Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2023 General Committee Elections

+4
guildfordbat
Jackers
offdrive4
David W
8 posters

Go down

2023 General Committee Elections Empty 2023 General Committee Elections

Post by David W Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:21 am

Voting is underway and I am standing for election.

Members should have received an email this morning and voting is online rather than by post as in previous years.

I'm not a regular on this board but some of you will know me as I am a regular home and away and I was involved in the campaign to get members a voice on the Strauss report which helped secure the member consultation events last year.

I am @davidoncricket on Twitter for those who are also on there.

I hope some of you are able to support me.

Thank you

David Wright
David W
David W

Back to top Go down

2023 General Committee Elections Empty Re: 2023 General Committee Elections

Post by offdrive4 Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:01 am

Vote for the candidates who support county cricket, particularly the championship.

offdrive4

guildfordbat and The Heathen like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by David W Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:05 am

offdrive4 wrote:Vote for the candidates who support county cricket, particularly the championship.

I certainly fit that description but I'm not the only one.

If I said I'm not a franchise fan, that would be brief understatement.
David W
David W

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:12 am

I've had a look, and I have to say it is much easier and quicker doing it online, for (I imagine) the majority of members who have an email account. I assume the club will still be providing a postal option for any who for whatever reason don't.

If we assume that dear old Pat Pocock is a shoo-in (quite right too!) I judge that of the other five candidates, the three who seem to prioritise the battle for the soul of county cricket and are most likely to fight our corner rather than just act as nodding nellies to the great and the good are Mike Reeve, Chris Payne and David Wright. Good luck to all three of them.
Jackers
Jackers

Chinaman and David W like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:42 pm

David W wrote:Voting is underway and I am standing for election.

Members should have received an email this morning and voting is online rather than by post as in previous years.

I'm not a regular on this board
but some of you will know me as I am a regular home and away and I was involved in the campaign to get members a voice on the Strauss report which helped secure the member consultation events last year.

Thank you

David Wright

David,

Thank you for your post and, more particularly, your work in helping secure the member consultation events last year.

I would request though that you do appear more regularly on this board. A concern I have (and I suspect I'm not alone) is that we hear quite a bit from most candidates before each election but very little afterwards as to what they are doing on our behalf and what is actually happening at our Club.

I would appreciate an assurance that will not apply to you.

Thanks again, Guildford.

guildfordbat

Keith Powell, Chinaman and David W like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:20 pm

Yes I very much echo this. There is only one candidate here that actually talks to Members, often home and away, and that's Chris Payne. Should have been elected last year, no idea why not. To be frank although  I've heard of most of the others, I never see them. As GB says there is never any feedback and this board would be an ideal place to start. I know who I'll be voting for.

Chinaman

guildfordbat, Keith Powell and The Heathen like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by David W Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:23 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
David W wrote:Voting is underway and I am standing for election.

I'm not a regular on this board
but some of you will know me as I am a regular home and away and I was involved in the campaign to get members a voice on the Strauss report which helped secure the member consultation events last year.

Thank you

David Wright

David,

Thank you for your post and, more particularly, your work in helping secure the member consultation events last year.

I would request though that you do appear more regularly on this board. A concern I have (and I suspect I'm not alone) is that we hear quite a bit from most candidates before each election but very little afterwards as to what they are doing on our behalf and what is actually happening at our Club.

I would appreciate an assurance that will not apply to you.

Thanks again, Guildford.

Thanks for that - fair comment, I am frequently on Twitter but that's not everyone's cup of tea.

I am near ever present at Surrey games (I expect to do all Championship games this year apart from Old Trafford and the Taunton days that clash with the Test) so very much available there but yes, I will make myself more present on here if I am elected.

Something I raised with the club was a lack of contact with the committee and they made the gc@surreycricket.com email more known - a committee member I knew wasn't even aware of that so most members wouldn't be either. This means members can contact the committee without having to know someone personally.

This board also allows direct messages.

The whole point of the GC is to be a connection between members and the club and that only works with communication.

David
David W
David W

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:58 pm

Thank you, David.

I suggest you get ready for government.

guildfordbat

dougieginn and David W like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:42 pm

Whoever is elected to the General Committee this year, I trust their attendance records will be considerably better than those of two of our former players.

As confirmed in the latest Annual Report & Accounts, Alex Tudor attended just three of seven General Committee meetings whilst Martin Bicknell attended a mere one. Utterly pathetic and very unfair on those like Chris Payne who previously stood unsuccessfully and were prepared to put in the hard yards. Whether Tudor and Bicknell couldn't be arsed or had legitimate reasons, I don't know. However, even if the latter, they should have resigned and allowed a willing and able person to take on the responsibility.

Pleased though that one former player had a 100% attendance being at all seven General Committee meetings - Arun Harinath. That doesn't surprise me.

guildfordbat

dougieginn, Jason, Chinaman and offdrive4 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:44 am

Mark Butcher was as bad. They treat this as a tick on their CV. When do you actually hear any feedback from this talk shop? At least now we have an email and I'm pretty sure David and Chris will keep as well informed if elected.

Chinaman

dougieginn, Jason, guildfordbat, Keith Powell and David W like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Powell Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:52 pm

Have always thought ex players should be honorary members and not stand for the committee as its pretty certain they will be elected .
Have often thought about raising it at forums but might be in a minority.

Keith Powell

The Heathen likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jackersfan Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:17 am

I am supporting you David, but you obviously knew that already.

The issue of ex-players is a thorny one and has been raised many times. Certainly the idea of them being a honorary 'think tank' has been raised.

I worried last year that Arun would feel the backlash from previous attendance records, as I was sure that he would actually be assiduous in his attendance. This has proved to be correct.

I am yet to be convinced that the 'GC email address' is fulfilling its supposed intended purpose.

jackersfan

Jason, guildfordbat, Keith Powell and Chinaman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:37 am

Yes. It's good to have the email, but this is more about GC Members actually talking and mingling with Surrey Members during match days....one who is up for election does this regularly even down to organising events for those members who go to most away games. Not that many Surrey Members regularly use this blog.

Chinaman

guildfordbat, Keith Powell and jackersfan like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by optimistnot Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:47 pm

Most player members are the clubs choice, it is a way to fill places with people who will not challenge the executive of the club and its ideas.

optimistnot

jackersfan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down