topley will not be available for Surrey.

If the ECB hadn't flaked out on touring Pakistan at the end of the season last year we wouldn't find ourselves in the position we're in.

Nonetheless, at least Jacks has a seemingly decent chance of playing instead of just doing fuck all

Alex!

Pink Panther likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Coatesy Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:47 am

Cee Gee wrote:I thought it worth comparing the games left between us and Hants. Lancs aren’t out of it yet but I think Hants and us are the main two. Hants have:

Yorks (A)
Northants (H)
Kent (H)
Warks (A)

Surrey have:

Warks (H)
Northants (A)
Yorks (H)
Lancs (A)

I think our run in is by far the tougher of the two. Yorks away is probably their toughest game but they are currently far from full strength. It’s vital that we win next week and hopefully build more of a cushion because that 14 point lead won’t last long given the roll Hants are currently on.

just to mention that each team only has 3 games left, not 4 as listed. we dont play in the next round of fixtures, when Hants play Northants, and they dont play in the following round, when we play Northants.

Coatesy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:06 am

Coatesy wrote:
Cee Gee wrote:I thought it worth comparing the games left between us and Hants. Lancs aren’t out of it yet but I think Hants and us are the main two. Hants have:

Yorks (A)
Northants (H)
Kent (H)
Warks (A)

Surrey have:

Warks (H)
Northants (A)
Yorks (H)
Lancs (A)

just to mention that each team only has 3 games left, not 4 as listed. we dont play in the next round of fixtures, when Hants play Northants, and they dont play in the following round, when we play Northants.

We did have 4 at the date of the original post 🤩

Cee Gee

Pink Panther likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Coatesy Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:26 am

my apologies, so we did

I assumed (wrongly) that this was a new thread started yesterday

Coatesy

Cee Gee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:34 am

As I have often said, The Hundred is by no means the whole of the problem the ECB have created. Thommo needs to get a grip on the amount of unnecessary international cricket which makes a mockery of the championship. Until that is sorted, I don't give a damn about the England teams, red or white ball.
Jackers
Jackers

Badges, Keith Powell and Pink Panther like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:51 am

As frustrating as this break is between CC games it will work out well for us if we end up having Worrall, Overton back from injury. Wasn’t Atkinson injured too? I’ve lost track.

Cee Gee

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:54 pm

As a matter of interest the overall forecast for next week is showers in Southampton all week when Hants play Northants. The following week when we play Northants away is dry with sunny intervals.

Chinaman

Keith Powell and Cee Gee like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:52 pm

Tom Curran’s career has fallen to the point where it’s not even mentioned that he’s not in either England squad announced today. Time to come and play some proper cricket lad.

Cee Gee

guildfordbat and Pink Panther like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by offdrive4 Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:02 pm

As we are to be denied our white ball internationals and for the Northants match our test players too it looks to me that we will be short of batting for northants. If Worrall and Overton are not fit our bowling will be damaged for all three games. I don't know about having a replacement spinner for Jack's, if the pitch looks like turning then Moriarty should get a game as Virdi looks a shadow of the bowler he was. Trouble is neither spinner bats. Team selection will be interesting!!

offdrive4

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:17 pm

Well I was going to say Roy would be available, but with Bairstow out of all cricket for the forseable future, I expect he'll get a recall, as England seem determined not to play Vince or Hales. Not sure where that leaves us, but it'll be a flat pitch almost certainly as a draw would suit Northants rather than lose. Presumabl y Burns, Smith and Clarke will play.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:41 am

Important that we have Roach and Amal available with so many absentees.

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Powell Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:31 am

I know its early days but the forcast for northants at the moment is not looking good hopefully a false alarm.

Keith Powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:44 pm

Keith Powell wrote:I know its early days but the forcast for northants at the moment is not looking good hopefully a false alarm.

Yes and if it's the BBC it's changed 3 times in the last 3 days from dry to wet!
Other sites are giving generally good with occasional showers. But with the weather who knows even the day before. Last 6 weeks have been glorious just right for the shite show 100, sods law it'll change now the proper stuff is back.

Chinaman

Keith Powell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by optimistnot Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:37 pm

A rain effected draw at Northants may well be a good result for us given the squad that will be available to us.
We will have players in the test side and then we have players flying off to Pakistan on the 14/09.

optimistnot

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:51 pm

We have to assume that Hampshire will beat one or possibly both of Northants and Kent at home. I suspect that we will need to win at least one, and possibly two, of our last three games.
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by offdrive4 Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:02 pm

We will be without Foakes and Pope for the Northants game as well as S curran, Topley and Jacks for all three games.. in these circumstances my team for Northants is something like Burns, Patel, Amla, Smith, Geddes, Clark, Lawes, Overton, Atkinson, Worrall, Roache. Incredibly heavy on fast medium bowlers, but little option unless you risk an out of form Roy who has not played red ball cricket for ages. The Professor would replace Atkinson if the pitch is expected to turn. Pope and Foakes would then return in place of Geddes and Atkinson. If Worrall and Roache are not fit then we are up the creek!

offdrive4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum