Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Two-week delay in full opening would be a crushing blow to Surrey - and county cricket

+14
Cee Gee
Olympian2
Coatesy
cricketman
Basileus1453
Badges
Alex!
Ali888
RB
Chinaman
Jackers
adelaide
Robertoflondon
guildfordbat
18 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Two-week delay in full opening would be a crushing blow to Surrey - and county cricket - Page 2 Empty Re: Two-week delay in full opening would be a crushing blow to Surrey - and county cricket

Post by Ali888 Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:22 pm

adelaide wrote:
Chinaman wrote:The vaccines boost your immune system. In doing so you are far less likely to suffer serious effects.

Yes, the boost to the immune system from the flu jab protected old people really well from Covid, didn't it? Or, if we are talking variants, why would it be necessary to revise the spec of the flu jab regularly?

Influenza and Covid are different viruses. A flu vaccine won't give protection against Covid and vice versa.

Ali888

Back to top Go down

Two-week delay in full opening would be a crushing blow to Surrey - and county cricket - Page 2 Empty Re: Two-week delay in full opening would be a crushing blow to Surrey - and county cricket

Post by adelaide Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:06 pm

Ali888 wrote:
adelaide wrote:
Chinaman wrote:The vaccines boost your immune system. In doing so you are far less likely to suffer serious effects.

Yes, the boost to the immune system from the flu jab protected old people really well from Covid, didn't it? Or, if we are talking variants, why would it be necessary to revise the spec of the flu jab regularly?

Influenza and Covid are different viruses.  A flu vaccine won't give protection against Covid and vice versa.

Agreed but the flu jab needs to be revised fairly regularly and that is because of new variants. The same is very likely true of Covid, in which case a boost to your immune system from a jab will not protect you against a sufficiently different new variant, if one arrives (which we all hope it hasn't, and won't).

Last edited by adelaide on Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clumsy typing)

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:09 am

Well, another 4 weeks is go. Cue a scramble for how on Earth they're going to sort tickets for those T20s next week as well as the England/Sri Lanka ODI

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:45 am

And I bet by July 19th they'll find another variant from God knows where, and bolt down the rabbit hole again.
For those going to Hampshire for the CC on July 4th I am going to phone once this current nonsense is confirmed and check whether they are going to restrict to Members only. Hopefully not as 25% is about 3500. I'll let you know.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:47 am

I'll be at the match tonight so I won't be watching Boris making the announcement flanked by the Two Ronnies of Doom with their scary graphs.

I've heard a couple of rumours that some of the existing restrictions may yet be eased from next week: limits on numbers attending weddings have been mentioned. I also think there will be huge pressure to allow larger crowds in to outdoor venues as we are in the middle of the Euros with the prospect of England playing knockout matches at Wembley. Wimbledon fortnight is just around the corner too.

If that does turn out to be the case then counties will breathe a huge sigh of relief. I would have no grumbles with another few weeks of being told to wear masks in shops, restaurants and on public transport and for those who are now most at risk (the younger, unvaccinated population) being denied access to indoor venues such as nightclubs and theatres and having to work from home.

The barbecue on the beach at the G7 in Cornwall at the weekend was a heavy hint that they recognise that they can allow relaxation of social distancing rules at outdoor events. Fingers crossed....
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:59 am

Chinaman wrote:And I bet by July 19th they'll find another variant from God knows where, and bolt down the rabbit hole again.
For those going to Hampshire for the CC on July 4th I am going to phone once this current nonsense is confirmed and check whether they are going to restrict to Members only. Hopefully not as 25% is about 3500. I'll let you know.

Thanks. I booked my four-day match ticket a few weeks ago, and the email acknowledgement said that they would issue the tickets by email two weeks before the event, which is next weekend. It also said that any tickets pre-purchased are fully refundable if you are not able to attend because they are required to reduce stadium capacity as a result of COVID restrictions.

Naturally, Hampshire members will get priority but I don't know whether that will take them up to the 25% quota. It may be that it takes them close, but that they can still accommodate a few hundred paying customers each day. My advice would be to pre-book asap rather than wait for the Government announcement (given the refund guarantee I mentioned above) because they will obviously fill any remaining quota on a "first come first served" basis.

It may also be academic if Boris exempts outdoor events from being subject to the extension to the restrictions (see my post immediately above this) but I don't think we can count on that.
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:04 pm

We have 4 day passes and are booked in to the hotel with seats looking on to the pitch.Not quite sure what the view will be like as it's the first time we've done this!

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:11 pm

Hi Badges - what are day passes here? Good luck anyway!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:39 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Hi Badges - what are day passes here? Good luck anyway!

If you go on the Hampshire web site you can buy a 4 day pass for £33 on the over 65 rate. Otherwise I think it's £48 for everyone else. Cheaper than buying on the ground.

Chinaman

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:54 pm

Just phoned Hants and the 4 day passes and other pre booked tickets are fully refundable in the event of further restrictions. They are going to post an update after the announcement at around
6 pm, but the chap said that until then he couldn't guarantee how many members/spectators will be allowed in.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:56 pm

I paid 48 x 2 for ours-and we are both over 65.Jumped in without looking as usual!Still very cheap though.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:04 pm

4 week delay to be reviewed in two weeks from the 21st will keep reduced capacity at all sports events unless they are a test event(e.g. Euros). Have just emailed Hants to give an update on visiting spectators for July 4th, unless anyone has heard anything yet?

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Powell Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:40 pm

Have tickets for Sri Lanka one day game assume they will hold a ballot to see who gets tickets?

Keith Powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:58 pm

Chinaman wrote:4 week delay to be reviewed in two weeks from the 21st will keep reduced capacity at all sports events unless they are a test event(e.g. Euros). Have just emailed Hants to give an update on visiting spectators for July 4th,  unless anyone has heard anything yet?

Re "visiting spectators"...whether we happen to support Hampshire,  Surrey or neither is - or at least should be - irrelevant: the key is whether they have space for any paying customers once Hampshire members who want to go have been satisfied. We should know within a couple of days.
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Two-week delay in full opening would be a crushing blow to Surrey - and county cricket - Page 2 Empty Priority for members?

Post by Basileus1453 Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:13 am

Enjoyed the game tonight.

This situation is unfortunate though not a complete surprise to me personally.

That being said I was looking forward to going to the matches next week. I held off booking a Members Ticket against my better judgement. I was hoping that I'd be able to invite some friends to the matches next week. However on reading the email from the club concerning the revised plan, I decided to just book my E-Ticket. Despite the club saying it is prioritizing members, it seems apparent that the site won't let me book my seat, unless I actually pay for another ticket.

Must admit being somewhat miffed and concerned about this.

Whilst there is every chance I can get someone to come along, it is something of a point of principle perhaps.

Has anyone any thoughts on how members will be allocated the seats or indeed is anyone in the same or similar predicament?

Basileus1453

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Powell Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:20 am

A friend of mine tried to book tickets for T20 next week he was told he had exceeded his limit even though only tried for one members ticket he will call box office tomorrow.

Keith Powell

Back to top Go down

Post by cricketman Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:01 am

Whatever happened to the promised £300M bailout as menyioned in the budget? We certainly need some!

cricketman

Back to top Go down

Post by Basileus1453 Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:54 am

Keith Powell wrote:A friend of mine tried to book tickets for T20 next week he was told he had exceeded his limit even though only tried for one members ticket he will call box office tomorrow.

Well I'd be curious as to how your friend gets on. On checking the site this morning, the matches are no longer available to select.

Probably all sold out. I did book tickets for a friend to come to the Middlesex match but I expect that to be bumped off as well.

Basileus1453

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:59 am

Yes I agree, and considering yet another Government "advisor"has just said that if hospitalization has gone up by July 19th all options should be considered. Could effect the India Tests and Pakistan One Day Series. This is more about control of the population than the virus now, frankly I don't believe a word they say any more. Talk about crippling people's livelihoods.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Two-week delay in full opening would be a crushing blow to Surrey - and county cricket - Page 2 Empty Experts

Post by Basileus1453 Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:07 am

Chinaman wrote:Yes I agree, and considering yet another Government "advisor"has just said that if hospitalization has gone up by July 19th all options should be considered. Could effect the India Tests and Pakistan One Day Series. This is more about control of the population than the virus now, frankly I don't believe a word they say any more. Talk about crippling people's livelihoods.

But it's fine if an 'expert' absolves the Government of responsibility. This is likely to go on for a few years because there are possibilities to build back better. Even with the best of intentions, they have placed themselves in such a bind. Should they drop facemasks now, it's possible that testing would increase as anyone who picks up any bug will look to be tested as the first point of call.

I'd put money on there being a lockdown in the winter and quite frankly the pandering media are making this a deeper bind. A fetish towards a road map ought to be replaced with clear comprehensive set of KPI.

Basileus1453

Back to top Go down

Post by Coatesy Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:22 am

Chinaman wrote:Yes I agree, and considering yet another Government "advisor"has just said that if hospitalization has gone up by July 19th all options should be considered. Could effect the India Tests and Pakistan One Day Series. This is more about control of the population than the virus now, frankly I don't believe a word they say any more. Talk about crippling people's livelihoods.

I have tried to stay away from the politics chat on the forum, but I have to ask a question

If hospital admissions are still on the rise on July 19th, am I right in thinking that you believe that the restrictions should be lifted as planned, because to me that doesnt make sense.
There were 3 reasons, in my mind, that the delay was announced yesterday 1) To allow more adults to get their 1st jab 2) To allow more adults to get their 2nd jab, and therefore be fully immunised and 3) To ease any possible pressure that may have been put on the NHS if the restrictions were lifted next week as planned

Yes, I understand that this doesnt help the hospitality sector amongst others, but it is a lot better than opening up, everybody thinking everything is rosy and back to normal, and then in a few weeks time the NHS is overrun (again) and we go back into a full lockdown, which I am sure you agree nobody wants

Coatesy

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Powell Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:35 am

All members that have bought tickets in advance will get an email from Surrey this afternoon .
Probably regarding next week's T20 games and ODI.
We will probably need to apply for tickets for the Somerset game on 11th July like previously done

Keith Powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:16 pm

I didn't realise they put this on website last night with regards to tickets for next weeks T20 fixtures. Feels a bit sneaky as I've not had an email or couldn't see anything on their social channels

https://www.kiaoval.com/main-news/member-t20-ticket-access/

I've booked my tickets at the back of the Peter May Stand, weirdly it allows you book the pavilion

Alex!

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Basileus1453 Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:25 pm

Alex! wrote:I didn't realise they put this on website last night with regards to tickets for next weeks T20 fixtures. Feels a bit sneaky as I've not had an email or couldn't see anything on their social channels

I've booked my tickets at the back of the Peter May Stand, weirdly it allows you book the pavilion

Good information there. Many thanks. I didn't see that on the landing page but I suppose they had to make sure everything was up and running.

Big shame about the crowd and feel sorry for people who have booked to take their kids.

Basileus1453

Back to top Go down

Post by Olympian2 Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:34 pm

Alex! wrote:I didn't realise they put this on website last night with regards to tickets for next weeks T20 fixtures. Feels a bit sneaky as I've not had an email or couldn't see anything on their social channels

Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately, I'm trying to book two Member tickets for Essex on Monday (and have reassigned one to another Member) but am being told that 'Unfortunately, you are attempting to purchase more tickets for a match than you are allowed to'.

Thanks in advance if anyone can propose a resolution. No worries if not, I'm sure it'll sort itself out in the next day or so.
Olympian2
Olympian2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next